News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Obama's campaign strategy

Started by Cain, April 22, 2012, 07:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Seems to be emerging.  At the very least, it promises to be somewhat amusing, which makes the utter pointlessness of the next 7 months somewhat more bearable:

QuoteThough it was obvious to almost no one at the time, Thursday, April 5, may have certified a momentous change in contemporary politics. It was that day when Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Reince Priebus was quoted saying that the Republican "war on women," a favorite liberal talking point, was a creation of Democrats and the media—no more reality-based than a Republican "war on caterpillars." It probably wasn't the most outlandish comment a GOP operative uttered that hour. Yet, by lunchtime, Obama Deputy Campaign Manager Stephanie Cutter had denounced Priebus for suggesting that reproductive-health issues had all the cosmic significance of larva. Soon Cutter's aggrieved response was all over the Internet and cable television. When I spoke with one strategist close to the White House the next day, he was utterly disbelieving: "The-war-on-caterpillars thing, I'm shocked it's getting any legs."

Welcome to the Obama campaign, version 2.0. If, as Mario Cuomo once said, you campaign in poetry and govern in prose, then running for reelection may be something akin to grunting at regular intervals. In 2008, Obamaland prided itself on rejecting such brass-knuckle politicking, much of it perfected by Bill Clinton. "We don't do war rooms," was a Team Obama mantra, as one veteran of the campaign and the administration recalls. These days, by contrast, there are dozens of operatives raring to pounce on the slightest Republican misstep.

The outsized war-room capabilities are hardly the only Clintonite technique the Obama apparatus has adopted. President Obama has rewarded his mega-donors with frequent trips to the White House. And, just as Clinton did in 1995 and 1996, Team Obama has lashed a moderate GOP front-runner to right-wingers in Congress and portrayed him as a mortal threat to the welfare state.

Far from a badge of dishonor, though, the new ruthlessness is actually a sign of maturity. "It's not like Bill Clinton created a war room because he had the personality for a war room," says the Obama administration veteran. "He did it because that's what you have to do today to respond to the crazy shit that comes your way." What Obama and his team have accepted is that, while there's a lot to be said for changing politics and elevating the discourse, your most important job as president is to defend your priorities. And the way to do that is to win.

You might not be able to afford bread before the year is out, but the circus is definitely still working.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on April 22, 2012, 07:52:20 PMWhen I spoke with one strategist close to the White House the next day, he was utterly disbelieving: "The-war-on-caterpillars thing, I'm shocked it's getting any legs."

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.