Based on the last 20 minutes, I can say with authority...

Started by Doktor Howl, April 27, 2012, 10:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Yeah, I'm getting that impression.  He should wear a t-shirt saying "U MAD BRO?". 

I like poking logical holes in such people's arguments.  It inevitably reduces them to a frothing rage.  Especially libertarian types, who have to believe their ideas are based on Reason, and thus are superior to everyone else.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on April 30, 2012, 08:17:09 PM
Yeah, I'm getting that impression.  He should wear a t-shirt saying "U MAD BRO?". 

I like poking logical holes in such people's arguments.  It inevitably reduces them to a frothing rage.  Especially libertarian types, who have to believe their ideas are based on Reason, and thus are superior to everyone else.

Actually, his t-shirt should read "LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!"

Or "I NEED AN ADULT!"

In any case, he's funny.  I thought for a moment or two that he was taking the piss, but then he started handing out ripped copies of Alex Jones movies.  Our company's code of conduct forbids that, but that's not up to me to enforce, and it's just too funny to fuck with.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Oysters Rockefeller

I think I'm at the point where I'm not sure "ideas based on reason" are a thing.

Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on April 30, 2012, 08:45:54 PM

I think I'm at the point where I'm not sure "ideas based on reason" are a thing.

Sure they are.

They're just really bad at reaching predetermined, irrational conclusions so they tend not to get a lot of love.

Oysters Rockefeller

Quote from: Cainad on May 01, 2012, 01:17:44 AM

Sure they are.

They're just really bad at reaching predetermined, irrational conclusions so they tend not to get a lot of love.

Good point.

I guess what I really meant there is that when I hear somebody claim to have made a decision or formed an opinion based on reason, I usually don't have a lot of faith in what is about to happen.

Or, if you like, there are a lot of "ideas based on reason", but very few ideas based on reason.
----------------------
----------------------

E.O.T.

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on May 01, 2012, 04:30:54 AM

Sure they are.

Good point.

I guess what I really meant there is that when I hear somebody claim to have made a decision or formed an opinion based on reason, I usually don't have a lot of faith in what is about to happen.

Or, if you like, there are a lot of "ideas based on reason", but very few ideas based on reason.

QUIZZICAL

,yet skeptical mr.spock face looking at you
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Telarus

IMO, ideas (can be) refined by Reason. Ideas are 'based' on slamming two previously unrelated concepts/experiences together.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Oysters Rockefeller

Yeah, that's a good way to put it.

You know, most people have an idea, and then go around talking about how reasonable it is and how much sense it makes, and BY THE WAY what is up with those non-nuking France types and why can't they just think for themselves like pro-nuking France types do.

Or you could talk to some 9/11 conspiracy types. They're all about logic and reason, but generally the only reason their ideas are based on is whatever reason they had for not looking up counterpoints to their own arguments, like a person interested in the truth might do.

I guess the argument starts to fall apart when you consider things like medical research that brings us cures for diseases. In theory, those were probably made using some kind of logical approach.

Quote from: E.O.T. on May 01, 2012, 05:01:16 AM
QUIZZICAL

,yet skeptical mr.spock face looking at you

Don't worry, as a professional delivery person, I am more than qualified probably full of shit.
----------------------
----------------------

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 30, 2012, 07:12:46 PM
The justification for this seems to be that I work for a multinational.

When I pointed out that he, too, works for the very same multinational, I was told that it was different because I'm in management.

By this logic, Nazi camp guards should not have been prosecuted.  When I explained this, he began to froth about how the holocaust was a myth started up by "international bankers" (read: Jews).

I predict HOURS of entertainment!  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on May 01, 2012, 04:30:54 AM

Sure they are.

Good point.

No.

No.

No.

Ideas may be based in inspiration, but even inspiration, like intuition, is informed by reason, which in turn is informed by observation. The idea may be incorrect due to faulty reasoning or observation, but all ideas are based in conscious or unconscious reasoning. It's what an idea IS.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

I don't know about that. I think the "slamming two unrelated concepts together" is a good way to put it, and the slamming can in certain cases also be caused by an external factor.

And what, exactly is "unconscious reasoning", does that even exist?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Oysters Rockefeller

I second that disagreement, obviously. But potentially for different reasons.

When I say ideas based in reason I'm talking about something that was prepared using sound logic. A lot of people claim to be using logic, and they may have reasoned their way to a conclusion, but that conclusion can still end up being wrong.

I guess my point there is that someone can reason their way to an unreasonable conclusion. Just because you observe something and make what you perceive to be an informed decision doesn't actually make you right.

For instance, if you still disagree, you could note that I think I'm using logic to arrive at a legitimate conclusion. That doesn't actually make me right.

I just mindfucked myself.
----------------------
----------------------

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 01, 2012, 04:23:04 PM
I don't know about that. I think the "slamming two unrelated concepts together" is a good way to put it, and the slamming can in certain cases also be caused by an external factor.

And what, exactly is "unconscious reasoning", does that even exist?

"Unconscious reasoning" is the instant, non-deliberate analysis of hundreds of tiny pieces of information you take in constantly that affect your decision-making process without consciously considering them.

In what way is "slamming two ideas together" (AKA putting two and two together) not a use of reasoning? For that matter, most ideas are not epiphanic moments such as the "AHA!" of suddenly seeing how seemingly disparate things relate, but develop slowly with the accumulation of data.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel