News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Started by Freeky, March 11, 2012, 04:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on July 23, 2013, 08:35:23 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 22, 2013, 08:44:31 PM
Zimmerman was the only person to stand up for a Black man beaten by Sanford police for no apparent reason some years ago.

I don't think he's a conscious racist.  I just think he's a cop wannabe with a hero complex.

ETA:  It wouldn't surprise me if this was staged.  Rollovers always result in injuries.

It definitely set off my fishy alarm, but subtly.

Pathologically extreme racist + Neighborhood Watch wannabe cop = no subtlety for me.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Freeky

Is it even possible for you to accept the posibility that "pathologically extreme racist" might not be true? Because you're screeching at this point, particularly considering the contents of Dok's post quoted there.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Zimmerman was the only person to stand up for a Black man beaten by Sanford police for no apparent reason some years ago.

I don't think he's a conscious racist.  I just think he's a cop wannabe with a hero complex.

ETA:  It wouldn't surprise me if this was staged.  Rollovers always result in injuries.

Yeah, I suspect that unconscious racial profiling played a role but I don't get the impression that he's knowingly or willfully racist. The main area in which blatant racism took place was in the way the local police handled the incident afterward.

And yeah, seems awfully improbable, but then again, how the hell do you stage rolling a Ford Explorer with a family of four inside?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 23, 2013, 05:32:43 PM

Yeah, I suspect that unconscious racial profiling played a role but I don't get the impression that he's knowingly or willfully racist. The main area in which blatant racism took place was in the way the local police handled the incident afterward.

And yeah, seems awfully improbable, but then again, how the hell do you stage rolling a Ford Explorer with a family of four inside?

If the cops are in on it?

You roll the vehicle, then the family gets in. 
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 23, 2013, 06:11:19 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 23, 2013, 05:32:43 PM

If the cops are in on it?

You roll the vehicle, then the family gets in.

I guess that makes sense. Would the family use their own car? Basically, I'm wondering how easily this would fall apart under scrutiny, if there were still such things as investigative reporters and one decided to look into this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There are no photographs of the vehicle, no mention of the family's name, and no one seems to have tried to track them down and interview them.

Hmmm.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on July 23, 2013, 05:09:30 PM
Is it even possible for you to accept the posibility that "pathologically extreme racist" might not be true? Because you're screeching at this point, particularly considering the contents of Dok's post quoted there.

Pathologically extreme racists usually aren't conscious of it. "Some of my best friends...", "I don't see color..." etc.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Freeky

I really don't see the logic in that.  Plenty of subconsciously racist people aren't extreme about it at all; most of the people I know who are more extreme say they ARE racist and the stereotypes fit perfectly most times, thereby excusing them from being non-PC. 

"Pathologically extreme racism" sounds like it would be a full-on phobia. 

If my thoughts on this are wrong, I would lobe to hear a well-reasoned post that doesn't rely on an argument that they are inferior in some way.

The Johnny

I would suppose his "heroism" trumps everything else, even his racism.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Freeky

I didn't fucking say that.  I think he's a piece of work, and I think Stella is allowing herself to circumvent her brain in this instance.

The Johnny

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on July 24, 2013, 05:54:27 AM
I didn't fucking say that.  I think he's a piece of work, and I think Stella is allowing herself to circumvent her brain in this instance.

I know you didn't, I did, it's my opinion.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Freeky

Quote from: The Johnny on July 24, 2013, 06:45:27 AM

Ah, shit.  I'm sorry, man.  :( 

The Johnny

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on July 24, 2013, 07:17:13 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on July 24, 2013, 06:45:27 AM

Ah, shit.  I'm sorry, man.  :(

My argument is basicly that, he is indeed a racist, but nobody is mono-phasic, so to speak, he seems to have a personal "fetish" on being regarded as important or heroic and that seems to be the main thing that flips his cookie while being racist plays a secondary role in the directive of his actions.

Everyone has seemingly contradictory behaviour, but in most cases it can be easily dissected by comparing with other cases to see the hierarchy of goals.

Idk, for example, the Republican NRA people: they appeal to rights and the constitution, but they don't support other "liberal" rights, like choice of maternity or minority rights, and are probably around the range of people that are anti-taxation and pro "smaller government"... so in conclusion, their main-line priority is what they think benefits them personally and that trumps everything else, and appeals to the Constitution just happen to coincide with a type of legitimacy that they don't really support.

-B.F. Skinner

Freeky

I totally agree with that. 

His possible desire of wanting to be a hero I sort of understand, too.  I mean, I want to be a hero to some people - I love helping people I love if it's within my power to do so, even when it really isn't but I think I can anyway.  I think that this kind of sentiment got mixed up with some racism and a penchant for vigilante protection, and that's where the hero complex falls apart or something

Left

Dunno if this was brought up in thread...
I was arguing about it on that other site, and this guy said "Well why didn't Martin call 911, or run for home?"

And it occurred to me...

Trayvon OUGHT to have had a right to "stand HIS ground!"

Trayvon had no duty to retreat!

Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy