News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Introductions, part V: Don't Say We Never Warned You.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 18, 2012, 05:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rembo

Greetings.

I've been lurking around here for some time.
A free time-deficiency has kept me from posting up until now.
Anyways, on to the introduction: I am a 27 year 'old' Beglian dude.
Have been working in kitchens for the past 8/9 years.
I'd mention I'm a bit of a weirdo, but then again, would I be here if I wasn't?

On a final note:
I do not understand why TGRR keeps claiming you're all not 'real discordians',
the blend of rationalism and skepticism which permeates a lot of this board seems, to me,
to be one of the few ways of approaching Discordia without falling into the trap of belief...
(at least. not right away)
The Hills in Discordia are Thornly...

LMNO

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rembo on October 13, 2015, 03:32:53 PM

the blend of rationalism and skepticism which permeates a lot of this board seems, to me,
to be one of the few ways of approaching Discordia without falling into the trap of belief...
(at least. not right away)

Hey there, new guy! You seem alright. Welcome!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

What, now?   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 14, 2015, 02:28:17 AM

I'm guessing he saw some of the "really real discordians (for realness)" stuff, but didn't have the context or realise it was tongue firmly in cheek.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 14, 2015, 02:38:57 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 14, 2015, 02:28:17 AM

I'm guessing he saw some of the "really real discordians (for realness)" stuff, but didn't have the context or realise it was tongue firmly in cheek.

Or it was when one of the noobs was saying how we weren't proper Discordians and I was agreeing in a "there, there, lil fella" kind of way.

But I am amazed how many intros have some kind of slam aimed at me.  It's nothing new, of course, but I'm not posting nearly as often as I did, so you'd think that would slack off some.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Well, we can see what he has to say when he comes back.  I mean, at least he seems to be interested in our sort of Discordianism, so who knows? 

Rembo

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 14, 2015, 02:41:57 AM
Quote from: Cain on October 14, 2015, 02:38:57 AM

Or it was when one of the noobs was saying how we weren't proper Discordians and I was agreeing in a "there, there, lil fella" kind of way.

But I am amazed how many intros have some kind of slam aimed at me.  It's nothing new, of course, but I'm not posting nearly as often as I did, so you'd think that would slack off some.

I realized it was more of a way to tell 'em something like: "Dave's not here man, go AWAY!" than anything else. Just kinda rubs me (and not in the nice way) that so many people use this beautiful irreligion as yet another way to put their heads in the highly contaminated sands of belief....

By the by, was that a 'Hackers' reference with the roof? Must be more than 10 years since I last saw that flick... Recently caught 'The Terminator' on the idiot box, and I must say, the 80'ness dripping off the creen like that was a hoot and a half! : :D

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rembo on October 15, 2015, 10:59:27 AM

I realized it was more of a way to tell 'em something like: "Dave's not here man, go AWAY!" than anything else. Just kinda rubs me (and not in the nice way) that so many people use this beautiful irreligion as yet another way to put their heads in the highly contaminated sands of belief....

People use this squalid pile of camel shit for any number of reasons.  Some here are theists, some are atheists.  The one thing - the ONLY thing - that can get us to agree on anything is when someone shows up announcing that either theism or atheism is correct and that the opposing view is stupid.  In that case, what we agree on is that the person doing that needs more camel shit.

There are 7.3 billion primates on this planet.  Not only would it be impossible to get them all to share the same reality tunnel, but it would be horrible even to contemplate.

Rembo

While I agree that one cannot make a simple value-judgement on the 'atheism-deism' dichotomy,
one can make a distinction, IMHO (H for Humble :p), between say, seventh-day-adventism, and
a more... enlightened deist perspective. Would you agree with that viewpoint?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rembo on October 15, 2015, 09:57:08 PM
While I agree that one cannot make a simple value-judgement on the 'atheism-deism' dichotomy,
one can make a distinction, IMHO (H for Humble :p), between say, seventh-day-adventism, and
a more... enlightened deist perspective. Would you agree with that viewpoint?

Nope.  I believe that people should believe whatever they believe.  It's only when they insist that I should believe what they believe that things get messy.  I don't want to tell Muslims or Scientologists what they can believe or not believe, and I'll be fucked if I let anyone tell me what I can or cannot believe.

If Seventh Day Adventists think the cinema is evil, that's entirely up to them.  If they try to shut the cinema down, then they get their turn in the barrel.

THAT BEING SAID:  To mock other people for their beliefs is fine and good.  So long as you don't mind being mocked yourself.

LMNO

Don't listen to that filthy ghost-peddler.  There is naught but the screaming void as you shriek yourself to sleep.