News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

So, this is a thing

Started by Cain, August 15, 2012, 12:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://90days90reasons.com/06.php

QuoteThere is a now iconic picture of Obama and a young boy in the Oval Office. The president of the United States is bowing, bent at the waist so the young boy can touch his hair, so the young boy can feel that he and the president have something in common. When I first saw the photograph I knew I had finally voted for someone who would affirm my faith, who would live up to the audacity of promising hope.

Sometimes, all hope requires is one moment and that moment, that photograph of the president and a young boy is what I most needed to believe my hope in Obama was well placed, to believe that while the president is just one man, the presidency is so much more when held in the hands and heart of the right man.

:punchballs:

And even more, Obama cured that little boy of scrofula!

Of course, this becomes a lot more horrormirthy if you juxtapose the above paragraph with a picture of the latest mosque a CIA drone bombed.

Freeky

Picture of a dead child, with no warning. 

Did the entire body of pd piss you off so badly that we've been reduced to pagan boards in your book?

Otherwise I facepalmed at that stupid quote.

Cain

Yes, it's all so terribly offensive.

I bet that dead kid is just horrified his picture is being posted without warnings on internet forums.  And, at the end of the day, that's what all this is really about.  Why won't someone think of the poor children who might be subjected to pictures of murdered children?  Where's that outrage?  Aren't they the real victims here?

Freeky

Well fuck me for barely hanging on as it is without having more mind rending grief thrown on me uunexpectedly.  I apologize for not pussyfooting around and not just leaving the thread without saying a thing. Oh but wait, you've bemoaned the fact that no one reads anything you say, so I guess I would have been wrong anyway.

Faust

Dont shy away, those are your Tax dollars hard at work, don't you want to see the bang you get for your buck?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Don Coyote

Freeky

Yeah, like I don't already realize that everything my country stands for anymore is evil beyond redemption.
Quote from: Faust on August 15, 2012, 01:45:43 AM
Dont shy away, those are your Tax dollars hard at work, don't you want to see the bang you get for your buck?

Cain

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on August 15, 2012, 01:45:26 AM
Well fuck me for barely hanging on as it is without having more mind rending grief thrown on me uunexpectedly.  I apologize for not pussyfooting around and not just leaving the thread without saying a thing. Oh but wait, you've bemoaned the fact that no one reads anything you say, so I guess I would have been wrong anyway.

Unwarranted personal attacks.  Classy.

Everyone says they want to know the truth, and then you show them the actual results of real life policies and guess what?  YOU'RE the bad guy!  Maybe you should redirect some of that self-righteous anger at the people who actually caused the above scene?  You know, the CIA officer flying the drone, the President who gives the orders for the assassination, the judges who claim there is no legal issue with these attacks, and the journalists who shoutdown anyone who dare disagree?

No, those people have power and are scary and actually sometimes kill people.  Much easier to shout at that asshole on the web for showing the cruel reality of everyday life in certain parts of the world.  I mean, what a jerk, showing a picture of a dead kid.  That's much worse than an entire political-judicial-economic system which works towards the steady production of dead kids on a daily basis.

Really, I ought to be ashamed of myself.

Faust

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on August 15, 2012, 01:52:15 AM
Yeah, like I don't already realize that everything my country stands for anymore is evil beyond redemption.

It was just gallows humor, I wouldn't insult you by pretending there was anyone who didn't know that.

Freeky

Quote from: Faust on August 15, 2012, 01:55:06 AM

It was just gallows humor, I wouldn't insult you by pretending there was anyone who didn't know that.

Ah. Sorry about that.

I think I need a vacation or something.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

We're all grown ups. Sometimes life is shitty. I don't believe in demanding or requiring warnings.

Cain, that's a great juxtaposition. Yet another example of the Map and the Territory, if you say the right words and make the right PR pictures, no one notices the real shit they're walking through.

Ugh. So many people keep saying "But, he's better than Bush!" and the only thing I see him doing better/different is the pretty artwork on his map.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Faust

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on August 15, 2012, 02:03:31 AM
Quote from: Faust on August 15, 2012, 01:55:06 AM

Ah. Sorry about that.

I think I need a vacation or something.
It's a nasty subject. It bothers me more that it doesnt surprise me any more then it does to see the picture.
It makes me feel complacent and complicit and that I should be doing something.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Shit, why are we so fucked up? :cry: I just watched the anti-terrorism ads in MMIX's thread, and came straight here for the reminder that the US government is a far worse terrorist than anyone else on the globe.

I think it would have reduced the impact if the image had been linked, but just for future reference, pictures of dead kids aren't SFW for all of us and are something that I really don't want my smallest kid to see, so an indication in the title might be called for so discretion can be practiced. No kids home at present fortunately.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on August 15, 2012, 02:07:03 AM
We're all grown ups. Sometimes life is shitty. I don't believe in demanding or requiring warnings.

The kid didn't get a warning.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.