News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

New Old News: Warp Drive

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, September 17, 2012, 11:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

http://gizmodo.com/5942634/nasa-starts-development-of-real-life-star-trek-warp-drive

NOW DON'T NONE OF YOU CYNICS SHIT IN MY CHEERIOS.

This is awesome and I require AT LEAST 5 MINUTES OF CHILDLIKE WONDER THAT THIS MIGHT BE POSSIBLE before you start in with the "It'll never happen" and the "Republicans would defund this in an instant" and your "LOL THIS GUY'S A FRAUD" shit. I know you're right, but for the sake of my sanity just HOLD IT IN FOR 5 MINUTES and IMAGINE POSSIBILITIES, FUCKERS.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm reserving judgement.  There's been some spectacular work done in physics recently.

Plus, I can't read the link from here.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Elder Iptuous

From what i read earlier on it, he seems to be working on a table top experiment of his idea?
i'd get really excited if there were good results there.
i mean, FTL travel would be nothing less than religious in transformativityness...

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on September 17, 2012, 11:37:04 PM
From what i read earlier on it, he seems to be working on a table top experiment of his idea?
i'd get really excited if there were good results there.
i mean, FTL travel would be nothing less than religious in transformativityness...

Pretty sure it would be every bit as revolutionary in our history as it is in Star Trek fiction, even if there aren't any aliens out there to run into.

Elder Iptuous

shit yeah.
we'd somehow use it to bootstrap ourselves into a post scarcity world, and then blow all our time and effort investigating other avenues of what is currently fringe/quack science....
and some of it might turn out to be true!

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on September 17, 2012, 11:42:13 PM
shit yeah.
we'd somehow use it to bootstrap ourselves into a post scarcity world, and then blow all our time and effort investigating other avenues of what is currently fringe/quack science....

that's if there are no aliens.

If there are aliens, we will of course go to war with them, and assuming we manage to avoid getting ourselves obliterated, we will then teach them how to love Jesus™.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v3x on September 17, 2012, 11:43:27 PM
shit yeah.

If there are aliens, we will of course go to war with them, and assuming we manage to avoid getting ourselves obliterated, we will then teach them how to love Jesus™.

Oh, fucking great.  We invent a stardrive, and become Space Mormons.

Someone put a stop to that asshole.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 18, 2012, 02:23:50 AM
shit yeah.

:lulz: You're on a roll.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 18, 2012, 02:23:50 AM
shit yeah.

:lulz: Humans can turn even the most amazing accomplishment into cheezy theater.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nephew Twiddleton

I hope that I see us become an interstellar species by the time I kick off.

Effective speed of 10c. That's about warp 2, I'd say.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on September 18, 2012, 11:58:09 PM

Nearest star is 4 months away.

Fucking amazing.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 19, 2012, 01:41:21 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on September 18, 2012, 11:58:09 PM

Nearest star is 4 months away.

Fucking amazing.

Dimo might get his wish of dying offworld after all.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/technology/index.html

Seems to be shit.

No news from JSC or NASA.

My disappointment is bitter.

Don Coyote

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20110023492
QuoteNASA/JSC is implementing an advanced propulsion physics laboratory, informally known as "Eagleworks", to pursue propulsion technologies necessary to enable human exploration of the solar system over the next 50 years, and enabling interstellar spaceflight by the end of the century. This work directly supports the "Breakthrough Propulsion" objectives detailed in the NASA OCT TA02 In-space Propulsion Roadmap, and aligns with the #10 Top Technical Challenge identified in the report. Since the work being pursued by this laboratory is applied scientific research in the areas of the quantum vacuum, gravitation, nature of space-time, and other fundamental physical phenomenon, high fidelity testing facilities are needed. The lab will first implement a low-thrust torsion pendulum (<1 uN), and commission the facility with an existing Quantum Vacuum Plasma Thruster. To date, the QVPT line of research has produced data suggesting very high specific impulse coupled with high specific force. If the physics and engineering models can be explored and understood in the lab to allow scaling to power levels pertinent for human spaceflight, 400kW SEP human missions to Mars may become a possibility, and at power levels of 2MW, 1-year transit to Neptune may also be possible. Additionally, the lab is implementing a warp field interferometer that will be able to measure spacetime disturbances down to 150nm. Recent work published by White [1] [2] [3] suggests that it may be possible to engineer spacetime creating conditions similar to what drives the expansion of the cosmos. Although the expected magnitude of the effect would be tiny, it may be a "Chicago pile" moment for this area of physics.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guru Qu1x073 on September 19, 2012, 02:29:47 AM
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20110023492
QuoteNASA/JSC is implementing an advanced propulsion physics laboratory, informally known as "Eagleworks", to pursue propulsion technologies necessary to enable human exploration of the solar system over the next 50 years, and enabling interstellar spaceflight by the end of the century. This work directly supports the "Breakthrough Propulsion" objectives detailed in the NASA OCT TA02 In-space Propulsion Roadmap, and aligns with the #10 Top Technical Challenge identified in the report. Since the work being pursued by this laboratory is applied scientific research in the areas of the quantum vacuum, gravitation, nature of space-time, and other fundamental physical phenomenon, high fidelity testing facilities are needed. The lab will first implement a low-thrust torsion pendulum (<1 uN), and commission the facility with an existing Quantum Vacuum Plasma Thruster. To date, the QVPT line of research has produced data suggesting very high specific impulse coupled with high specific force. If the physics and engineering models can be explored and understood in the lab to allow scaling to power levels pertinent for human spaceflight, 400kW SEP human missions to Mars may become a possibility, and at power levels of 2MW, 1-year transit to Neptune may also be possible. Additionally, the lab is implementing a warp field interferometer that will be able to measure spacetime disturbances down to 150nm. Recent work published by White [1] [2] [3] suggests that it may be possible to engineer spacetime creating conditions similar to what drives the expansion of the cosmos. Although the expected magnitude of the effect would be tiny, it may be a "Chicago pile" moment for this area of physics.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!