News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

The Nelson Bird and Other Local Species

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, April 16, 2012, 04:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

So, there's this bird that I keep hearing that sounds like Nelson Muntz from the Simpson's laughing. So I just called it the Nelson Bird. I would say Nelson Bird to a friend, they'd think about it and go, "Oh yeah! I know what you're talking about!" Well, I was hearing a Nelson Bird today, and I thought, "Fuck it, I have to know what bird this is!" Well, I go to google and type in:
what's that bird that sounds like nelson laughing

And fuck me, something came up.

The bird in question is Poecile atricapillus, or the Black Capped Chickadee, which, incidentally is Massachusetts' (and Maine's) state bird.

This whole time I've been wondering about this bird, comparing it to a cartoon character, and it turns out that it's one of the official symbols of my Commonwealth. I recognize it's other call too. I just never figured it to be the same species.

Well, I think it's time that I started figuring out more about the life-forms around me. In the Medium City, it's easy to largely ignore them except for a small quirk, like the Nelson laugh. Consider this a "Monster of the Week" thread. You are welcome to comment on it, or to provide your own local monsters of the week. Don't limit yourself to animals either. If you can get a really nasty bacterium or a fungus, go for it!

Has birdsong, starts of with the HA-ha!
http://www.birdjam.com/birdsong.php?id=12

Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-capped_Chickadee
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love black-capped chickadees! My grandpa used to call me Chickadee.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: And it never occurred to me that their call sounds like Nelson's mockery.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on April 16, 2012, 04:40:52 PM
I love black-capped chickadees! My grandpa used to call me Chickadee.

looking at pictures of them, I don't think I've actually seen one before, just heard them. But they're friggin cute!

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 16, 2012, 10:58:39 PM
Player doesn't work for me.  :sad:

The HA-ha is at the beginning of this one too.

You can also hear the call it's named after: chicka-dee-dee-dee (predator warning. The more dees, the more dangerous)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjl9MUojYzY

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 16, 2012, 11:22:33 PM

You can also hear the call it's named after: chicka-dee-dee-dee (predator warning. The more dees, the more dangerous)

Though, I must say it sounds more like ticka-ha-ha-ha to me.

Kai

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 16, 2012, 04:22:12 PM
So, there's this bird that I keep hearing that sounds like Nelson Muntz from the Simpson's laughing. So I just called it the Nelson Bird. I would say Nelson Bird to a friend, they'd think about it and go, "Oh yeah! I know what you're talking about!" Well, I was hearing a Nelson Bird today, and I thought, "Fuck it, I have to know what bird this is!" Well, I go to google and type in:

The bird in question is Poecile atricapillus, or the Black Capped Chickadee, which, incidentally is Massachusetts' (and Maine's) state bird.

This whole time I've been wondering about this bird, comparing it to a cartoon character, and it turns out that it's one of the official symbols of my Commonwealth. I recognize it's other call too. I just never figured it to be the same species.

Well, I think it's time that I started figuring out more about the life-forms around me. In the Medium City, it's easy to largely ignore them except for a small quirk, like the Nelson laugh. Consider this a "Monster of the Week" thread. You are welcome to comment on it, or to provide your own local monsters of the week. Don't limit yourself to animals either. If you can get a really nasty bacterium or a fungus, go for it!

Wikipedia page:

Chicadees are one of those badass birds too. They're the sort you see flying around and chirping in a winter storm, as if to say "Weather? What weather?".
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 17, 2012, 03:00:17 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 16, 2012, 04:22:12 PM

Wikipedia page:

Chicadees are one of those badass birds too. They're the sort you see flying around and chirping in a winter storm, as if to say "Weather? What weather?".

That's awesome! I saw that they lower their body temperature in winter, but I never hear them around then. Probably too busy being bad-ass to talk.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 16, 2012, 11:22:33 PM

Thanks for that!

I miss those birds you have up there. Especially the bigass ravens.

I saw a big bird's head in the middle of Flax Pond in Lynn, once. It went underwater and didn't come up anywhere that I could see. Somebody told me it was a comorant.  :fnord:

I saw a wild turkey running through somebody's yard in Lynn, too.

Nephew Twiddleton

There was a turkey in villagers yard three weeks ago. Fuckers are big.

Nephew Twiddleton

There was also a peacock chilling outside a starbucks on beacon st in brookline when i lived there. Still dont know what that was about.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Nephew Twiddleton

Anna Mae Bollocks

They take their time. Circle, land, hop around, pick the shirt open, hop around, pick the eyes...

I've only seen them with animals, but I knew somebody who found a body and had to shoo them off.