News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

book burning party looks like something Discordians would do

Started by BabylonHoruv, June 21, 2012, 04:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Johnny

did you see the video?

to me it seems like it was a good strategy, it saved the library ffs
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on June 21, 2012, 09:19:25 AM

did you see the video?

Risky, though.  Heightening the contradictions seems to more frequently result in the extreme event actually happening, rather than there being a backlash preventing it.

On the plus side, I now have a nice, shiny link to annoy Teabaggers with.  "You know who else threw book burning parties?" 

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on June 21, 2012, 09:19:25 AM

did you see the video?

I agree.  I was applauding it.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

kingyak

I thought this was great when I first saw it, but something about it bothered me. I think it's the fact that the idea ultimately revolves around getting a bunch of uninformed slacktivist types worked up about an issue they have little or no understanding of (see also Kony). While it might be a good strategy in some specific situations (and I'm really glad they got to keep their library open), this kind of appeal to easily-outraged low-information "activists" is almost like an admission that rational political discourse is a thing of the past. Unfortunately, that might be true. 
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

The Johnny

Quote from: kingyak on June 21, 2012, 08:45:52 PM
I thought this was great when I first saw it, but something about it bothered me. I think it's the fact that the idea ultimately revolves around getting a bunch of uninformed slacktivist types worked up about an issue they have little or no understanding of (see also Kony). While it might be a good strategy in some specific situations (and I'm really glad they got to keep their library open), this kind of appeal to easily-outraged low-information "activists" is almost like an admission that rational political discourse is a thing of the past. Unfortunately, that might be true.

please to give example of when rational political discourse has existed
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

The US Presidential election of 1800, where noted Enlightenment philosopher and polymath Thomas Jefferson faced off against noted Enlightenment philopsopher and lawyer John Adams.

The Good Reverend Roger

Um.  Moving backwards:

Obama/McCain
Bush/Kerry
Bush/Gore
Clinton/Dole
Clinton/Bush
Bush/Dukakis
Reagan/Mondale
Reagan/Carter
Carter/Ford
Nixon/McGovern
Nixon/Humphrey
LBJ/Goldwater
JFK/Nixon

I still haven't hit anything rational...

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, when has "rational political discourse" ever been amusing...or even effective?

The Johnny

Does this mean that the overwhelming majority of the populace is easily manipulated by crafted messages and propaganda that play on their emotions?

OH-

NO!

PARADIGM SHIFT!

BUBBLE BROKEN!

I HAVE BEEN BLIND AND NOW I CAN SEE!

-B.F. Skinner

kingyak

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on June 21, 2012, 11:19:11 PM

Good point. But I'm pretty sure there's a spectrum of irrationality and we're way the fuck on the wrong end of it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: kingyak on June 22, 2012, 05:42:14 PM

Good point. But I'm pretty sure there's a spectrum of irrationality and we're way the fuck on the wrong end of it.

That's because you aren't serious about having a good time.

kingyak

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 22, 2012, 05:43:35 PM

FNORD! 23! DISCOMBOBULATED PENIS! PINEAL GLAND!

[Insert random non-constructive hipster cynacism here]

THIS GUY! :bankster:

Is that better?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: kingyak on June 22, 2012, 05:46:33 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 22, 2012, 05:43:35 PM

FNORD! 23! DISCOMBOBULATED PENIS! PINEAL GLAND!

[Insert random non-constructive hipster cynacism here]

THIS GUY! :bankster:

Is that better?

Yeah, whatever.