News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Science disgrace in Portland!

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 19, 2012, 12:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Well, his career is basically over.

I never understand why some scientists fake results. That's the sort of shit you do at 3 in the morning the day of the science fair because you're a lazy 14 year old and put it off that long. Not something that you do if, you know, you're getting paid to do that sort of thing.

Is it just me or does it seem like more of these people are getting caught nowadays?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kai

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 19, 2012, 12:25:24 AM

I never understand why some scientists fake results. That's the sort of shit you do at 3 in the morning the day of the science fair because you're a lazy 14 year old and put it off that long. Not something that you do if, you know, you're getting paid to do that sort of thing.

Is it just me or does it seem like more of these people are getting caught nowadays?

Publish or perish. There is higher competition between scientists now than ever before. When your career rests upon money supplied for original research, you have to supply original research. Despite the fact that discovery doesn't happen like clockwork.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 19, 2012, 12:37:15 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 19, 2012, 12:25:24 AM

Publish or perish. There is higher competition between scientists now than ever before. When your career rests upon money supplied for original research, you have to supply original research. Despite the fact that discovery doesn't happen like clockwork.

Fair point.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS