News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Brick Walls

Started by AFK, October 02, 2012, 10:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Man has been allowed to come into being and molded by the same universe that possesses the cold indifference as to the duration and quality of that existence.  It is in this spirit, that it should come to no surprise that man treats man the way it does.  That any man cares for any other man, at all, is something of a miracle.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Wow.  I was expecting a pun, and got insight instead.  Cool!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 02, 2012, 10:38:12 AM
Man has been allowed to come into being and molded by the same universe that possesses the cold indifference as to the duration and quality of that existence.  It is in this spirit, that it should come to no surprise that man treats man the way it does.  That any man cares for any other man, at all, is something of a miracle.

Very well stated. Connecting the lack of intentional design, with the lack of imposed social responsibility is nice... Sething that nontheists often try to skirt arpund because its not very nice to consider.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Verbal Mike

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on October 02, 2012, 12:51:03 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 02, 2012, 10:38:12 AM

Very well stated. Connecting the lack of intentional design, with the lack of imposed social responsibility is nice... Sething that nontheists often try to skirt arpund because its not very nice to consider.
Which is a shame, really, because that last sentence in the OP is an excellent starting point for some really nice positive humanism.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 02, 2012, 12:39:45 PM
Wow.  I was expecting a pun, and got insight instead.  Cool!

For some reason the first line popped into my head last night.  And I gnashed on it a little more and produced the little think morsel this morning.

It sounds kind of depressing depending on how you look at it I suppose. 

And of course there is enough of something wired into our socilogical evolution that keeps us from descending to all-out, no one is spared, 24/7 endemic savagery. 

But when I think of US on a cosmic level.  A big ass space rock could wipe us out tomorrow and it changes nothing for 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the universe.

I'm probably giving us far too much credit.

But that is the universe within which we have individually and as a collective been reared. 

On a cosmic level, there just us absolutely no incentive for peace.  Holy fuck, just imagine if we were life beings with infinite life spans.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.