News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

A few notes on ProperThink™

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 11, 2012, 07:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Juana

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 11, 2012, 08:12:37 PM
Quote from: VERBL on September 11, 2012, 08:05:41 PM
Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 11, 2012, 08:01:16 PM
It's where you come to hang out with people who THINK, just like YOU think, even if they don't think the SAME THING you think.

BINGO. Most of this group consists of "like-minded people", but not in the usual sense of "having minds with mostly the same thoughts in them". It's easy to get confused about that, because this kind of group hardly exists anywhere, ever. We're probably not biologically adapted to it.

So yeah. A minute ago I was thinking I don't like the mutant label. But suddenly it makes perfect sense. For the moment, at least.

Yeah, labels should be temporary things, things used for VERY specific purposes.  Otherwise, they start GROWING, and then the next thing you know, you're wearing another snappy uniform.

Take the "cis" label.  It is useful ONLY when there is a need to differentiate between cis people and trans people, just like Gay is only useful if the differentiating between sexual orientations is relevant to the discussion.  If the differentation isn't necessary, then NEITHER IS THE LABEL.

In this case, the superior mutant label was used to describe the difference between people that think for themselves, and people who think what they believe they're supposed to think.  ETA:  Outside of this sort of discussion, there is no need to use the term.
Perfect.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on September 11, 2012, 08:35:23 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on September 11, 2012, 08:19:14 PM
Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 11, 2012, 07:42:33 PM
After the recent devastation, I just thought I'd get a few things out in the open, so that we can all learn to recognize the horrible smell of monkey ass, and perhaps avoid it in the future.  Please note that this is NOT a reaction to the recent feminism threads in particular, and applies equally to drug threads, mahdgickque threads, and even the libertarian bullshit.  But not to Captain Utopia or Babylon Horuv  threads, which didn't get half the kicking around they deserve.  Thus endeth the disclaimer.  And so:

If it just splits your bits to see a Discordian doing what ever the hell it is they want to do, if you can't at least leave them alone to do it if not get behind them and cheer them on even if you'd never dream of doing it, if you can't manage to disconnect the word SHOULD from your brain WHENEVER you think about what someone else is doing...Then simply ram a bucket full of your own bullshit down your throat, and while you're choking on it, super glue your lips together to keep it from ever escaping again, and set yourself on fire and jump in front of a train and suck down some Drano and play Kurt Cobain's last song on the bass shotgun OR KILL ME BECAUSE I CAN'T FUCKING STAND TO SEE THE LAST BASTION OF INDIVIDUALITY TURN INTO A BUNCH OF FUCKING PINK SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS WITH THEIR OWN FUCKING IDEAS OF CORRECT BEHAVIOR BEING ENFORCED ON ANY FUCKING BODY.

LIKEWISE, if you see a Discordian NOT getting on the fucking bus, if you see them NOT buying into what you think is the only proper behavior for a Discordian™, if you see them NOT trying to save the fucking world from their keyboard, then perhaps you should pause for about ten fucking seconds before blowing the fuck up, because LAST TIME I CHECKED, THIS ISN'T ABOUT GROUPTHINK.  I have MY Discordia, you have YOUR Discordia, and if you can by power of persuasion get maybe 6 people on board, then THAT IN ITSELF IS A VICTORY.  You're bloody lucky to get THAT many, and you have NO RIGHT TO INSIST THAT EVERYONE JOIN YOUR CRUSADE.

Pat Robertson insists that everything be done his way.  Robert fucking Tilton insists that everything be done his way (which apparently means throwing your wife down the stairs and then running down the street naked, screaming that rats are eating your brains).  Paul Goddamn Ryan insists that everything be done his way.  Are we to emulate them?  No.  We are SUPERIOR MUTANTS, and one reason for that is that WE DON'T PRETEND TO HAVE THE ONE SIZE FITS ALL SOLUTION TO ANYTHING.

And if you feel the need to coerce someone (physically, socially, or emotionally) into doing it YOUR WAY, then don't mind that low popping noise.  It was just your soul.

Christ.  Now I've shat myself.

Mittens are overdone, but :mittens:

Fuck, if everybody SAW EVERYTHING EXACTLY LIKE I DO, I'd talk to my damn self.

Fucking yes! This is why, Mr Tigger, me and you have come to loggerheads on a million topics, a million times but I don't recall us ever having anything but the utmost respect for each other, regardless how loudly we might have been screaming "Your opinion is fucking retarded", at the time.

This is why when someone accuses me of not thinking what I should be thinking, on a given topic, my reaction invariably involves my middle finger.

I have a tendency to try to put myself in the other person's shoes.  Problem is, those shoes don't fit my warty and deformed feet, and I get all pissy.  Then, you know, YARGANARGANARG!

I always learn from it, though.  It just takes me a long time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 11, 2012, 08:43:16 PM
Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 11, 2012, 08:12:37 PM
Quote from: VERBL on September 11, 2012, 08:05:41 PM
Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 11, 2012, 08:01:16 PM
It's where you come to hang out with people who THINK, just like YOU think, even if they don't think the SAME THING you think.

BINGO. Most of this group consists of "like-minded people", but not in the usual sense of "having minds with mostly the same thoughts in them". It's easy to get confused about that, because this kind of group hardly exists anywhere, ever. We're probably not biologically adapted to it.

So yeah. A minute ago I was thinking I don't like the mutant label. But suddenly it makes perfect sense. For the moment, at least.

Yeah, labels should be temporary things, things used for VERY specific purposes.  Otherwise, they start GROWING, and then the next thing you know, you're wearing another snappy uniform.

Take the "cis" label.  It is useful ONLY when there is a need to differentiate between cis people and trans people, just like Gay is only useful if the differentiating between sexual orientations is relevant to the discussion.  If the differentation isn't necessary, then NEITHER IS THE LABEL.

In this case, the superior mutant label was used to describe the difference between people that think for themselves, and people who think what they believe they're supposed to think.  ETA:  Outside of this sort of discussion, there is no need to use the term.
Perfect.

Yeah, I got over the objection to labels in the last go-round, but again...Only when they're relevant.

Imagine the following situation:  You're at a party, and you meet someone new.

"Hi, I'm Roger."

"Hi, I'm Roger.  I'm a liberal/conservative/feminist/Gay rights activist/teabagger/whatever."

Which one is appropriate?  Obviously the first one, because the second one says two things:

1.  I am wearing a uniform.  I would like you to admire me for it, now.

2.  I am about to bore the shit out of you.  Let me get you a drink.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

:lulz: Yes. They have a time and a place, otherwise it's LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE! And no one likes look-at-me's.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Labels are like alerts, too. Fucked up alerts.

"There's a man coming to pick this up." Translation: "There's a man coming to pick this up."

"There's a black man/mexican/whatever coming to pick this up." Translation: "LOOK OUT HE'S ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE"  :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on September 11, 2012, 09:24:24 PM
Labels are like alerts, too. Fucked up alerts.

"There's a man coming to pick this up." Translation: "There's a man coming to pick this up."

"There's a black man/mexican/whatever coming to pick this up." Translation: "LOOK OUT HE'S ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE"  :x

this bugs the shit out ;fmeandit happensall the time.there is usually no reason to specify a person's race in these cases.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Freeky

The Good Reverend Roger

AT THIS POINT, I'd like to point out that this thread - the OP - is itself an example of Groupthink conditioning.  Just because I say something INFLAMMATORY in ALL CAPS doesn't make it true.

I mean, it IS true, it's just not proven by the mere fact that it pisses you off.

I'd explain it further, but it's way too meta for you.

El Presidente,
Discordian Hipster

Freeky

Hey, spag, just because people are agreeing with you doesn't mean it isn't because you're right.

Or something.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 11, 2012, 10:27:07 PM
Hey, spag, just because people are agreeing with you doesn't mean it isn't because you're right.

Or something.

Um...Canceling negatives, here...Um...

Did I just get a compliment or an insult?

I'M SO CONFUSED!

tyrannosaurus vex

My problem is threefold:

a) Rarely is what comes out of my mouth (or through my keyboard) exactly what I'm really trying to say, on the first (or fifth) attempt; and
b) I tend to assume no one else suffers from this; and
c) I tend to confuse my interpretation with the speaker's intention.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v3x on September 11, 2012, 10:34:12 PM
My problem is threefold:

a) Rarely is what comes out of my mouth (or through my keyboard) exactly what I'm really trying to say, on the first (or fifth) attempt; and
b) I tend to assume no one else suffers from this; and
c) I tend to confuse my interpretation with the speaker's intention.

Welcome to the human condition.  Sometimes you even get hollered at for shit you didn't even say.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 11, 2012, 10:27:07 PM

Or something.

And just because you are right, doesn't mean people are agreeing with you because you are right. And just because you are wrong doesn't mean people are disagreeing with you because you are wrong. And you may be wrong, and yet people agree with you for all the right reasons.

This shits complicated, that's why I just get all my opinions from vloggers with less than 100 subscribers.

^The exception to all of this is TOTSE2. 99% of the time when they disagree with me it means I'm doing something right.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

The Good Reverend Roger

ATTN, PD...NEWSFEED?

Quote from: Prince Glittersnatch III on September 11, 2012, 10:37:30 PM
This shits complicated, that's why I just get all my opinions from vloggers with less than 100 subscribers.