News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Discordian Feminists

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, July 02, 2012, 04:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

So, I know me, Garbo and Nigel are Discofemininjas, and I was wondering how the two idea sets intersect for us?

For me it reminds me not to become dogmatic about my feminist leanings, and to change my mind about things if I am presented with better evidence or methods, to use humour, satire and open ended questions designed to make people TFYS as a main tool ref feminist culture jamming, on which I will probably start a thread on later.

I particularly LOVE PeeDee and its denizens because it's possibly one of the MOST egalitarian places on the internet, and being openly female here doesn't preclude harassment, in fact I am confident if we were harrassed for being wimminz on teh intarwebs here that they would get shot down. 

Also, any other discofemininjas (i fucking love that phrase) I have missed out in my observations, I am sorry.

Also, to the menz, how has discordianism influenced your attitude towards feminism?

Salty

I think once people put their egos aside it becomes a lot easier to get to the place where these things can be discussed effectively.

You can't put people in jail for being misogynists. You can't hound them, you can't retaliate. You can only discuss, uncover, and educate. You have to make information available, and you have to put it right in people's faces. The only way these things get better is by dragging them into the light of day.

Also, it is very important to as TGRR's grandfather said (I'm pretty sure), "First you say, 'no.' Then you em hurt." This is how you fight people like that. You stand up and walk away from the table to get another drink as you say, "Actually, you're wrong. And stupid. STFU."

You say, "Why don't you keep those adorable little gems of misguided knowledge to yourself?"
You say, "Well, no, I didn't find that funny at all. Perhaps you can explain to me why you do?"

And if they come at you with aggression...well, Malcolm X had something to say about that, I think.

I still don't like the word feminism, partially because it has a bad rep, but mostly because I think the word itself is doomed. It just sounds like something men shouldn't be involved in for some reason. But, again, that's where education, and being in the right people's faces, is so important.

I have something about this that I need to finish...
I think today. Yeah.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

East Coast Hustle

My discordianism contains a strong "deal with individual people as individual people" component. And a strong "put specific facts above general and unproven ideas" component. The combination of these two leads me to conclude that I have nothing to be gained and much to be lost by interacting with people based on stereotypes rather than based on what kind of a person they are and how they treat me. And frankly, it fucking boggles my mind that there are millions of people who advocate for people not to be treated unfairly because of their skin color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. who are still perfectly willing to dismiss 50 FUCKING PERCENT OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION as second-class citizens (or just property) because of what kind of a crotch they have. These people should all be slapped hard. In the face. With an outboard motor.

I agree with Alty about not liking the word, mostly out of a reflex dislike of "-ism" in general.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

1.  Every Discordian - as I use the term - is by definition a feminist, and in that I include at least moral support for the LGBT mob.  To pigeonhole someone else into a role is to pigeonhole YOURSELF into a role.  There cannot be a slave without a master, and while the slave's life is hell, the master becomes a moral sinkhole that can't properly be classified as a human being.

2.  Alty is riding the correct motorcycle.  First you say NO, then you put a hurting on them, as The Terrible Old Man used to say, as he reminsced about thumping Pinkerton goons with an axe handle.  State your position first, and if that doesn't work, go all Patrick Henry on them.

3.  I do not allow words like "feminism", "liberal", or "rights" to be taken by RWNers and morphed into something vile.  Let THEM incur the horrible wrath of the Queen.  And if that sets off filters in the bozos, that's THEIR PROBLEM.  I am not responsible for the atrocious state of their heads, and I am not responsible for what their subsequent actions bring on themselves.  THEY have "Traditional Values™", WE have I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.  THEY have DOMA, WE understand IN THE NADS.  There is no excuse for taking shit from jackasses.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 02, 2012, 05:47:45 PM
1.  Every Discordian - as I use the term - is by definition a feminist, and in that I include at least moral support for the LGBT mob.  To pigeonhole someone else into a role is to pigeonhole YOURSELF into a role.  There cannot be a slave without a master, and while the slave's life is hell, the master becomes a moral sinkhole that can't properly be classified as a human being.

2.  Alty is riding the correct motorcycle.  First you say NO, then you put a hurting on them, as The Terrible Old Man used to say, as he reminsced about thumping Pinkerton goons with an axe handle.  State your position first, and if that doesn't work, go all Patrick Henry on them.

:eek:

:lol:

SPILL!

Quote3.  I do not allow words like "feminism", "liberal", or "rights" to be taken by RWNers and morphed into something vile.  Let THEM incur the horrible wrath of the Queen.  And if that sets off filters in the bozos, that's THEIR PROBLEM.  I am not responsible for the atrocious state of their heads, and I am not responsible for what their subsequent actions bring on themselves.  THEY have "Traditional Values™", WE have I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.  THEY have DOMA, WE understand IN THE NADS.  There is no excuse for taking shit from jackasses.

:mittens:

Quote from: Pixie on July 02, 2012, 04:54:14 PM
I particularly LOVE PeeDee and its denizens because it's possibly one of the MOST egalitarian places on the internet, and being openly female here doesn't preclude harassment, in fact I am confident if we were harrassed for being wimminz on teh intarwebs here that they would get shot down. 

Indeed.  :lulz:

It could also be called "chivalry", but not in a "protect the weaker sex" kind of way. That's another word that got fucked up. The dictionary definition has nothing to do with carrying swooning females over mud puddles.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 02, 2012, 07:02:43 PM

SPILL!

He was a wobbly, back in the day.  He took no shit from strikebreakers and scabs.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

tyrannosaurus vex

wait

there are females here?

I'm going to have to reconsider my worldview.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 02, 2012, 07:07:08 PM

SPILL!

He was a wobbly, back in the day.  He took no shit from strikebreakers and scabs.

If he wasn't way over there, I'd buy him a drink. NOW.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 02, 2012, 07:17:13 PM

SPILL!

He "gave up drinking forever" about 2 years ago.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 02, 2012, 07:19:28 PM

SPILL!

Lunch, then.

What does he have to say about the workforce now? You know, the people who are basically ok with a career as a speed bump in WalMart parking lot?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 02, 2012, 07:39:24 PM

SPILL!

Lunch, then.

What does he have to say about the workforce now? You know, the people who are basically ok with a career as a speed bump in WalMart parking lot?

Um, he died 2 years ago.  He hasn't had a lot to say since, more's the pity.

The Good Reverend Roger

He DID say this about feminism, when my mother became heavily involved in battered women shelters and the woman's liberation movement, back in the day (this is from memory, so it's not verbatim):

"I don't really understand what all the fuss is about.  In my day, men and women had their places in society, and those places were pretty well set in stone.  But this isn't my day anymore, and I seem to  prefer your (my mother's) day, now that I think about it."

As far as people who let the bosses walk all over them, he usually just snickered in a nasty way.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 02, 2012, 07:41:02 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 02, 2012, 07:39:24 PM

SPILL!

Lunch, then.

Um, he died 2 years ago.  He hasn't had a lot to say since, more's the pity.

Sorry.  :sad:
Should've noted the quotation marks.  :x He's still awesome.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 02, 2012, 07:44:34 PM
He DID say this about feminism, when my mother became heavily involved in battered women shelters and the woman's liberation movement, back in the day (this is from memory, so it's not verbatim):

"I don't really understand what all the fuss is about.  In my day, men and women had their places in society, and those places were pretty well set in stone.  But this isn't my day anymore, and I seem to  prefer your (my mother's) day, now that I think about it."

I don't think I ever heard an old person say something like that.  :)

QuoteAs far as people who let the bosses walk all over them, he usually just snickered in a nasty way.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 02, 2012, 07:54:12 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 02, 2012, 07:44:34 PM

I don't think I ever heard an old person say something like that.  :)

QuoteAs far as people who let the bosses walk all over them, he usually just snickered in a nasty way.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

You should hear what Clint Eastwood has to say about the Gay marriage issue.