News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Ain't It Awful?

Started by navkat, March 29, 2012, 04:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Not sure if this is C&R but...yeah...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP5ixUslcMA

QuoteThe NDRP vigorously makes the NDAA look like a simple law to stop jaywalking in comparison. Under the NDRP, the President now has the authority to seize any resource he deems "necessary" to uphold national security in wartime & peacetime.

This includes, but is not limited to the following. All farms (meaning all food), transportation systems, clean water, and oil/fuel. The NDRP even goes so far to say that people with skills the government could use may be called upon and forced to work for the government against their will.

navkat

Not covered and even better:
QuoteSec. 302.  Loans.  To reduce current or projected shortfalls of resources, critical technology items, or materials essential for the national defense, the head of each agency engaged in procurement for the national defense is delegated the authority of the President under section 302 of the Act, 50 U.S.C. App. 2092, to make loans thereunder.  Terms and conditions of loans under this authority shall be determined in consultation with the Secretary of the Treasury and the Director of OMB.

So what? Basically, the Powers That Be don't even have to pass a bailout bill ever again? This allows them to bail out anyone they wish in the name of security, strability and productive capacity?

Cain, Rog, am I reading that right?

LMNO

It seems to me that it's supposed to be a reorganization of a law passed in 1950 regarding information flow so it now includes the cabinet in times of "National Emergency".

How it will be used is another matter entirely.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: navkat on March 29, 2012, 04:25:06 PM
QuoteSec. 302.  Loans.  To reduce current or projected shortfalls of resources, critical technology items, or materials essential for the national defense, the head of each agency engaged in procurement for the national defense is delegated the authority of the President under section 302 of the Act, 50 U.S.C. App. 2092, to make loans thereunder.  Terms and conditions of loans under this authority shall be determined in consultation with the Secretary of the Treasury and the Director of OMB.

So what? Basically, the Powers That Be don't even have to pass a bailout bill ever again? This allows them to bail out anyone they wish in the name of security, strability and productive capacity?

Welcome to Argentina, circa 1948.  :lol:
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 29, 2012, 04:47:23 PM
Quote from: navkat on March 29, 2012, 04:25:06 PM

Welcome to Argentina, circa 1948.  :lol:

:horrormirth: :horrormirth: :horrormirth:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on March 29, 2012, 04:18:37 PM
Not sure if this is C&R but...yeah...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP5ixUslcMA

QuoteThe NDRP vigorously makes the NDAA look like a simple law to stop jaywalking in comparison. Under the NDRP, the President now has the authority to seize any resource he deems "necessary" to uphold national security in wartime & peacetime.

This includes, but is not limited to the following. All farms (meaning all food), transportation systems, clean water, and oil/fuel. The NDRP even goes so far to say that people with skills the government could use may be called upon and forced to work for the government against their will.

Hm... aren't these pretty identical to some of the major criticisms our government has of Castro?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

navkat

Fiddlesticks! We are way freer than those Cuban savages. I'm proud to know I still live in a land where I'm still free to not be forced into having healthcare.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: navkat on March 29, 2012, 05:44:21 PM
Fiddlesticks! We are way freer than those Cuban savages. I'm proud to know I still live in a land where I'm still free to not be forced into having healthcare.

Yeah, and just think, we could be stuck with cars so old that they're becoming priceless antiques.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/no-its-not-martial-law-its-preparedness/

Quotethe Executive Order itself is nothing more than a restatement of policy that has been in place in decades and grants no authority to the President or the Cabinet that they don't already have under existing law.

The Defense Production Act has been in effect since the Truman Administration, and authorizes the President to direct private business to allocate resources to national defense as needed in a time of national emergency. Since the end of the Cold War, if not before, the Act has been used primarily to use DOD contracting practices to direct investment in new technologies that would be used for defense purposes, however it still requires the Executive Branch to at least plan for the possibility of allocating resources for national defense in the event of a national emergency in much the same way that rationing was implemented during World War II.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/18/national-defense-resources-preparedness-executive-order-power-grab-or-update/

QuoteNote what this EO specifically orders: identify, assess, be prepared, improve, foster cooperation. None of these items claim authority to seize private property and place them at the personal disposal of Obama. What follows after Section 103 are the directives for implementing these rather analytical tasks, mostly in the form of explicit delegations of presidential authority to Cabinet members and others in the executive branch.

Why the update? If one takes a look at EO 12919, the big change is in the Cabinet itself. In 1994, we didn't have a Department of Homeland Security, for instance, and some of these functions would naturally fall to DHS. In EO 12919, the FEMA director had those responsibilities, and the biggest change between the two is the removal of several references to FEMA (ten in all). Otherwise, there aren't a lot of changes between the two EOs, which looks mainly like boilerplate.

Cain

Breaking news: anonymous strangers on Youtube might not be the best possible source of information.

LMNO

Wait... does that mean I was mostly right in my above post?

Cain

Yup. 

Also, the question no-one is asking is why now?  Why at this particular moment do those laws need clarification?

Hey, is there some kind of simmering conflict with a nation somewhere, perhaps in the Middle East, that seems to be reaching a fever pitch?  Maybe if people weren't flapping their hands about tyranny, they'd like to think about the implications of that for a bit?

LMNO

1) Who's the Smartest Guy in the Room now, bitches!  Oh, yeah.... Cain is.  For reals.

2) Proof being the above post.  But even if Iran (we are talking about Iran, right?) decides to go all stompy-stomp on Israel, would that create a "National Emergency" in the US?  Other than state-sponsored terrorism, what can Iran directly do to the US that would trigger NDRP?

Cain

Blockading the Straits of Hormuz would tie up 35 percent of all seaborne traded oil, or almost 20 percent of oil traded worldwide.

Think that might crash the US economy?

LMNO

I suppose it doesn't help that "National Emergency" isn't even remotely defined.

And I also suppose that we have a precedent (thanks to W) for "pre-emptive war", so perhaps we can declare an emergency before it even happens?

I'm wandering into the realms of personal ignorance again, I know.  Apart from 9/11, when was the last time the Defense Production Act was used?