"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

Sex Ed, PD style

Started by Placid Dingo, August 04, 2012, 03:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I want you to think about it this way:

Quote from: SmogofCogs on August 06, 2012, 02:22:00 AM
this i realize. white behavior that discourages whites from being assholes to each other and blacks is usually not rewarded by society. i don't see the harm in having a space away from the mainstream and separate from (but cooperative with) blacks where whites can encourage each other to be good whites. am i being privileged here?

At the heart of it, isn't your objection that you don't want to join a movement that's about them... you want it to be about you?

It is understandable to want a movement that's about you, but in the end, if it has the same goals and objectives as feminism, and works cooperatively with feminism, its is inevitably, particularly historically, going to be seen as a subset of feminism. I'm not sure why you don't want that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

Quote from: Cain on August 06, 2012, 02:28:19 AM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on August 06, 2012, 02:05:23 AM
Society is already inherently male positive.

Well, yes and no.  It's inherently male positive so long as men act in accordance with patriarchical values.

One of the most interesting areas of feminist thinking, to me, is how patriarchical societies constrain men as well as they do women, and I strongly suspect if there was a greater focus on this, it would get a lot of guys who might otherwise be not so interested in feminism thinking about how such things impact on them personally.
Fair point.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

SmogofCogs

i feel like i'm coming across as a bigoted asshole. i have no problem being a feminist. all i'm trying to say is that i can't derive my male identity from the movement because i'm only an ally to it. that means it's female-centric and it should be. yes, it deals with females and males, but not the totality of what it means to be male. and as GARBO pointed out, it is silly to derive my identity from it. well then where else should i look to find a space to express and discover a good positive male identity?

i've heard of white anti-racist spaces and i hear they're successful. of course they don't organize without input from the people of color community and a solid understanding of racism. but it's a place to go to if you're white to learn from other whites on how you're probably racist, how that feels to you as a white person, and how not to be such an ass.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SmogofCogs on August 06, 2012, 12:21:59 AM

i'm looking for the former description. can't men be organizing separately from women on these issues?

Why?  It's the same issue.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SmogofCogs on August 06, 2012, 03:05:54 AM
i feel like i'm coming across as a bigoted asshole. i have no problem being a feminist. all i'm trying to say is that i can't derive my male identity from the movement because i'm only an ally to it.

Male identity?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dear Departed Uncle Nigel on August 06, 2012, 02:44:50 AM

this i realize. white behavior that discourages whites from being assholes to each other and blacks is usually not rewarded by society. i don't see the harm in having a space away from the mainstream and separate from (but cooperative with) blacks where whites can encourage each other to be good whites. am i being privileged here?

At the heart of it, isn't your objection that you don't want to join a movement that's about them... you want it to be about you?

It is understandable to want a movement that's about you, but in the end, if it has the same goals and objectives as feminism, and works cooperatively with feminism, its is inevitably, particularly historically, going to be seen as a subset of feminism. I'm not sure why you don't want that.

That does it.

I'm starting Rogerism.  I'm sick of The Man trying to KEEP ME DOWN.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: SmogofCogs on August 06, 2012, 03:05:54 AM
i feel like i'm coming across as a bigoted asshole. i have no problem being a feminist. all i'm trying to say is that i can't derive my male identity from the movement because i'm only an ally to it. that means it's female-centric and it should be. yes, it deals with females and males, but not the totality of what it means to be male. and as GARBO pointed out, it is silly to derive my identity from it. well then where else should i look to find a space to express and discover a good positive male identity?

i've heard of white anti-racist spaces and i hear they're successful. of course they don't organize without input from the people of color community and a solid understanding of racism. but it's a place to go to if you're white to learn from other whites on how you're probably racist, how that feels to you as a white person, and how not to be such an ass.

What you're saying about "male identity" is coming across as gibberish. Would you derive your "male identity" from any club or movement? I would think you would derive it from being the totality of who you are as a male. And that could include being a feminist. Lots of men, and in fact pretty much all of the men I know, identify as feminists.

So, you seem to be saying that you want a male feminist space that is organized with female input and a solid understanding of sexism; a place to go if you're male to learn from other males on how you're probably sexist, and how not to be such an ass. Do I hear you correctly?

Because if that is the case, you can call it whatever you want, and everybody is going to simply, correctly, identify it as a subset of feminism. Humans are really good at making connections like that.

You could always just join the legions of men who identify as feminists, if you wanted to skip a couple steps and join an established movement with millions of members. You could even talk to the guys, like maybe the ones here who keep trying to explain this to you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 06, 2012, 03:28:09 AM
Quote from: Dear Departed Uncle Nigel on August 06, 2012, 02:44:50 AM

That does it.

I'm starting Rogerism.  I'm sick of The Man trying to KEEP ME DOWN.

:lulz:

Juana

ROGERS UNITE!

You don't need one source for an identity. IME, actual people draw their identity from many sources but are more than the sum of those parts.
Otherwise you're an empty uniform.

/tangent
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Freeky

That's sort of what is coming across to me:  This guy, as smart as he seems, is looking for a uniform, and thinks we are wearing uniforms (the kind that get tatooed on your body), but what he isn't getting is that it isn't about uniforms, it's about people.

Or something.  That actually sounds kind of dumb, but does anyone else see what I'm trying to say?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on August 06, 2012, 04:22:40 AM
That's sort of what is coming across to me:  This guy, as smart as he seems, is looking for a uniform, and thinks we are wearing uniforms (the kind that get tatooed on your body), but what he isn't getting is that it isn't about uniforms, it's about people.

Or something.  That actually sounds kind of dumb, but does anyone else see what I'm trying to say?

yes, I think I do.

Juana

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on August 06, 2012, 05:44:51 AM
Ditto.

Also, going back to the OP, here: http://thesexuneducated.tumblr.com/post/27248456432/11-things-that-should-actually-be-in-sex-ed-classes

While I like some of that in theory, I started this thread after I realised in the Reddit thread that the question of what consent looks like isn't always understood. This is all very high level stuff at the link. Probably too high for a fundamental sexual education course I suspect.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Reginald Ret

One thing that may make consent even harder to spot is that people can be in two minds about something, especially sex. When you want sex but don't want to want sex how is the other supposed to read that? (the correct answer, ofcourse, is 'he/she is confused, that counts as a not now')
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Placid Dingo

Quote from: :regret: on August 06, 2012, 06:18:16 AM
One thing that may make consent even harder to spot is that people can be in two minds about something, especially sex. When you want sex but don't want to want sex how is the other supposed to read that? (the correct answer, ofcourse, is 'he/she is confused, that counts as a not now')

Or 'ask'.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.