News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: CAKE on October 29, 2012, 09:31:18 PM
Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 29, 2012, 09:06:20 PM
Quote from: CAKE on October 29, 2012, 08:59:01 PM
Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 29, 2012, 06:02:08 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 29, 2012, 05:59:42 PM
Quote from: CAKE on October 29, 2012, 02:48:21 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 29, 2012, 06:24:58 AM
I hate petnames. Hate hate hate them. From everyone, but especially from strangers. They are condescending and full of false intimacy. People who know me know better than to use them with me.

What do you mean by "petnames"? To me, a pet name is an affectionate name that is given you by someone who knows you well. Like my friends calling me K-dogg.

Do you mean things like "hon" and "sweetie" from strangers? That has always seemed deeply inappropriate to me because they are intimate terms of address.
"K-Dogg" I would classify as a nickname, which are different than a pet name and are things I like. Pet names would be, yeah, "hon" and "sweetheart" and the like, which I don't like from ANYONE.

I like 'em, when it's my wife saying them.  She is the one person that doesn't annoy me by shortening my name.

Or, hell, my daughter (Baldy, Old Man, etc)

I know what you mean about the diminutives. Occasionally someone will decide to call me "Kal", which I fucking loathe. I am fine with "K-rah" and I will tolerate "Lera" but I fucking. HATE. Kal. Anyone who calls me "Kal" doesn't know me well enough to attempt to use a diminutive of my name.

"Nig" is fine though. Which reminds me of a story, which is that in my local BBS group of friends back in the dialup days, we had this girl, Laughing Toad. One day, while registering on a BBS, she mistyped her name as "Laughnig Toad". She was black, and everyone thought this was adorable and funny and we called her "Nig". One day, a new guy came along, and he was HORRIFIED AND OUTRAGED because someone referred to Nig, and he went BAAAAWWWWW RACISM!

And then Nig was all, duh, it's my name, also I'm black, and verily, he was embarrassed. And we all had a good laugh, The end.

For me, it's more that shortening the name implies a level of familiarity.  Having someone I'm not that familiar with shorten my name is an intrusion into my space, if you know what I mean.  It's having that person interject him/herself into a level of relationship that I find uncomfortable in the extreme.

Yes, exactly. If someone thinks they know me well enough to try to use a diminutive of my name, they damn well better know me well enough to know which ones I'm cool with.

For strangers, I'd just as soon return to the days of formal address by honorarium and last name, because I'm not that keen on people I don't know using my first name without permission.

What used to irk me to no end was when I was working crappy service jobs with name tags.

Customer: *leans in slightly and peers at name tag over left tit* AND *calls me by my first name* OR *calls me by the name I use on my tax forms, which is what the boss put on my name tag*

I had a very cool boss once who let us use fake names on the name tags so us women wouldn't get phone stalked at work, though. If the phone rang and some guy asked for "Victorine" (me) or "Tinkerbell", we knew it was a perv we didn't give our name to.

But I don't even like women using my name off a tag. If there's been no introduction of any kind, pls to be keeping my name out of your mouth. I think all this came from an article that I vaguely remember seeing years ago, Dear Abby or something, saying that we LIKED being called by name, because it was more PERSONAL. Uhhhhhhh...BOUNDARIES, shitneck.

Another one I hated was "Miss". "Oh MISS!" We had KIDS, FFS. "Miss" implies we're some kind of eunuch class for them to grind underfoot.

Formal address by honorarium and last name would help retail workers a LOT.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Juana

YES ^^^^. I will give customers I like my name, but Mx. and my surname is what I would prefer for people I don't know.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

EK WAFFLR

It's dark. I'mma go throw snowballs at the neighbours. I like'em, but not THAT much. Besides, they're all old, and couldn't catch up to me if they tried.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Juana

Waffle, you reminded me:

Photographer/camera nerds, I seek your advice. My mom's looking for a DSRL. Are there any brands that are particularly sturdy? I can advise her on most what she needs to know, but not that.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 30, 2012, 06:55:31 PM
Waffle, you reminded me:

Photographer/camera nerds, I seek your advice. My mom's looking for a DSRL. Are there any brands that are particularly sturdy? I can advise her on most what she needs to know, but not that.

I always go for canon, but I don't know much about dslr cameras to be honest
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Juana

Freeky

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 30, 2012, 06:43:40 PM
Okay, I'm off to torment teabaggers.

:kingmeh:

Had to pick up monkey, have 13 minutes to stuff my face before crossing town to class.

Freeky

BLAM!  Big fucking salad downed in 14.

See you this evening, PD!

Nephew Twiddleton

Lost consciousness again. Hopefully this means the cold wont last too much longer.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

So, I trolled a few teabaggers, but they aren't much fun anymore.

Then I popped over to what's left of Newsweek, and was told that disagreeing with someone is "soft patriarchy", as "everyone's arguments are equally valid".  I had fun with that til I got banned.

Then I took a run at democraticunderground, and got banned there for asking why Camp X-Ray is still open.

Then I watched Fizzy Grizzly melt down some more.  Someone with FTP access is using the accounts of flounced members.  How nice.

Then I headed over to Capitol Grilling.  Dead.

I am beginning to agree with Nigel, that PD's problems are endemic to all forums, and that everyone is being eaten by the beast we call "Facebook".

Juana

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 30, 2012, 08:25:24 PM
Facebook gets so boring. So, so boring.

Yeah, it's the reverse of this place.  People TALK, but they don't SAY ANYTHING.

Here, nobody says shit 99% of the time, but when they do, it's usually worth reading.

I think I'll fuck off and go screw with some more lefty forums.  I'm in a mood, and PD isn't delivering the goods today.

Nephew Twiddleton

This is the only forum i really visit with any frequency because its the only one that holds my interest. Maybe it is endemic. I dunno.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS