Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

1. I feel like crap on a stick. It's too bad I don't have an FMRI, I could have studied my brain in the process of making a bad decision last night! I'm glad that beer was only five percent, or I'd really be suffering today.

2. I went for my first post-op run this morning, which was in fact my first run in over a year, possibly close to two years. It was marvelous! It was rainy and chilly and muddy and slippery and I couldn't go more than three blocks at a stretch without having to walk a block and I only went about a mile and a half, but it felt GREAT. No more weight pressing me down in the middle, compressing my organs and making me feel sick and anchored to the ground. I felt light and agile again, even though I'm 20 lbs overweight. I won't be for long; I'll do this run every other morning until it feels comfortable, and then I'll push it out to two miles, and by winter term I should be up to 3 miles every other day, alternating with walking 4 miles a day.

3. I have a new pet hate, which is when someone says they "study" something, but actually what they mean is that they read popsci books on the subject. Listen, jerk, reading "Freakonomics" does not make you an economics scholar, any more than that subscription to "New Science" makes you a physicist. I bet you think it does, though, don't you? Shut up.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 30, 2012, 04:21:12 PM
Quote from: Pixie on October 30, 2012, 04:20:47 PM
Quote from: CAKE on October 30, 2012, 03:53:34 PM
Good luck Pixie! Once the shitty housemates are gone things will get so much better for you!

let's also hope I don't slip into stress induced psychosis between now and February...

It's never slowed ME down...

thers an upside and a downside to the whole psychosis thing.

downside; psychosis is distressing as fuck.

upside: I will get a shrink and more help, and if it's as spectacular as the last time I might get extra money, a free bus pass, and a bunch of other stuff. If it gets really bad I'll get a free holiday in the psych unit.

the downside is worse than the upsides, really, despite there being more of them.

hooplala

I've been studying economics recently... you guys heard of this thing, the Free Market?  Apparently it's pretty boss.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Pope Pixie Pickle

I don't study things, I take an active interest in them...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pixie on October 30, 2012, 04:26:55 PM
Good luck Pixie! Once the shitty housemates are gone things will get so much better for you!

let's also hope I don't slip into stress induced psychosis between now and February...

upside: I will get a shrink and more help, and if it's as spectacular as the last time I might get extra money, a free bus pass, and a bunch of other stuff. If it gets really bad I'll get a free holiday in the psych unit.

the downside is worse than the upsides, really, despite there being more of them.

Well, see, you're talking about REAL mental illness.  I was talking about temporary loss of faculties on account of dumbasses.

So sorry if I came off as being flip.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 30, 2012, 04:32:52 PM

Well, see, you're talking about REAL mental illness.  I was talking about temporary loss of faculties on account of dumbasses.

It's all good Roger. it made me chuckle.

I just hope I don't lose my shit between now and after coming back from Scotland for my holiday.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pixie on October 30, 2012, 04:36:46 PM

I just hope I don't lose my shit between now and after coming back from Scotland for my holiday.

You're gonna be fine.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Luna on October 30, 2012, 03:55:22 PM
Quote from: CAKE on October 30, 2012, 03:51:36 PM
Quote from: Luna on October 30, 2012, 09:49:02 AM
Quote from: CAKE on October 30, 2012, 07:20:54 AM
Boyfriend is asleep THAT'S STUPID. He should be entertaining me.  :argh!:

If you can't think of at least six entertaining ways to wake him...

That's just cruel, on a Monday night! Besides, he was asleep at HIS house, which is five miles away from my house.

Never had a man say waking him is CRUEL, particularly when I'm feeling... inventive...  ;)  The five miles bit would complicate things, however, particualarly if locked doors are involved.

It was mostly the drunk driving that was deterring me. And the fact that he's almost 50 and needs his beauty sleep.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Filthy zerging bastards have forced me to stop gaming and once again interact with the real world.

I am, of course, referring to students.  At least I'm allowed to shoot the other filthy zerging bastards in the head.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 30, 2012, 04:40:48 PM
Quote from: Pixie on October 30, 2012, 04:36:46 PM

You're gonna be fine.

I really hope so. The fact I can recognise red flags in my mental health is one of the reasons they won't refer me to a shrink. I ended up buying new socks and underpance yesterday just in case I got admitted.. This kind of forward planning is not usually the sign of someone who has utterly lost the fecking plot.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 30, 2012, 05:06:37 PM
Filthy zerging bastards have forced me to stop gaming and once again interact with the real world.

I am, of course, referring to students.  At least I'm allowed to shoot the other filthy zerging bastards in the head.

Ankle-biters are no fun at all.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pixie on October 30, 2012, 05:06:55 PM
I really hope so. The fact I can recognise red flags in my mental health is one of the reasons they won't refer me to a shrink. I ended up buying new socks and underpance yesterday just in case I got admitted.. This kind of forward planning is not usually the sign of someone who has utterly lost the fecking plot.

I'm in the same boat, from time to time.  As long as the wiring doesn't catch fire, nobody seems to mind if it's a bit of a mess.

Cain

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 30, 2012, 05:07:14 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 30, 2012, 05:06:37 PM

Ankle-biters are no fun at all.

I know right?  You offer to play one little game of Russian roulette with an automatic and they start crying.

And I'm still stuck in this office for the next hour and a half.  Fuck.  I'm going to have to do something to break the tedium.  Maybe I'll start inventing siege weapons out of the spare stock.  I have half a dozen steak knives, lots of plates and boxes of office equipment to stick it all together with. 

Perhaps I could rig some kind of knife-throwing implement for people who open the door and don't duck quick enough...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 30, 2012, 05:12:47 PM
I know right?  You offer to play one little game of Russian roulette with an automatic and they start crying.

:lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS