News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Well, that was upsetting...

Started by LMNO, April 13, 2012, 02:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I had several hours of free time to work on my music tonight, obligation free.  And nothing, I mean NOTHING, happened.  There are things that NEED to happen, I can see them in my head, hear them in my mind, but.  Nothing.

Fuck.  Have I trained myself to only be able to create at 5:30 in the morning? 

This is when I feel most useless.  I see th road in front of me, but I can't get there.  I can't even find my shoes.

Damn.  Guess I should go wash the dishes and fold laundry.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

My writing goes like that sometimes. I have the whole damn story outlined, all I need to do is start writing. And nothing happens. Drives me up the wall. Now I schedule laundry/clean the litterbox/dishes time and write haiku (that invariably turn into short stories) instead.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 13, 2012, 02:40:46 AM
I had several hours of free time to work on my music tonight, obligation free.  And nothing, I mean NOTHING, happened.  There are things that NEED to happen, I can see them in my head, hear them in my mind, but.  Nothing.

This is when I feel most useless.  I see th road in front of me, but I can't get there.  I can't even find my shoes.

I can only write when I'm supposed to be working.
Molon Lube

Salty

When that happens to me, which was the norm for some time, when I can't get to the road, I just walk. I just move those legs and no matter where I end up I feel better for it.

But I realize that might not work for everyone.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Eater of Clowns

You're still a rock and roller so long as you don't quit.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I hate it when I have hours to do something, and yet manage to piss it away on nothing useful.

Lately, I've been forcing myself to at least procrastinate in a productive way, doing something that is perhaps unrelated, but still useful.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

navkat

Muse is a mischievous prankster who disappears for days when I'm sitting in front of my laptop with word open and the best seat in the house left empty for her pompous ass to have a seat.

Never fails to inundate me with spitballs when I'm trying to drive the car though.

AFK

I would love to just have the time to write and record music.  I love my kids, I mean, I love them to death....but between being Daddy and being who I am in my profession....there's just no time. 

The last thing I recorded was that Spag II song for Dead Kennedy. 

But back when I did have the time I remember going through this.  Carving out a couple of hours to do in the basement to riff out some tuneage...

And nothing. 

It bites.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on April 13, 2012, 04:09:05 AM
I hate it when I have hours to do something, and yet manage to piss it away on nothing useful.

That's the high point of my week.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Danny Muffin

I hate it when that happens, but creativity is tricky like that. I can't force songs to happen, they usually have to emerge from the ether. With music though I find you can increase the chances of that happening by working on the technical side, rather than creative.

Practice your instrument. Practice a few different scales or play a cover, just mess around with it. If you're a computer music person, work on creating some new sounds. Download a new synth or effect, play around making new patches or work on production techniques. It's better than doing nothing and every now and then something creative will spark and off you go!

CorbeauEtRenard

I know how you feel.

I started feeling properly creative for the first time in a long while last night around an hour after I should've gone to sleep.

I compromised and laid the foundation for what I was thinking of in my head and then get some sleep.

In retrospect it's probably my own fault for holding off on reading stuff that inspires me until right before bedtime.

Not sure how long it'll be, but I'll have something nice and weird to post fairly soon, I promise.
Art is Dead! (If You Want It)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am having a spurt of creativity, and yet my time to make/write anything is incredibly limited, if not outright prevented by obligations and constant interruptions.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 13, 2012, 02:40:46 AM

Sounds like it's time to break the mold, Dr. LMNO.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish