News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

A curiosity about the South, for people who live here

Started by The Dark Monk, July 02, 2012, 09:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 10, 2012, 04:17:37 AM
EOT:

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 09, 2012, 06:01:54 PM
I never said people from the South are subhuman.  They are all too human, and many of them carry an all-too infectious meme. My personal (anecdotal, but that's all I have to work with) experience in the South has been universally shitty, with 90% of everyone I've met being at least partially billygoon.

FFS. LOCKERS&SCHOOLS&BIGOTS&BIGOTS&BIGOTS

Pointing out what I actually said isn't going to help.  He knew what I said, and he knew precisely what he was doing when he posted.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2012, 04:18:44 AM
EOT:

I never said people from the South are subhuman.  They are all too human, and many of them carry an all-too infectious meme. My personal (anecdotal, but that's all I have to work with) experience in the South has been universally shitty, with 90% of everyone I've met being at least partially billygoon.

Pointing out what I actually said isn't going to help.  He knew what I said, and he knew precisely what he was doing when he posted.

Yeah. Not sure why I bothered.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 10, 2012, 04:20:54 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2012, 04:18:44 AM
EOT:

Yeah. Not sure why I bothered.

Well, out of respect for Nigel, I'm not going to turn this particular thing into a shitfest, but I'm pretty sure I haven't got much use for EOT now or in at least the near future.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Freeky

tyrannosaurus vex

conversation over. maybe try again in a couple years.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Freeky

E.O.T.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 09, 2012, 07:53:33 PM
Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on July 09, 2012, 07:44:38 PM
And GA may have her head firmly up her poop chute, but that doesn't mean she wasn't right about alot of what she said. Which is kind of the point, that the discussion here needs to move beyond emotional knee-jerk shit if any sort of real understanding is to be had.

If the Klan is indeed only a social club, and a lack of Klan convictions by all-White juries from 1900-1975 is proof that the Klan is only a social club, then I suppose you are correct concerning her motivations.

WHAT

was the time frame of the civil war? and when was the first(original kkk) began and ended?

WHICH IS

the actual content relating to this thread and not the klan in 2012...
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Freeky

East Coast Hustle

I swear to Christ you taint-mongers could turn a conversation about the weather into drama. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Gen. Disregard on July 10, 2012, 02:53:39 AM
Yes Sherlock, but what you can't seem to get through your head is that I'm talking about cultures, not policy.

you cannot separate a culture from the policies it's government creates.  LIke transvaginal ultrasounds, and that Democrat lady not being able to say vagina in a debate about abortion rights. Doesn't that policy spring from a culture of misogyny and religious fundamentalism?

Separating the two as concepts is absurd.

AFK

But that isn't the same thing as a culture of religion, a culture of race, a culture of a group of people who share some kind of ethnic or background trait that is animportant descriptor of their being.

Being against a bunch of dumb ass whites for having and supporting an evil policy is different than thinking a bunch of dumb ass whites are evil simply by virtue of being white.

It may in some cases become a fuzzy distinction but it is a very important one.

I mean, I sure as fuck don't want to be held responsible for some of the shit my Governor is.  So should I be seen as evil simply because I'm a Mainer with an evil Governor?  I sure as shit didn't vote for the guy and take every opportunity I get to work against his dumb ass policies.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

It sounds like you're presenting a larger version of Nigel's concept, "attack the idea, not the person."

As in, you can (should) attack Obama's policies of drone strikes as evil, et al, but you can't (shouldn't) call Obama evil because he's a Black Christian from Chicago.

Something like that?

Golden Applesauce

I'm not particularly interested in ain't-it-awfulling about the prevalence of racism. At this point, I don't think we have any members who think racism is a good idea, so what's the point of condemning it? Yeah, you're right, but it doesn't advance any semblance of a conversation.

The much more compelling question to me is the structure of the worldview that allows for this romantic view of the South before, during, and immediately after the Civil War, and continuing sympathy for the Confederate cause, however that "cause" is remembered. How do otherwise intelligent people end up carrying around that much bigotry and revisionist history in their heads? Responding with "they're stupid / human / manipulated by their leaders for political gain" just short-circuits a discussion that could otherwise have had new ideas to chew on.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 10, 2012, 02:04:44 PM
I'm not particularly interested in ain't-it-awfulling about the prevalence of racism. At this point, I don't think we have any members who think racism is a good idea, so what's the point of condemning it? Yeah, you're right, but it doesn't advance any semblance of a conversation.

The much more compelling question to me is the structure of the worldview that allows for this romantic view of the South before, during, and immediately after the Civil War, and continuing sympathy for the Confederate cause, however that "cause" is remembered. How do otherwise intelligent people end up carrying around that much bigotry and revisionist history in their heads? Responding with "they're stupid / human / manipulated by their leaders for political gain" just short-circuits a discussion that could otherwise have had new ideas to chew on.

Translation:

1.  We've proven that the Klan isn't a "social club", and GA is butthurt about it.

2.  We are to have a conversation without discussing any of the actual events that occurred during and after the war, because it makes GA mad when people diss her Glorious South.

LMNO

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 10, 2012, 02:04:44 PM

Perhaps not surprisingly, that's a much less interesting topic.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/ju/rationalization/

They start from a conclusion, "I am not a bad person", and then they gather evidence around them to support that, and ignore/dismiss/find work-arounds for all the contrary evidence.

There are quite large fields of research discussing this behavior.  Much less discussed are the finer points that Roger, v3x, ECH, and others (quite a few others, I don't mean to leave anyone out, so don't be mad if I didn't mention you, apologies) are bringing up.