News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

How most men, even good caring men, have no clue what women go through

Started by ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞, September 06, 2012, 10:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

If the problem we're having is over the word privilege, let's stop using it.

The way I understand this concept, is that, all other factors being equal, in a majority of contexts a man has a higher probability of having a favorable advantage.

There are also a vast amount of variables, and some factors may weigh more heavily than gender in certain situations.

So, if you look at it in a Bayesian manner, you start out with a probablity: Will this human X? (X being the desired result, be it employment, not getting groped on the bus, etc).  Based upon the goal, you'll have a percentage.  In this case, let's say 50%.

So once we have our prior, we can add in the posterior odds (the definitions I'm using are here).

First instance:
Let's say the human is rich.  In this context, based upon the goal, the odds are adjusted up to 70%.  The human is non-caucasian?  Odds dropped to 63%.  The human is a woman?  Odds are now down to 52%.

Second instance:
Same priors, but now the human is poor.  Odds are dropped to 30%.  Male?  Now the odds are up to 41%.

So, in the first instance, the rich woman's odds are better than the poor man's, but the poor man's odds are better than the poor woman's.  But even so, the poor man is receiving a potential advantage, based soley on his gender.

And even though there are some contexts where we would adjust our posterior odds upward if the human is female, in most contexts, the odds go down.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 10, 2012, 05:56:40 PM

You're missing the point, LMNO.  This thread isn't about resolving things or explaining them.  It's about two camps of people trying their hardest to upset and/or hurt each other.

Welcome to our Ism.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

I like that, LMNO. That's a good explanation.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2012, 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 10, 2012, 05:51:49 PM
Freeky's, yours, or mine?

The one I just quoted in my post.
I'm not intentionally being dense, but I've checked about six pages for a post of yours involving a quote and I don't see it. Is the one you mean in a different thread?

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2012, 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 10, 2012, 05:56:40 PM

You're missing the point, LMNO.  This thread isn't about resolving things or explaining them.  It's about two camps of people trying their hardest to upset and/or hurt each other.

Welcome to our Ism.
I'm not intentionally trying to hurt anyone, but I cede part of the point. I think there might be a little heel digging.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

AFK

No, I get it, I've been getting it for awhile.  I'm one of the PD.COM villains.  I'm now a Requia, a Yatto, an Enki...it's socially acceptible here to use me in that way.  I 'll cop to owning some of it on a certain level through some needless poking at Nigel and Roger, and if she's reading I do apologize for that.  (and Roger too but I assume you are reading this already since you're in the thread.)

But sadly it also comes from my opinions which do clash with some on some very heated topics, like obviously drugs and now this topic.  That was part of what motivated my other thread.  I don't care that people, really, really disagree with me, it's too bad though if it means people feel they need to stick apart some more.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 10, 2012, 06:00:20 PM
I'm not intentionally trying to hurt anyone, but I cede part of the point. I think there might be a little heel digging.

Everyone here has been intentionally trying to hurt someone.  Your comment about RWHN and P3nt.  My earlier comments to you...following your comments to me.  Etc.

AT NO POINT HAS THERE BEEN AN ATTEMPT TO CONVINCE.

There were attempts to direct, followed by hatespewing and general nastiness.

Freeky

I'm not intentionally being dense, but I've checked about six pages for a post of yours involving a quote and I don't see it. Is the one you mean in a different thread?

I think he means the part where you said *shrug*

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 10, 2012, 06:12:09 PM

Actually, the sentence right after that: "Pent brings out my inner RWHN."

Nobody seems to give a shit about being human towards each other anymore.  There's no TIME for that sort of thing anymore, on account of The Cause.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2012, 06:15:06 PM

Nobody seems to give a shit about being human towards each other anymore.  There's no TIME for that sort of thing anymore, on account of The Cause.

I still do.  I don't have a cause. 

I mostly don't have a cause because then someone'd come and tidy up the cage lining.

Juana

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2012, 06:03:52 PM

Everyone here has been intentionally trying to hurt someone.  Your comment about RWHN and P3nt.  My earlier comments to you...following your comments to me.  Etc.

AT NO POINT HAS THERE BEEN AN ATTEMPT TO CONVINCE.

There were attempts to direct, followed by hatespewing and general nastiness.
I realize this is side tracking a little bit, but where did I go after you? I'm sorry if it came off like that.

Ah. No, I just don't like Pent. Or RWHN. That has nothing to do with the cause and everything to do with their behavior.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 10, 2012, 06:18:24 PM
Ah. No, I just don't like Pent. Or RWHN. That has nothing to do with the cause and everything to do with their behavior.

Can you identify when you started disliking P3nt?  Or RWHN?  Because - and I could be wrong - I remember you first expressing it in the Patriarchy Thread.

LMNO

I'm not going to belabor the point, I just had a small thought about how best to explain the various power dynamics at play in terms of Bayesean probability.  I'm much more interested in this new term of Feminasm, anyway.

The poking with sticks is unfortunately inevitable, but you know what Eris says:  "Oh.  Then stop."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Having issues that you care about is not mutually exclusive to treating people like human beings.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 10, 2012, 06:18:24 PM
I realize this is side tracking a little bit, but where did I go after you? I'm sorry if it came off like that.

I wasn't talking about me.  I'm dead, and it has been made very, very clear to me that dead people don't have feelings.  I was referring to everyone dumping on everyone in this thread, and all the similar threads that preceded it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 10, 2012, 06:20:34 PM
I'm much more interested in this new term of Feminasm, anyway.

Me too.  It's what I've been trying to say for two months, and V3x nailed it in one.