THIS link gets its own thread: The ultimate "War on Women" collection.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 25, 2012, 06:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

http://www.politicususa.com/proof-war-women.html

There's a ton of shit on reproductive rights, but the REAL gem is way at the bottom:

Quoteo From Wisconsin comes Rep. Don Pridemore is co-sponsor of Senator Glenn Grothman's (R-West Bend) bill (SB 507) that would list "nonmarital parenthood" as a cause of abuse. The bill states "In promoting those campaigns and materials, the [Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Board] shall emphasize "nonmarital parenthood" as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect." The bill is bad enough – TodaysTMJ4 tells us that "Senator Grothman claims there's an epidemic of single parenthood, and he's pointing a finger at women for it." But what's worse is Pridemore's defense of it; he says that women in abusive relationships – the reason so many of them are single parents in the first place – ought to just take a beating and stay married: 'If they can refind those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help,'
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Reginald Ret

Take your beating like a man, woman!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Signora Pæsior

Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

Murmur

Tolerable Terror for Toddlers Legionaire, Nixon Division™

"Onlookers will be horrified and amazed by the sheer volume of fluid."--TGRR

"SaraLee, I say unto you!  If ye have a cake and halve it, and then halve it yet again, you would have four quarters and yet still not have a dollar.  Eat of that cake, for it is cake which is NOT cake, which ye may have half a mind to have at a reasonable price, yet in indecision achieve satori with said stale Moon Pie.  That's what you get when YOU FUCK WITH US." - DOUR

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Murmur on August 25, 2012, 07:42:44 AM
Damn... that's some messed-up shit right there.  :horrormirth:

No, that's not the messed-up part.  The messed up part is that link has dozens and dozens of sourced examples of shit like that, and the democrats haven't said a fucking word.   There are only three possible reasons for that:  Either the dems are too stupid to read the congressional record, or they are too weak to do anything about it, or they're in agreement.

Now ask yourself:  Does it MATTER which reason is accurate?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

I discovered just the other day that 27 states have no laws restricting the parental rights of rapists - meaning that, after getting raped and then taking the child to term, the rapist could challenge for custody.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/08/rapist-seeks-child-custody-shauna-prewitt

QuoteThe debate over Rep. Todd Akin's widely condemned comments on "legitimate rape" has largely centered on abortion and Republican efforts to outlaw the procedure, even in cases of rape. But the controversy has also uncovered a little-discussed issue: When some rape victims do choose to give birth to a child conceived through sexual assault, they find that the legal door is left wide open for their victimization to continue. It sounds unfathomable, but in many states the law makes it possible for rapists to assert their parental rights and use custody proceedings as a weapon against their victims.

Shauna Prewitt says it happened to her, in Akin's home state of Missouri. In 2004, Prewitt was in the midst of her senior year in college when she was allegedly raped. Nine months later, she gave birth to a baby girl, who today is seven and a half. Shortly after her daughter's birth, when Prewitt was pursuing charges against her accused rapist, he suddenly served her with papers requesting custody of their daughter. At first, Prewitt thought it was so ridiculous she laughed it off. Then, the truth sank in:

"I was struck with terror, not only with the idea of letting my child be around him, but also having to spend the next 18 years of my life tied to him," she says.

Prewitt, who now works as an attorney in Chicago, thought there was no court on earth that would allow her alleged rapist (he was never convicted) to have custody rights. But her lawyer informed Prewitt that, due to Missouri law, her case wasn't a slam dunk. The state wouldn't allow her to fight the custody request directly—the court would have to file a petition independently.

At least Missouri has a law on the books allowing the court to step in and terminate parental rights in a case like Prewitt's—at least 27 states have no statutes to protect the mothers of rape-conceived children. Meanwhile, victims continue to come forward with horror stories of rapists using the threat of custody actions to blackmail and intimidate their victims into not pressing criminal charges.

While this isn't as overtly nasty as much of what is going on currently, the lack of attention such an important issue gets is suggestive of a certain cavalier attitude to the whole thing.

But you know who the real rapists are?  People who criticize Todd Akin, that's who.

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: Cain on August 25, 2012, 08:38:42 AM
I discovered just the other day that 27 states have no laws restricting the parental rights of rapists - meaning that, after getting raped and then taking the child to term, the rapist could challenge for custody.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/08/rapist-seeks-child-custody-shauna-prewitt

QuoteThe debate over Rep. Todd Akin's widely condemned comments on "legitimate rape" has largely centered on abortion and Republican efforts to outlaw the procedure, even in cases of rape. But the controversy has also uncovered a little-discussed issue: When some rape victims do choose to give birth to a child conceived through sexual assault, they find that the legal door is left wide open for their victimization to continue. It sounds unfathomable, but in many states the law makes it possible for rapists to assert their parental rights and use custody proceedings as a weapon against their victims.

Shauna Prewitt says it happened to her, in Akin's home state of Missouri. In 2004, Prewitt was in the midst of her senior year in college when she was allegedly raped. Nine months later, she gave birth to a baby girl, who today is seven and a half. Shortly after her daughter's birth, when Prewitt was pursuing charges against her accused rapist, he suddenly served her with papers requesting custody of their daughter. At first, Prewitt thought it was so ridiculous she laughed it off. Then, the truth sank in:

"I was struck with terror, not only with the idea of letting my child be around him, but also having to spend the next 18 years of my life tied to him," she says.

Prewitt, who now works as an attorney in Chicago, thought there was no court on earth that would allow her alleged rapist (he was never convicted) to have custody rights. But her lawyer informed Prewitt that, due to Missouri law, her case wasn't a slam dunk. The state wouldn't allow her to fight the custody request directly—the court would have to file a petition independently.

At least Missouri has a law on the books allowing the court to step in and terminate parental rights in a case like Prewitt's—at least 27 states have no statutes to protect the mothers of rape-conceived children. Meanwhile, victims continue to come forward with horror stories of rapists using the threat of custody actions to blackmail and intimidate their victims into not pressing criminal charges.

While this isn't as overtly nasty as much of what is going on currently, the lack of attention such an important issue gets is suggestive of a certain cavalier attitude to the whole thing.

But you know who the real rapists are?  People who criticize Todd Akin, that's who.

Yeah, a friend of mine sent me this the other day with a note saying "Because I know this will make you angry...": http://georgetownlawjournal.org/files/pdf/98-3/Prewitt.PDF

QuoteMoreover, raped women who raise their rape-conceived children may feel fundamentally disrespected as a result of being "forced into... legal relationship(s)" that give rise to "continu(ing) involuntary interraction(s) (sic)" with the men who terrorized them. For example, H.H. is the mother of a child she believes was conceived through rape, although the court found insufficient evidence to reach that conclusion.
Because of this adverse ruling, H.H. must share parental responsibilities with her alleged attacker, S.M., via a court order granting him the right to see her son each Tuesday, every other weekend from Friday evening until Sunday evening, on alternating holidays, and three weeks in the summer. Thus, H.H. not only sees S.M. each week when dropping off and picking up her son, but she must also communicate with him by phone or e-mail to reschedule visitation arrangements, discuss parenting concerns, and deal with anything else regarding her son. S.M. also can attend her son's school functions, such as school plays or sporting activities, which further increases H.H.'s interactions with her alleged rapist. Even in her home, H.H. cannot escape the constant reminders of her rapist when her child, for instance, brings home toys or other items gifted by S.M. Not only must H.H. continually confront these stimuli and situations which remind her of the rape, but she must do so cheerfully so as to not be accused by the court of fostering parental alienation, which, if found, may result in the court stripping her of primary custody of her son. Given her frequent interactions with S.M., it is unsurprising that H.H. feels that she is incapable of dealing with her rape, writing "I... struggle to move on with my life and I wonder how... to do so when I have to see this man every other day... Our system needs to be revamped but I need help now. I don't now (sic) where else to go..."

Don't even get me started on the "dogpiling is EXACTLY LIKE GANG RAPE!!!!1!!" fucktards.  :argh!:
Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

Pope Pixie Pickle

need some elderly lady awesome to counteract the WTFFUCKSAKKAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHIMMACHOKEAJERKASSSSSS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anc_gP2_QeI&feature=share

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Pixie on August 25, 2012, 11:35:09 AM
need some elderly lady awesome to counteract the WTFFUCKSAKKAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHIMMACHOKEAJERKASSSSSS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anc_gP2_QeI&feature=share

I've got what some may call a "loose moral compass," but I stand pretty firm on the line that when a granny gives me the bird, I done wrong.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Republican war on women aside, (as if we can really set that aside...) there are so many issues regarding rape and parental custody that I hardly know where to begin.

The very, very starting point, I think, is the issue of so few women reporting their rapes, and so few attackers being convicted. If a rape is never reported, let alone tried and convicted, where does that leave the mother if her attacker files for visitation or custody? There's no proof, or even evidence of rape.

I think that the first step is to make it easier/less traumatising for women to report rapes, especially date or acquaintance rape. And yeah, I know it horrifies people, but we do need degrees of rape, because if a woman isn't sure if she was raped (as in many cases of date rape for younger women, who often feel guilty or like they asked for it because they were making out or like they "let it get out of hand") then how is she going to feel OK about going to the police and opening a full-blown rape investigation? I honestly think that part of destigmatizing the victims of rape is to stop treating it like OMG YOU'VE BEEN SULLIED AND YOUR LIFE IS OVER AND IF YOU REPORT IT YOU WILL RUIN A MAN'S LIFE and start treating it like THAT GUY IS A DICK, REPORT IT SO THAT HE CAN LEARN HIS LESSON TO NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.

I know the classic defense against this is that it reduces the penalty for nonviolent rape (if we can escape for a moment the "all rape is violent" rhetoric) to a slap on the wrist. Well, yes, in some ways it does. But that's a function of society, not a function of the legal system itself, and right now most rapists don't get even that because women are intimidated out of coming forward by the whole "IT RUIN A MAN LIFE" thing.

Even if they got only a slap on the wrist, they would also get a scarlet R that would follow them around and hopefully help provide greater protection for other women they might otherwise assault. Is a guy who got a slap on the wrist as likely to do it again if he knows that next time he'll get jail time? Maybe not. It certainly seems worth finding out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 25, 2012, 06:52:40 AM
http://www.politicususa.com/proof-war-women.html

There's a ton of shit on reproductive rights, but the REAL gem is way at the bottom:

Quoteo From Wisconsin comes Rep. Don Pridemore is co-sponsor of Senator Glenn Grothman's (R-West Bend) bill (SB 507) that would list "nonmarital parenthood" as a cause of abuse. The bill states "In promoting those campaigns and materials, the [Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Board] shall emphasize "nonmarital parenthood" as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect." The bill is bad enough – TodaysTMJ4 tells us that "Senator Grothman claims there's an epidemic of single parenthood, and he's pointing a finger at women for it." But what's worse is Pridemore's defense of it; he says that women in abusive relationships – the reason so many of them are single parents in the first place – ought to just take a beating and stay married: 'If they can refind those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help,'

CHILD SLAVERY "ORPHAN TRAINS" FOSTER CARE - THAT'S WHERE THE $$$$$ IS
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

TORPEDO BOATS AHEAD!

QuoteDon H. Dwyer, Jr., a Tea Party delegate from Maryland, who's best known for his anti-choice, anti-gay rhetoric and legislation and "pro-family, pro-child" views, has admitted to being drunk while crashing his boat into a smaller boat filled with children. Four of the five children were sent to the hospital, one in a helicopter. At 0.2%, his blood alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/08/25/anti-gay-lawmaker-its-about-the-children-crashes-boat-into-children/

Salty

While I realize education and communication are important approaches to these issues, doesn't it seem like the only reasonable and prudent course of action is to find these people and beat them in their faces until they never want to say these things again? It sure seems that way today.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2012, 06:55:44 PM
TORPEDO BOATS AHEAD!

QuoteDon H. Dwyer, Jr., a Tea Party delegate from Maryland, who's best known for his anti-choice, anti-gay rhetoric and legislation and "pro-family, pro-child" views, has admitted to being drunk while crashing his boat into a smaller boat filled with children. Four of the five children were sent to the hospital, one in a helicopter. At 0.2%, his blood alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/08/25/anti-gay-lawmaker-its-about-the-children-crashes-boat-into-children/

WAY TO FUCKING GO, RELIGIOUS RIGHT!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Yes, he was driving drunk....DRUNK ON JESUS'S ALL FORGIVING LOVE (aka vodka shots).