News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Educating Hunter: Libertarians

Started by hunter s.durden, September 30, 2012, 05:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 30, 2012, 07:01:44 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 30, 2012, 07:00:26 PM

Another easy way to wind up a libertarian is to ask them whether it should be legal that someone sell themselves into slavery.

Oh, you're good.

I've been banned from three forums/blogs for that gambit.

There is also a libertarian argument which requires treating children as property or else treating them as legal adults, but I cannot remember it exactly.

hunter s.durden

Quote from: holist on September 30, 2012, 06:40:18 PM

(And the entire paper here: http://www.peterleeson.com/better_off_stateless.pdf)

I DID read. Is the "between the lines" message here supposed to be "It worked for Somalia, image what we (US) could do?" If this is the case... um... yeah... perhaps unrestricted cattle trade with Kenya would improve our current economic situation.
I did not get to the second thing, though I will probably get to it. I am supposed to be getting educated here, and if I'll read Gene Ray I'll read just about anything.
Thank you for braving the shit fest and offering pro-Lib material.

Cain, you always know when to get right to the trawlings. I especially liked the second bit. Subject: Lima (as he will heretofore be know)did once mention that "people think Libertarians don't want traffic light and stuff, and this isn't true." He did not mention by what sorcery these things will be paid for, and I was not prepared for battle (sorry, my honor is stained), so we didn't get into that.
This space for rent.

Mangrove

The Libertarian belief that 'the free market' will eventually get rid of nasty things out of society is particularly ridiculous. Rand Paul said in interviews that he would have opposed Civil Rights legislation in the 1960s (had he'd been around) because he felt that it was unfair that the big, mean nasty old government would insist on legislation to treat people equally. He seemed to think that sufficient numbers of people of good conscience would say "Why, I don't think it's right that negroes can't eat here. I will spend my money somewhere else!"

That they even think the 'free market' is actually free is hilarious. People with enormous amounts of money use same to gain influence over politicians. The usual requests are for no bid contracts, tax cuts/loopholes and deregulation. (Look into the insanity that is Halliburton, their involvement in the Iraq war and the magical way they paid minus $1billion in tax.)

What I find most staggering about the libertarians and republicans I've encountered is the fact they have become cheerleaders for the very same people whose ideologies would rob them blind. It's like watching 18th century French peasants praising the aristocracy for their decadence.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: hunter s.durden on September 30, 2012, 08:13:10 PM
Lima (as he will heretofore be know)did once mention that "people think Libertarians don't want traffic light and stuff, and this isn't true." He did not mention by what sorcery these things will be paid for, and I was not prepared for battle (sorry, my honor is stained), so we didn't get into that.

But privately owned roads for general traffic already exist? The Machinery of Freedom will describe in great detail how traffic lighs would get paid for.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Cain

Libertarianism is also closely linked to support for returning to the Gold Standard, about the dumbest idea in all of economic history.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I had a live one on facebook earlier pushing for voter ID.

We pushed him awhile and he said "forget about the fact that they can provide ID and sign paperwork for social security, food stamps, welfare, ad nauseum" and people on food stamps "are all carrying iPhones and driving cars more expensive than mine and have tattoos, jewelry, hairdos, manicures and designer clothing"

LOL butthurt racists.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Freeky

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on October 01, 2012, 12:06:59 AM

We pushed him awhile and he said "forget about the fact that they can provide ID and sign paperwork for social security, food stamps, welfare, ad nauseum" and people on food stamps "are all carrying iPhones and driving cars more expensive than mine and have tattoos, jewelry, hairdos, manicures and designer clothing"

LOL butthurt racists.

I need a link to this.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on October 01, 2012, 12:12:51 AM

We pushed him awhile and he said "forget about the fact that they can provide ID and sign paperwork for social security, food stamps, welfare, ad  :lulz:
LOL butthurt racists.

I need a link to this.

https://www.facebook.com/stella.waldvogel/posts/470153899672939?notif_t=share_comment

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

He keeps coming back. :D

Anna Mae Bollocks

Unfriended. Just got this in my fb PM box.  :lulz:

QuoteLet's see - I showed you a video where people aren't getting ONE phone - they're getting SEVERAL. #oops

Then I mentioned people who maybe shouldn't be receiving entitlements and you say it's "racist" - why is that Stella? I didn't mention race, now did I? #oops

It just so happens that the people I know who abuse the system are white and as far as those at WalMart etc, could be white black or brown. But I'm a racist. Got it. Jim Crow and shit, right on.

You on the other hand are either a moron or a liar - I suspect both. Have fun with your like-minded buddies. Adios!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on October 01, 2012, 03:12:15 AM

QuoteLet's see - I showed you a video where people aren't getting ONE phone - they're getting SEVERAL. #oops

Then I mentioned people who maybe shouldn't be receiving entitlements and you say it's "racist" - why is that Stella? I didn't mention race, now did I? #oops

It just so happens that the people I know who abuse the system are white and as far as those at WalMart etc, could be white black or brown. But I'm a racist. Got it. Jim Crow and shit, right on.

You on the other hand are either a moron or a liar - I suspect both. Have fun with your like-minded buddies. Adios!

:lulz:

ROGER WINS AGAIN.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

The strongest argument that you can make against the libertarian party is that the gop has coopted them. A real libertarian would vote for libertarians and not republicans. It would be like a green saying they vote democrat. Its ridiculous.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 01, 2012, 03:19:28 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on October 01, 2012, 03:12:15 AM

ROGER WINS AGAIN.

And you did it in THREE POSTS. I just checked the time stamps. It was after "Funny breed of Libertarian they're making, these days."  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

AND THE HEATHENS WERE SHAMED.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel DON KNOTTS IN A ROWBOAT!

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Mangrove on September 30, 2012, 09:15:45 PM
What I find most staggering about the libertarians and republicans I've encountered is the fact they have become cheerleaders for the very same people whose ideologies would rob them blind. It's like watching 18th century French peasants praising the aristocracy for their decadence.
This. I like this. It kind of itched something that I haven't quite been able to word.

Quote from: Cain on September 30, 2012, 11:54:07 PM
Libertarianism is also closely linked to support for returning to the Gold Standard, about the dumbest idea in all of economic history.

I am just learning the ins and outs of this concept. So far it's hilarious. Don't spoil the ending for me.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 01, 2012, 03:19:28 AM
ROGER WINS AGAIN.
Bullshit. It's the mind control lasers. You refuse to play fair.

Please explain the voter ID thing, I don't fully understand this issue. Why is it a bad thing? Is it just seen as a waste of money? How does the race component come into play in regards to ID. And why would a Lib support such a thing?ISn't that government interference/ more taxes needed for cards?

Getting educated as fuck up in here.
This space for rent.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 01, 2012, 03:37:22 AM
AND THE HEATHENS WERE SHAMED.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel[/i] DON KNOTTS IN A ROWBOAT!