News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

The Clothes Make the Monkey.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 25, 2012, 07:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I've talked about uniforms a time or three before, but there's another thing I'd like to mention. 

The real risk in wearing a uniform is that eventually, you can't take it off.  Examples:

1.  Disco Pickle.  DP put on the Libertarian uniform, and was therefore relieved from the onerous task of thinking.  Problem is, he argued the uniform so fanatically that he lost one of the qualifying traits required to be human...Compassion.  I refer specifically to his comment that (paraphrased) "If you can't work 2 jobs and still homeschool your kids, then your kids deserve everything that happens to them".  He dug in his heels so hard, he stopped being an actual person, instead turning into something vile.

2.  The Damage Case.  Everyone's met one.  They put on a great show of being fucked up, slurring words and stammering, going all emo-tastic, etc, when there's nothing actually wrong with them.  Pretty soon they realize that nobody's paying attention to them because nobody WANTS to pay attention to them, so they attempt to ramp it up in an effort to regain attention.  Commence vicious circle.

3.  The political partisan.  EVERYONE knows one of these.  Most people have BEEN this, at one time or another.  My party is RIGHT and their party is WRONG.  I am blind to the faults of MY party, and even the good things done by THEIR party are somehow horrible examples of Nazism, etc.  If MY party did it, it was okay, but then if YOUR party does it too, it's suddenly a crime.  It's still not LEGALLY okay to punch these people, but morally-speaking, you're on solid ground.

4.  The Guy Who Did That AND a Bag of Chips.  If you have a story, he's unimpressed, because he did something way cooler and far more dangerous just last week.  If you served in the military, he was on Seal Team 6.  If you went hiking, he's been up Mount Ranier.  If you had sex, he was viciously raped by the Swedish Bikini Team.  He MUST top every story, or his chances of breeding apparently go down.

5.  The Convert.  This can be to ANY cause.  They have the zeal of a convert, and they're gonna tell you all about it, forever.  No logic can sway them, because no matter what the subject is, it's their religion.  Intellectual honesty must take a back seat to demonstrations of Loyalty to The Cause.

This list, of course, is by no means exclusive.

Or Kill Me.  In the FACE.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I have a suspicion that uniform people are insecure as fuck because on some level they know it's bullshit, so they try to reinforce it by pushing it on everybody else. Maybe they're all converts.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 25, 2012, 07:42:23 PM
I have a suspicion that uniform people are insecure as fuck because on some level they know it's bullshit, so they try to reinforce it by pushing it on everybody else. Maybe they're all converts.

There's definitely some overlap...But they all have one thing in common, regardless.  That is to say, they're all trying to be something other than who they are, because a uniform is easier than thinking.

The very definition of a Pink, in Subgenius terms.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

tyrannosaurus vex

Finding an identity is hard in the first place. Once you have one, the temptation to keep hold of it can overpower otherwise reasonable people. I've done my time in a number of uniforms and there are still a few of them I keep around, even though they're really sticky and hard to take off. I'm still trying to pry the last vestiges of Obama spackle off my back, and it's been 4 goddamn years.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

AFK

Meh, some people wear shit on their sleeve, turn it into a big, shiny "look at me!" badge.  I have no need for that.  I'm different things for different people, because relationships aren't cookie-cutter.  My wife married me for reasons that have nothing to do with what I do for work.  My kids look up to me for another set of qualities.  People in my field look at me from other lenses....  But at the heart, I am me.  Certain people have the fortune to know me as an individual in more depth than others.

And that gets to the flip side of this coin.  People ascribing uniforms to people they don't truly know.  Trying to create order out of disorder.  To need to categorize.  I also have no need for that.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 25, 2012, 08:07:47 PM
Meh, some people wear shit on their sleeve, turn it into a big, shiny "look at me!" badge.  I have no need for that.  I'm different things for different people, because relationships aren't cookie-cutter.  My wife married me for reasons that have nothing to do with what I do for work.  My kids look up to me for another set of qualities.  People in my field look at me from other lenses....  But at the heart, I am me.  Certain people have the fortune to know me as an individual in more depth than others.

And that gets to the flip side of this coin.  People ascribing uniforms to people they don't truly know.  Trying to create order out of disorder.  To need to categorize.  I also have no need for that.

Who the fuck was talking about you?  Does EVERYTHING have to be about you?  The ONE board member I was talking about, I referred to by name (Disco Pickle).  If I was talking about you, I'd have SAID YOUR FUCKING NAME.

But EVERY FUCKING THREAD now has to be about RWHN's butthurt.  Fuck this noise.  This place has become a fucking toolbox.

AFK

I didn't say it was about me, I'm giving my take on the topic at hand.  Chill out.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 25, 2012, 08:10:59 PM
I didn't say it was about me, I'm giving my take on the topic at hand.  Chill out.

Yeah.  Fucking right.  Hence the last paragraph in your fucking post.

NO CONTENT BY ROGER WILL BE ALLOWED TO PASS WITHOUT RWHN POOP ALL OVER IT.

You win.  We can all just bump old threads from now on, or whatever.

AFK

You want to be mad Rog, so be mad.  But I think it is a legitimate point.  Sometimes it is the case that we legitimately observe someone stuck in a uniform.  But it can also be true that the person seeing the uniform is working on limited information, making a judgement.

We can view someone in a certain light but it is always very possible we are missing a side that either provides us with a clearer view of the uniform, or, shows us that the uniform has different shades to it.

Freeky

Quote4.  The Guy Who Did That AND a Bag of Chips.  If you have a story, he's unimpressed, because he did something way cooler and far more dangerous just last week.  If you served in the military, he was on Seal Team 6.  If you went hiking, he's been up Mount Ranier.  If you had sex, he was viciously raped by the Swedish Bikini Team.  He MUST top every story, or his chances of breeding apparently go down.

I know this guy.  This guy is oh my god shut the fuck up you're creepy and annoying.

I mean, this guy that I immediately though of reading this, this is him down to the part where, when people bring up getting laid, he has to bring up how he got raped by his psycho girlfriend or something.  Hyperbole this is not.

I hate hate hate this uniform, because they never tell these stories to show they have a reference point for what is being discussed and can empathize fully, it's so they can one-up you.  To death. 

I would not want to see this guy breed.  He is both creepy in a squicky kind of way and looks like Ron Perlman, who at least is a talented actor, even if he is a pretty ugly mo'fucker.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 25, 2012, 08:17:39 PM
You want to be mad Rog, so be mad.  But I think it is a legitimate point.  Sometimes it is the case that we legitimately observe someone stuck in a uniform.  But it can also be true that the person seeing the uniform is working on limited information, making a judgement.

We can view someone in a certain light but it is always very possible we are missing a side that either provides us with a clearer view of the uniform, or, shows us that the uniform has different shades to it.

I was in most cases talking about people I know IRL, mostly because I wanted to AVOID this shit, and as you say, I am operating on limited information with people on PD.  This is why the only PDer I was referring to was mentioned by name, who gave me enough information to make a call.

But this cannot be allowed to stand, because we can't let bygones be bygones here at PD, and therefore every thread must be made into a shot at someone.

I can't be bothered with it anymore.  As such, I will forego posting any further content, because if I wanted a non-stop, never-ending pissing contest, I wouldn't bother putting the work into the OP.  You'll need to bump old shit to get your poop-flinging fix.

Nuff said.  You win.  Be proud.

AFK

Jesus fucking christ Roger, I NEVER SAID WHAT YOU POSTED WAS ABOUT ME!  I am simply joining the conversation and giving my thoughts on the topic, one which I think is a really good topic to discuss.  YOU are the one turning it into an issue.  And I am not talking about YOU.  I am making general observations on the topic, not aimed at any specific person.  Yeesh!

Elder Iptuous

i caught a saturday night live skit some years ago with a lady that did Guy #4 that was pretty funny.
the people at the party started testing her by upping the claims until she was eventually claiming that her cat was an astronaut or some such.
at least these people could be amusing if you play their game back at them and they have to keep a straight face.
what happens if two of them come in proximity to each other? is it like scanners?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 25, 2012, 08:31:33 PM
Jesus fucking christ Roger, I NEVER SAID WHAT YOU POSTED WAS ABOUT ME!  I am simply joining the conversation and giving my thoughts on the topic, one which I think is a really good topic to discuss.  YOU are the one turning it into an issue.  And I am not talking about YOU.  I am making general observations on the topic, not aimed at any specific person.  Yeesh!

Oh, so what you're saying then is, "You cannot make judgements of any kind on someone you've known for years IRL, or you yourself are nothing but a uniform".  We cannot discuss anything without being hypocrites.  If it's one of TGRR's threads, anyway.

Gotcha.

Freeky

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 25, 2012, 08:33:18 PM
i caught a saturday night live skit some years ago with a lady that did Guy #4 that was pretty funny.
the people at the party started testing her by upping the claims until she was eventually claiming that her cat was an astronaut or some such.
at least these people could be amusing if you play their game back at them and they have to keep a straight face.
what happens if two of them come in proximity to each other? is it like scanners?

What happens when scanners scan each other?  Is it like that time Dok did SCIENCE! with a mirror and a scanner?

Also, "My cat is an astronaut."  LOL. :lulz: