News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

HEY DISCORDIA:

Started by Salty, June 07, 2012, 10:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

You may be a diverse group of people with varied life experiences and perspectives and opinions, but, as evidenced by the most recent DRUGZLOL thread (and the last dozen or so) you all share one commonality:

You take the term "argumentative" and you tie it down to a chair with no seat and beat its testicles in with a rope until it agrees with everything you have to say. Then you drag it down to the sea and shove its face into the waves until it comes up with new evidence to back your claims. Then you tie it upside down beneath a tree branch and shoot it in the abdomen with a potato cannon until it writes a 300 page thesis on why it's fallacious to disagree with you on any subject at any time or space.

EVERY. LAST. ONE OF YOU.
And it makes me lurve you so.

Not me though. I ain't like that.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

If it's worth jawing about, it's worth taking TO THE WALL.

Even if it's NOT worth jawing about.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Salty

If every single one of the spags I met IRL are anything to go by, you're all like that IRL too.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

tyrannosaurus vex

You take that back right now, Alty.

I'll have you know I'm downright pleasant.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Nephew Twiddleton

My drunken postings are a lot like my drunken speech except i cant vocalize parentheses.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on June 07, 2012, 10:06:10 PM
You may be a diverse group of people with varied life experiences and perspectives and opinions, but, as evidenced by the most recent DRUGZLOL thread (and the last dozen or so) you all share one commonality:

You take the term "argumentative" and you tie it down to a chair with no seat and beat its testicles in with a rope until it agrees with everything you have to say. Then you drag it down to the sea and shove its face into the waves until it comes up with new evidence to back your claims. Then you tie it upside down beneath a tree branch and shoot it in the abdomen with a potato cannon until it writes a 300 page thesis on why it's fallacious to disagree with you on any subject at any time or space.

EVERY. LAST. ONE OF YOU.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: I love you too, Alty.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Triple Zero

EVERY. LAST. ONE OF YOU.

THIS

IS

DISCORDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

STRIFE MOTHERFUCKERS
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

EVERY. LAST. ONE OF YOU.

Hail Yes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eristic

Quote... refers to a type of argument where the participants fight and quarrel without any reasonable goal.

The aim usually is to win the argument and/or to engage into a conflict for the sole purpose of wasting time through arguments, not to potentially discover a true or probable answer to any specific question or topic.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on June 08, 2012, 01:43:39 PM

EVERY. LAST. ONE OF YOU.

Hail Yes!

Quote... refers to a type of argument where the participants fight and quarrel without any reasonable goal.

The aim usually is to win the argument and/or to engage into a conflict for the sole purpose of wasting time through arguments, not to potentially discover a true or probable answer to any specific question or topic.

Cool Rat! Following that I found this; http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthydemus_(dialogue)#section_1

It's a parody of Eristic Argument by Plato.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Placid Dingo on June 08, 2012, 01:58:31 PM
Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on June 08, 2012, 01:43:39 PM

EVERY. LAST. ONE OF YOU.

Hail Yes!

Cool Rat! Following that I found this; http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthydemus_(dialogue)#section_1

It's a parody of Eristic Argument by Plato.

Yep. It was an example given in one of the philosophy encyclopedias that Purpleris showed me. Schopenhauer book on how to win an argument is a satire of eristic arguments as well. Schopenhauer gave it a positive spin when he framed it as a type of debate designed to pick out flaws in logical debate... but then he had only stopped beating his wife in the six months before he published the book, so fuck him.

:lulz:

Triple Zero

Well since we're going there, let me link you guys to Schopenhauer's wonderful Stratagems on Eristic Debate:

The Art of Controversy

Highly recommended reading for those who haven't yet. It's not long and the examples will appear entertainingly familiar :) It's a bit like those lists of common fallacies, except reverse engineered for offence purposes. And recognizing the stratagems in your opponent also arms your defence (Schopenhauer also describes how to defeat them). In fact I'm going to say this is required reading for trolls.

Ah, Rat beat me to it :)

But satire? You sure? It may be a somewhat frivolous topic, but Schopenhauer's treatment of it is quite thorough, useful and accurate.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Triple Zero

One of the more useful things he points out, for instance, is that while dirty tricks may not help to convince your opponent, they may still win over the audience, which is just as good if not better, in the right circumstances.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Yeah... satire was the wrong word. The Art of Controversy seemed to be a "here's how to be an asshole in debate" kind of writing to me, but maybe that's partly due to the translation?