News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Giant Mushroom Cloud Over Bejing

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, June 18, 2012, 01:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Not sure what happened, everybody's being all full of shit as expected.
Where's Cain?

The Johnny

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 18, 2012, 03:29:39 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 18, 2012, 01:07:43 AM
"Air pollution".  :x
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/17/giant-mushroom-cloud-beijing_n_1603780.html

Did North Korea miss or something?

If it indeed it was a nuke, it woulda been a flash, not a sustained shine (which in this case is caused by the sun being behind the clouds).

From what ive seen in my experience, garbage gives out a way darker cloud, as do gasoline or petroleum... other than those, it could be a lot of different things.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on June 18, 2012, 06:16:54 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 18, 2012, 03:29:39 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 18, 2012, 01:07:43 AM
"Air pollution".  :x
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/17/giant-mushroom-cloud-beijing_n_1603780.html

Did North Korea miss or something?

If it indeed it was a nuke, it woulda been a flash, not a sustained shine (which in this case is caused by the sun being behind the clouds).

From what ive seen in my experience, garbage gives out a way darker cloud, as do gasoline or petroleum... other than those, it could be a lot of different things.

That was  more of a quip. North Korea would end up nuking itself if it tried to launch anything.  :lulz:

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

Um maybe the article wasn't yet updated when these replies were posted, but it's a really huge cumulonimbus + air pollution.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Anna Mae Bollocks

What kind of pollution, though? Burning straw doesn't do that.
http://www.webpronews.com/beijing-mushroom-cloud-leaves-residents-concerned-2012-06

Magenta/orange clouds at sunset are normal but that bright yellow is fucked.

Triple Zero

What do you mean, burning straw?

It's Beijing. Look it up, big-ass cities in Asia got impressive amounts of air pollution. Very serious fucking problem, asthma rates are through the roofs over there.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 18, 2012, 08:45:43 PM
What do you mean, burning straw?

It's Beijing. Look it up, big-ass cities in Asia got impressive amounts of air pollution. Very serious fucking problem, asthma rates are through the roofs over there.

Burning straw is what Beijing officials are blaming it on. The people saying it was consistent with a chlorine leak were arrested.

When I was visiting Beijing I hardly went out at all because the smog was so incredibly thick. I have asthma and allergies, and I was not interested in seeing what a trip to their emergency room would be like. However, they get a fair amount of wind which clears it all away quite effectively for a short time.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Anna Mae Bollocks

Triple Zero

Any reason why specifically chlorine?

While I also don't quite buy the "straw burning" excuse, it's not like they wouldn't arrest people for spreading false anti-government rumours, either.

Checking the link that mentions people getting detained for spreading rumours says "two internet users had been detained for spreading rumors that claimed that yesterday's pollution had been caused by a chlorine leak at a chemical plant or an explosion at a steel refinery."

Additionally "the bureau also emphasised that the poor atmospheric conditions were not caused by any kind of industrial accident or a dust storm from Northern China."

So that's already three different things their government is denying.

Is there any reason why you consider the chlorine story most likely?

It could even turn out to be something entirely different, still, right?

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 18, 2012, 09:37:31 PM

While I also don't quite buy the "straw burning" excuse, it's not like they wouldn't arrest people for spreading false anti-government rumours, either.

Checking the link that mentions people getting detained for spreading rumours says "two internet users had been detained for spreading rumors that claimed that yesterday's pollution had been caused by a chlorine leak at a chemical plant or an explosion at a steel refinery."

Additionally "the bureau also emphasised that the poor atmospheric conditions were not caused by any kind of industrial accident or a dust storm from Northern China."

If the government arrests you for saying something, it's probably true.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Quote from: v3x on June 18, 2012, 09:43:56 PM

According to that logic, the Holocaust probably didn't happen, and the Armenian genocide is a pernicious rumour spread to undermine the glorious Turkish Republic.

And many many poor businessman who have the cure to cancer, male baldness and infertility have been unjustly put in prison, too.

Cain

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 18, 2012, 03:40:45 AM
Not sure what happened, everybody's being all full of shit as expected.
Where's Cain?

Mostly avoiding this place so I don't have to waste my time researching spurious internet rumours.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Cain on June 18, 2012, 10:13:10 PM
Quote from: v3x on June 18, 2012, 09:43:56 PM

According to that logic, the Holocaust probably didn't happen, and the Armenian genocide is a pernicious rumour spread to undermine the glorious Turkish Republic.

And many many poor businessman who have the cure to cancer, male baldness and infertility have been unjustly put in prison, too.

Sorry, I'll rephrase:
QuoteIf the Chinese government arrests you for saying something, it's probably true.

Because China is evil, and anything that makes them look bad is therefore true and good.

(I'm pretending the last 12 years never happened and it's still permissible (if naive) to see the world like GW Bush.)
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.