News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Social network authoritarianism claims its first victim

Started by Cain, April 01, 2012, 09:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://www.dailydot.com/news/teacher-aide-suspended-facebook-refused-access/

QuoteA former teacher's aide in Michigan says she's been fired after refusing to give her Facebook password to her supervisors.

Kimberly Hester was employed directly by Less Cass Intermediate School District as an aide to a local elementary school. Last year, off work hours, she posted a picture of a co-worker's pants around her ankles with the caption "Thinking of you"—meant to be funny—to her Facebook page.

Someone—Hester suspects a particular parent who is Facebook friend—saw the photo and complained to the school. A few days later, the district Superintendent began repeatedly asking her for access to her Facebook page. Each time, Hester refused.

Soon after, the district's Special Education Director wrote to Hester, saying "n the absence of you voluntarily granting Lewis Cass ISD administration access to you[r] Facebook page, we will assume the worst and act accordingly."

Hester told the South Bend Tribune the district then suspended her and that she's currently on unpaid leave.

"I did nothing wrong. I would not, still to this day, let them into my Facebook," she said. "I don't think that's OK for an employer to ask you."

There isn't specific legislation protecting employees' social media rights, but it's a hot topic in Washington.

On Tuesday, the House of Representatives struck down an amendment that would prevent employers from asking potential employees for Facebook passwords. In response, several senators say they're drafting similar legislation to try again.

Emphasis mine.  At least some Senators seem concerned about this kind of thing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wow, fuck!

What's next? Will employers be allowed to monitor your home with video cameras and institute a curfew?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on April 01, 2012, 09:07:17 PM
Wow, fuck!

What's next? Will employers be allowed to monitor your home with video cameras and institute a curfew?

It's like the same obsession people show with celebrities. Except that employers are the paparazzi and your everyday shlub is the starlet.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

A lot of school restrooms have cameras. IT'S FOR YOUR CHILDREN. :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Elder Iptuous

regarding the bolded...
do we really need legislation to protect against this?  it seems a blatant invasion of privacy that should be protected under existing law...

Freeky

Quote from: Iptuous on April 01, 2012, 11:01:32 PM
regarding the bolded...
do we really need legislation to protect against this?  it seems a blatant invasion of privacy that should be protected under existing law...

Considering the article, I'd say the answer is a big fat YES.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on April 02, 2012, 03:25:47 AM
Quote from: Iptuous on April 01, 2012, 11:01:32 PM
regarding the bolded...

Considering the article, I'd say the answer is a big fat YES.
Or that's what they want you to think.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Anna Mae Bollocks

It don't no judge give a shit about them old privacy laws.
Y'all fuckin socializts need ta quit tryin to regulate BIDNESS.
           /
:redneck2:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

The only specific protection I can think of that directly impacts on giving up passwords is the Fifth Amendment, and judges have even ruled that suspects must give up their passwords to encrypted drives and folders, as I recall.

Template

At first I misread, and imagined that the legislature was going to conspire to breach a mutually beneficial contract.  That would have been fun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortious_interference

That, or the Facebook ToS was a coercive contract, and holds no water.