News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

So, given the recent unrest...

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 20, 2012, 01:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

If any particular group of humans needs Eris to save them, it's radical Islamists.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v3x on September 21, 2012, 03:12:38 AM
If any particular group of humans needs Eris to save them, it's radical Islamists.

At least they know how to lose their shit properly.  I'll take them over Calvinists any day.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 21, 2012, 03:15:40 AM

At least they know how to lose their shit properly.  I'll take them over Calvinists any day.

This may be true, but it raises the disturbing question of just where, exactly, do they get so much shit to lose? They do nothing all day except lose their shit. Every day, except during Friday prayers I'm guessing.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v3x on September 21, 2012, 03:17:14 AM

This may be true, but it raises the disturbing question of just where, exactly, do they get so much shit to lose? They do nothing all day except lose their shit. Every day, except during Friday prayers I'm guessing.

I have enough shit to do that, but I'm repressed.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Kai

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 21, 2012, 03:18:58 AM

Don't you mean, constipated?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on September 21, 2012, 03:22:21 AM

I'm reasonably certain that is a physical impossibility, like reaching light speed or absolute zero temperature.

Kai

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 21, 2012, 03:24:29 AM

I'm reasonably certain that is a physical impossibility, like reaching light speed or absolute zero temperature.

Right, I'll add that to my list.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on September 21, 2012, 03:25:48 AM

You can slow the poop down as much as you want, but you can't actually stop it.

Asymptotic poop!

Kai

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 21, 2012, 03:26:30 AM

Asymptotic poop!

What happens when we take that derivative to infinity in the /opposite/ direction?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on September 21, 2012, 03:30:02 AM

Asymptotic poop!

What happens when we take that derivative to infinity in the /opposite/ direction?

It blows my head off and shoots 30 feet into the air?

The Good Reverend Roger

And if you multiply it by 2(Pi) to wrap it around the X axis, you wind up with a colon that has infinite surface area and a finite volume.

Kai

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 21, 2012, 03:31:11 AM
Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on September 21, 2012, 03:30:02 AM

Asymptotic poop!

It blows my head off and shoots 30 feet into the air?

Um.....

While I am a continual advocate of SCIENCE, some part of me says that might be a bad idea.

Mangrove

1) It's NOT ok to draw images of Muhammed. There are no identifiable images of Muhammed, therefore none can ever be accepted as being an accurate representation. Wouldn't it be easier for angry Muslims to say "No! Wrong! Try again!" instead of the usual 'cut off the heads of infidels who insult the prophet' schtick?

:jihaad: HAAAA WESTERN CAPITALIST PIGDOGS! YOU GOT HIS HAIR AND EARS ALL WRONG!!

(Plus, why is an image automatically an insult? What if the portrayal was very flattering?)

2) While it's not ok to draw Muhammed, for some odd reason it is ok to call yourself Muhammed. Isn't everyone named Muhammed somehow an 'image' of him by taking his name?

3) What if a person is a portrait artist, called Muhammed. It's extremely likely that he will, at some point, draw/paint a model or sitter with the same name. Is this blasphemous?
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Sano

I might be completely wrong, but those are my 2 cents.

Quote from: Mangrove on September 21, 2012, 05:24:00 AM

1) It's NOT ok to draw images of Muhammed. There are no identifiable images of Muhammed, therefore none can ever be accepted as being an accurate representation. Wouldn't it be easier for angry Muslims to say "No! Wrong! Try again!" instead of the usual 'cut off the heads of infidels who insult the prophet' schtick?

:jihaad: HAAAA WESTERN CAPITALIST PIGDOGS! YOU GOT HIS HAIR AND EARS ALL WRONG!!

(Plus, why is an image automatically an insult? What if the portrayal was very flattering?)

2) While it's not ok to draw Muhammed, for some odd reason it is ok to call yourself Muhammed. Isn't everyone named Muhammed somehow an 'image' of him by taking his name?

3) What if a person is a portrait artist, called Muhammed. It's extremely likely that he will, at some point, draw/paint a model or sitter with the same name. Is this blasphemous?

1) It might have something to do with not wanting to turn him into an icon. Plus IIRC there is an order by God somewhere either in the Torah or the Quran not to represent animals or people, which people don't strictly obey anymore. Most of Christianity also didn't allow images of Christ for some time.

2) I think Muhammad was already a common name in the region before the prophet Muhammad.

3) No.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Mangrove

Quote from: Sano on September 21, 2012, 01:43:40 PM

1) It might have something to do with not wanting to turn him into an icon. Plus IIRC there is an order by God somewhere either in the Torah or the Quran not to represent animals or people, which people don't strictly obey anymore. Most of Christianity also didn't allow images of Christ for some time.

I think you are right here. I have heard this before. What I forgot to mention in my post, is that the prohibition is concerns Muslims making images of (prophet) Muhammed as opposed to ordinary, everyday Muhammed. Which gives us an interesting dilemma. Islam also prohibits the eating of pork and the consumption of alcohol, but apparently no one thinks this is 'riot worthy'. I've yet to see any 'Death to Americans who eat bacon' protests, though I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

2) I think Muhammad was already a common name in the region before the prophet Muhammad.

Probably was though, now that the name is associated strongly with a major religious figure, I believe that has a certain influence on the name selection of children, just as people in the west insist on 'good old fashioned traditional names' which are often from the Bible.

3) No.

You're probably right here too....I was just being silly.  :p
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.