News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Kai explain your state.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, April 25, 2012, 08:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Every time I try to find a cheaper beer, I find yet another one from Milwaukee.

I should have a question here, but I really can't formulate it other than why is all the cheap beer from Milwaukee?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Phox

This should be obvious. It's Wisconsin. There is literally nothing to do except brew beer, because FunTM is illegal, and they don't even have pretty corn fields to watch grow.

Phox,
Will pay for this.  :lulz:

trippinprincezz13

True, but you'd think with all that time to brew beer, they'd be able to come up with something good
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lol: EOT needs to weigh in on this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on April 25, 2012, 03:00:31 PM
True, but you'd think with all that time to brew beer, they'd be able to come up with something good

Oh man, I love that your avatar is an ad for cheap beer from Milwaukee. I'm going to copy you.

Nephew Twiddleton

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 25, 2012, 05:32:43 PM

Oh man, I love that your avatar is an ad for cheap beer from Milwaukee. I'm going to copy you.

:lol: :lol: go figure, I didn't even catch/remember that was Schlitz ad when I was posting. It is quite an impressive spread of shitty beers they have from Milwaukee, with varying degrees of shittiness (I remember Schlitz being somewhat drinkable - as compared to the likes of Icehouse, Nattie Ice, etc.). I don't remember the last time I've seen Schaefer beer. It's possible, but if I'm going for quantity over quality I tend to stick with shitty beer I know. The Under 21 warning made me laugh a bit

Not 21 Yet?
Hang on to your youth while you can. We'll be around when you're ready.

"Not yet caught up in the grasp of alcoholism that would cause you to drink this beer? Save your liver while you can! We'll be waiting"

ETA: Nope, I see Schaefer at the store all the time. Just never bought it cuz of the unknown factor

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on April 25, 2012, 06:07:29 PM

:lol: :lol: go figure, I didn't even catch/remember that was Schlitz ad when I was posting. It is quite an impressive spread of shitty beers they have from Milwaukee, with varying degrees of shittiness (I remember Schlitz being somewhat drinkable - as compared to the likes of Icehouse, Nattie Ice, etc.). I don't remember the last time I've seen Schaefer beer. It's possible, but if I'm going for quantity over quality I tend to stick with shitty beer I know. The Under 21 warning made me laugh a bit

Not 21 Yet?

"Not yet caught up in the grasp of alcoholism that would cause you to drink this beer? Save your liver while you can! We'll be waiting"

ETA: Nope, I see Schaefer at the store all the time. Just never bought it cuz of the unknown factor

:lulz:

Schaefer is a beer that basically tastes like every other beer out of Milwaukee. In other words beer flavored beer, all malt and no hops. Did a little research and apparently they're owned by Pabst now, which is also from Milwaukee. I dunno, maybe they all taste different from a connoisseur's perspective, but my tongue just registers it all as cheap bland lager. But I do generally prefer ales, so maybe it's just me.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 25, 2012, 06:23:30 PM

Not 21 Yet?

Schaefer is a beer that basically tastes like every other beer out of Milwaukee. In other words beer flavored beer, all malt and no hops. Did a little research and apparently they're owned by Pabst now, which is also from Milwaukee. I dunno, maybe they all taste different from a connoisseur's perspective, but my tongue just registers it all as cheap bland lager. But I do generally prefer ales, so maybe it's just me.

I prefer IPA's myself, and shitty beer IS shitty beer, but if I find myself having to go that route (can't have fancy beer all the time!) there are subtle differences that make it more bearable, lol. While Busch and Keystone Light taste like water in a bottle/can with a little alcohol in it, Pabst tastes like a stomach ache the next day and Icehouse tastes like a fight and a headache the next day. But, as long as i won't wake up feeling awful the next day, it's usually whatever's cheapest.

The point being, for someone that has so much time on their hands, Milwaukee sucks at making beer, and for some reason the companies all decided to copy each other.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on April 25, 2012, 06:41:05 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 25, 2012, 06:23:30 PM

Not 21 Yet?

I prefer IPA's myself, and shitty beer IS shitty beer, but if I find myself having to go that route (can't have fancy beer all the time!) there are subtle differences that make it more bearable, lol. While Busch and Keystone Light taste like water in a bottle/can with a little alcohol in it, Pabst tastes like a stomach ache the next day and Icehouse tastes like a fight and a headache the next day. But, as long as i won't wake up feeling awful the next day, it's usually whatever's cheapest.

The point being, for someone that has so much time on their hands, Milwaukee sucks at making beer, and for some reason the companies all decided to copy each other.

Man, that's the truth if I ever heard it.

Also, there's this place in Charlestown/Somerville where Gogira and I met up, and their beer menu gives some pretty hilarious descriptions about the beers they serve (for example- Bud Light: Tastes like cardboard and patriotism). For PBR it said: Won an award in 1893. That's all it said.

I actually don't mind PBR and I prefer it over 'Gansett which has this really weird aftertaste lately (or maybe I was too drunk to care before). I'd rather my beer be tasteless than have a nasty taste.

Though, that said, I'd have ales an porters every night if I won the lottery.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also- Icehouse:

When I was working at a liquor store, one time my very first crush (this lasted from first grade to junior high) and her friend came in. She needed my help carrying a 30 pack of Icehouse back to her car.

Any residual feelings were abandoned that day.

E.O.T.

AN

old man tale which i love to tell the kids here in portlandia, is about pabst beer. i tell the kids that when i was in school, we didn't have pabst back patches or butt-flaps for our fashion statements, hell, we didn't even like pabst! the only time we drank it was at last call when everyone was broke, cause a pitcher could be had for like, $4.00

WISCONSIN

-! dude, it's about beer as much as anything! wander down water street and aside from getting mugged, you'll witness a heritage tour of america in cheap, swilly beer breweries!! there are so many! lots of them are gone, but tons of piss beer still kicks!

I CAN

say that wisconsin has been producing some great "micro" brews since the 80's too though. sprecher and leinenkugels, yay!! new glarus brewery is one of my faves when i make it back there.

AND

as opposed to the mountains of hops zombie "brewers" here on the west coast, the subtle art of taste still factors in with most micros coming out of wisconsin. ah, malty nourishment, not a hop infested titanic of pale fail. just good piss givin pure wastedness.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: E.O.T. on April 25, 2012, 07:03:14 PM
AN

old man tale which i love to tell the kids here in portlandia, is about pabst beer. i tell the kids that when i was in school, we didn't have pabst back patches or butt-flaps for our fashion statements, hell, we didn't even like pabst! the only time we drank it was at last call when everyone was broke, cause a pitcher could be had for like, $4.00

WISCONSIN

-! dude, it's about beer as much as anything! wander down water street and aside from getting mugged, you'll witness a heritage tour of america in cheap, swilly beer breweries!! there are so many! lots of them are gone, but tons of piss beer still kicks!

I CAN

say that wisconsin has been producing some great "micro" brews since the 80's too though. sprecher and leinenkugels, yay!! new glarus brewery is one of my faves when i make it back there.

AND

as opposed to the mountains of hops zombie "brewers" here on the west coast, the subtle art of taste still factors in with most micros coming out of wisconsin. ah, malty nourishment, not a hop infested titanic of pale fail. just good piss givin pure wastedness.

Kai

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 25, 2012, 08:05:33 AM
Every time I try to find a cheaper beer, I find yet another one from Milwaukee.

I should have a question here, but I really can't formulate it other than why is all the cheap beer from Milwaukee?

It's a sort of vortex of suck. Miller kicks it off, The Beast brings in the lowest of the low, and then everything in between. That said, there are a couple good breweries in Milwaukee (e.g. Sprecher), but they do not sell /cheap/ beer. Cheap Milwaukee beers are all ultra bland, ultra american pale lagers. In other words, like a white wine with no flavor. They're all in competition with each other to sell the most, so the quality goes out the bottom.

However, since all the suck is sucked into Milwaukee (the place where breweries go to die), the rest of the state is blessed with a wonderful assortment of small brewhouses. I love having one of my favorite breweries, Central Waters, just 15 minutes down the road.

Beer is really important in Wisconsin. Portage County, which is incidentally where I went to undergrad, has the highest amount of beer consumed of any county in the country, save Orange Co. California. Pretty much the only thing there is to do here on cold winter nights is drink. And there's the history as well, all the northern European immigrants that brought their beer trade to Milwaukee and started breweries there. It helps that we have pretty damn good water in Wisconsin, outside the Fox Valley watershed, the sort of groundwater that doesn't need any fixing before use.

I agree with EOT about New Glarus. Their Spotted Cow farmhouse ale is so simple yet so good.

Quote from: Doktor M. Phox0 on April 25, 2012, 02:02:33 PM
This should be obvious. It's Wisconsin. There is literally nothing to do except brew beer, because FunTM is illegal, and they don't even have pretty corn fields to watch grow.

Phox,
Will pay for this.  :lulz:

There's plenty to do, but not in the winter. Also, we have plenty of corn, just not to the horizon like you Northern Kentucks. Something about trees being ugly and making a mess of leaves in the fall. I swear, whenever I cross the state line I notice a striking difference in the number of trees.

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Quote from: E.O.T. on April 25, 2012, 07:03:14 PM

This needs to be repeated. There is nothing particularly appealing about bitter overwhelming your whole pallet while drinking a brew. Gimme a stout.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish