News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

Oh Noez! What about Teh Menz? -Patriarchy isn't a dude's friend EITHER!

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, August 07, 2012, 11:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Prototype Jesus on August 18, 2012, 01:49:27 AM
Quote from: VERBL on August 18, 2012, 01:31:02 AM
:cry: :cry: :argh!: :horrormirth:

Pix might know.  I've long since lost track of 90% of what I've written here.

ack, it was months ago, maybe around the time of the Prostitution Vs Feminism thread Nigel started waaay back. IIRC was before I moved in to this place, which was in March.
Quote from: v3x on August 18, 2012, 03:43:21 AM
relevant?

hahah. Yes, relevant.

VERBL has a point about the term cis. I don't object to it because I know a few transgender and genderqueer folks IRL and cis is better than "normal" for me and them to use, when being trans is opposite to normal rather than an intellectual word like cis it kinda can make people feel like freaks, and those cats and kittens have it pretty tough already.  I don't see it as a restriction on me, just that it makes my (already marginalised and often misunderstood) friends that I hang out with more comfortable.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pixie on August 18, 2012, 04:05:06 AM

VERBL has a point about the term cis. I don't object to it because I know a few transgender and genderqueer folks IRL and cis is better than "normal" for me and them to use, when being trans is opposite to normal rather than an intellectual word like cis it kinda can make people feel like freaks, and those cats and kittens have it pretty tough already.  I don't see it as a restriction on me, just that it makes my (already marginalised and often misunderstood) friends that I hang out with more comfortable.

I can see how labels could make someone feel more comfortable.

I'm just not sure that comfortable is a good thing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Prototype Jesus on August 18, 2012, 04:11:43 AM

In fact I think that is an even worse reason for a label.

"I'ma label those people so I feel better about me"

WTF?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on August 18, 2012, 04:24:58 AM

WTF?

Or even, "I'm going to label myself so I feel better about me."

Or worse.

"I'm going to label myself so others feel better about me."

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Prototype Jesus on August 14, 2012, 09:17:58 PM
Quote from: v3x on August 14, 2012, 09:15:41 PM
So, we need to invent a new catalog of swear words. Resolved, then.

We still have

Shit
Fuck
Damn
Cocksucker
Motherfucker (assuming strapons are available)

Now, what about using terms in a positive light?  As in "This new reverse F wrench design is the tits"?

This whole line of conversation makes me so motherfucking angry that I'm not even going to read the rest of the thread (posting from page 20 here). Anybody who expects me to stop using any swear word or obscene phrase for any reason can just get bent in half at the asshole.

Not like they're getting bent over in half so that their asshole ends up folding IN on itself. Oh no.

The OTHER way.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on August 18, 2012, 04:49:17 AM

We still have

Shit
Fuck
Damn
Cocksucker

Now, what about using terms in a positive light?  As in "This new reverse F wrench design is the tits"?

This whole line of conversation makes me so motherfucking angry that I'm not even going to read the rest of the thread (posting from page 20 here). Anybody who expects me to stop using any swear word or obscene phrase for any reason can just get bent in half at the asshole.

Not like they're getting bent over in half so that their asshole ends up folding IN on itself. Oh no.

The OTHER way.

Damn. I shoulda mentioned ECH in the warm fuzzy post.  :lol:

Filing this away for future use.  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

We still have

Shit
Fuck
Damn
Cocksucker

The OTHER way.

I slay myself sometimes.   :lulz:

East Coast Hustle

And now I see we're on the whole "labels" thing again.

I swear to fucking christ, sometimes this board is like a place where somebody put the "smart" lemmings and tried to teach them not to jump off the cliff. And succeeded. And now the lemmings are all jumping into the fucking washing machine and calling it progress. There isn't really a single word to describe a place like that. but if there was, PD would be like one of those.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on August 18, 2012, 04:56:49 AM
And now I see we're on the whole "labels" thing again.

I swear to fucking christ, sometimes this board is like a place where somebody put the "smart" lemmings and tried to teach them not to jump off the cliff. And succeeded. And now the lemmings are all jumping into the fucking washing machine and calling it progress. There isn't really a single word to describe a place like that. but if there was, PD would be like one of those.

I'd respond, but I'm still giggling like a mad bastard about your last post.

I am SO stealing that.

QuoteAnybody who expects me to stop using any swear word or obscene phrase for any reason can just get bent in half at the asshole.

The OTHER way.

I think I'm gonna pee myself.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

To get back to the original discussion... I think the real point is that Patriarchy, or ANY system where there are oppressors isn't ANYONE's friend. It wasn't like everyone in 1806 liked the idea of slavery or thought that color should matter. However, for the most part we don't think about that, we think of the 1800's Americans as slave owning, Native American killing bastards. The poor sods that actually gave a fuck get slopped in with the oppressors.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Pope Pixie Pickle

eh it's not something that bothers me, using the word, to describe myself in certain company,  whereas being given transphobic abuse by people who consider themselves "normal" and my trans/ GQ mates freaks and abominations is shitty as fuck. Think of it as one of the small signals of acceptance I can send them that makes them feel safer in my company, rather than a label. Other signals would be asking what pronouns they prefer.  A tiny three letter word that means I will not freak out if you use the same loo as me, and I'll tell others to back the fuck up if they start something, and I get the idea about gender identity having spectrums, even though I view the whole gender thing as a social construct.

They may not feel comfortable or safe once they've left my company, but I can make it easier by understanding, using and not rejecting their terminology while they are with me. They usually just call me Annie rather than "that weird cis-hetroflexible-geek who yammers on about culture jamming to anyone who will listen."  :lulz:

and if that makes me some kind of uniform or eejit or whatever I couldn't care less, they are my friends and I only really use or consider the terms when I am around that particular group, like some sort of sociology slang/jargon. Its basically just a taxonomy.

Cain

We still have

Shit
Fuck
Damn
Cocksucker

The OTHER way.

Your usage of "bent" and "asshole" in the above passage is offensive to the gay community.

Please contact the LGBTWTFROFLBBQ committee for more details about the nature and severity of your sanction.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on August 18, 2012, 04:24:58 AM

WTF?

In honestly, wouldn't it bother you if the standard way to describe people who weren't like you in some way "normal?" I would imagine it would frustrate me.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Johnny

WAIT so... "cis" and "trans" are both in reference to "gender role"...

This entails no deconstruction of gender roles?

Shouldnt trans and cis both be thrown out the window?

ETA: like, i think the idea of "bigender" is a step forward; although it has a baseline assuming what roles are for each gender, it acknowledges the possibility of acting different roles in different situations!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner