News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: CAKE on October 31, 2012, 08:25:59 PM
Speaking of communication between sexes, I just learned that the female voice activates the male emotional center, which is why men think women are emotional when they talk.
:lulz:

More proof of the Malicious God theory. And an explanation for all the many times I've heard "why are you being so emotional about this?" when I was not being emotional at all, causing me to go :?

hahahaha! OMG I WANT THE CITATION FOR THIS!

Pope Pixie Pickle

http://youtu.be/f17fWth3YgA

YAY OLD PEOPLE!

These folks are awesome. Especially the old black woman who wants to cock-punch Romney.

Cain

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15978839

QuoteIn schizophrenia, auditory verbal hallucinations (AVHs) are likely to be perceived as gender-specific. Given that functional neuro-imaging correlates of AVHs involve multiple brain regions principally including auditory cortex, it is likely that those brain regions responsible for attribution of gender to speech are invoked during AVHs. We used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and a paradigm utilising 'gender-apparent' (unaltered) and 'gender-ambiguous' (pitch-scaled) male and female voice stimuli to test the hypothesis that male and female voices activate distinct brain areas during gender attribution. The perception of female voices, when compared with male voices, affected greater activation of the right anterior superior temporal gyrus, near the superior temporal sulcus. Similarly, male voice perception activated the mesio-parietal precuneus area. These different gender associations could not be explained by either simple pitch perception or behavioural response because the activations that we observed were conjointly activated by both 'gender-apparent' and 'gender-ambiguous' voices. The results of this study demonstrate that, in the male brain, the perception of male and female voices activates distinct brain regions.

And

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_temporal_gyrus

QuoteThe superior temporal gyrus has been involved in the perception of emotions in facial stimuli.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Cain on November 01, 2012, 10:41:10 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15978839

QuoteIn schizophrenia, auditory verbal hallucinations (AVHs) are likely to be perceived as gender-specific. Given that functional neuro-imaging correlates of AVHs involve multiple brain regions principally including auditory cortex, it is likely that those brain regions responsible for attribution of gender to speech are invoked during AVHs. We used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and a paradigm utilising 'gender-apparent' (unaltered) and 'gender-ambiguous' (pitch-scaled) male and female voice stimuli to test the hypothesis that male and female voices activate distinct brain areas during gender attribution. The perception of female voices, when compared with male voices, affected greater activation of the right anterior superior temporal gyrus, near the superior temporal sulcus. Similarly, male voice perception activated the mesio-parietal precuneus area. These different gender associations could not be explained by either simple pitch perception or behavioural response because the activations that we observed were conjointly activated by both 'gender-apparent' and 'gender-ambiguous' voices. The results of this study demonstrate that, in the male brain, the perception of male and female voices activates distinct brain regions.

And

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_temporal_gyrus

QuoteThe superior temporal gyrus has been involved in the perception of emotions in facial stimuli.

Thank you, Cain. Oh man imma have so much fun with this fact.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 01, 2012, 07:30:50 AM
Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on November 01, 2012, 01:09:44 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 01, 2012, 01:03:57 AM
Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on November 01, 2012, 12:57:38 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 01, 2012, 12:48:26 AM
Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on November 01, 2012, 12:46:59 AM
Yeah, so I spent a year worried about Dr James Semaj, after his disappearance.

Then it turns out he's been avoiding us in favor of Facebook.

Yay.

TGRR,
Isn't worried anymore.  Fuck that guy.

Oh. Well. Glad he's ok at any rate. Why'd he bounce though?

Who knows?  Who cares?

Because he just disappeared without warning.

Yeah, turns out that he was 17, and when he asked to be on the demented mailing list, he failed to mention his exact age, or the fact that his parents apparently read all of his mail before they give it to him.

So he was banned (by his folks) from posting here until he turned 18.

Well, he turned 18 a few months later, and then didn't bother coming back.  Then he visited not long ago, PM'd me about what happened, ignored my friend request, refused to post, and settled in at Cram's FB board (you know, the ones that aren't allowed to post here or whatnot because it might be disloyalty to Cram).

So I've been worried about him all this time for nothing.  So has Phox, IIRC.

So screw him and everyone else that decided that they're too good for us.

To my knowledge Cram has never expressed to anyone that he would be upset if they posted here, or implied the same. He certainly has never expressed that sentiment to me privately.

Roger, I feel like theres a lot of people out there whose feelings about PD have changed or are changing, and that thats a reflection on how they feel about a webpage, not about you. I dont think I engage with you less via PD because I've grown to be disinterested in you as an individual, but because its not the place for me it first was (or because I'm not the person I was when I arrived). And I think probably most people who've spent time here (although I'm sure theres discussions I haven't seen) would jump at the chance to spend time with you because they value PD/forums/internet time/whatever less; not because the value the people they connect to less.

But what is PD?  It's a collection of people.  It's you and me and Nigel and Pixie and LMNO and Cain and everyone else here.

And while you may not say as much as you used to, you didn't fuck off without even saying "goodbye", and when asked, essentially say that "You're all my friends, but I'm bored with you now.  On to the next fad."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pixie on November 01, 2012, 10:21:50 AM
Quote from: CAKE on October 31, 2012, 08:25:59 PM
Speaking of communication between sexes, I just learned that the female voice activates the male emotional center, which is why men think women are emotional when they talk.
:lulz:

More proof of the Malicious God theory. And an explanation for all the many times I've heard "why are you being so emotional about this?" when I was not being emotional at all, causing me to go :?

hahahaha! OMG I WANT THE CITATION FOR THIS!

Pretty sure this is it: http://www.psychiatry.dept.shef.ac.uk/publications/607

I haven't read the article, so I'm going on the word of my sociology professor, but she's a pretty accomplished researcher.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Had a pretty fun time at a party last night, being rowdy and obnoxious and giving the ol' Freeky schtick a good airing. 

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

The room we're supposed to be moving into from our temporary arrangement is suddenly looking a bit uncertain. The couple that was planning on moving to NY is stressed to the point of possibly breaking up, and that was going to be our more permanent arrangement. Sounds like the place they were going to move to fell through, Sandy accidentally'd the region, and a miscommunication between them last night has at least one of them abruptly rethinking their coupledom.

It's probably going to be fine, as they're both very intelligent, funny, and good communicators. Arguments amongst significant others are all part of the joy of intimate relationships, it's just the whole natural disaster thing that might be magnifying things just a wee bit.

In other news, I spent most of my day off yesterday meditating on those multistoried, tortuous arrays of overpasses that knot around major freeway junctions. I made an unsatisfying attempt to capture the idea with my camera, but wasn't able to find the original vantage point I noticed from the passengers seat of my coworker's car on the way to work.

170 some pictures later, the best shot (which I don't think is very good) happened to be one that came out pretty sharp even though I bumped the tripod halfway through the 20 second exposure:

While the mission was a failure, it was nice to get away from everyone for a while.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a weird thing that I'm not sure how I feel about it.

So, one of my longtime friends has become friends with my former housemate, the one who is the psycho ex-girlfriend of another longtime friend. The one who tried to sabotage a bunch of my friendships.

I have had a party on Halloween night every Halloween for about ten years. It's normally my one big annual event that everyone expects and everyone comes to. I am actually getting quite sick of it, to tell the truth, but that's another story.

Anyway, about a week after I posted my invite, I started hearing from other people that my friend was also sending invites. They were confused, and assumed that she was passing along an invitation to my party. Turns out, actually, she had decided to have her own party, and psycho ex-housemate was in charge of the invites. I don't really have to read much into it for it to be obvious what that was all about; she decided to hold a competing party for psycho ex-housemate because psycho ex-housemate wasn't invited to mine.

So I don't know how I feel about this friend at this point. Not because it's some big betrayal, but because I know she's done pills with psycho ex-housemate and the party thing is weird and I'm not sure I trust her anymore. I feel like I should probably distance myself from her.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on November 01, 2012, 04:17:38 PM
The room we're supposed to be moving into from our temporary arrangement is suddenly looking a bit uncertain. The couple that was planning on moving to NY is stressed to the point of possibly breaking up, and that was going to be our more permanent arrangement. Sounds like the place they were going to move to fell through, Sandy accidentally'd the region, and a miscommunication between them last night has at least one of them abruptly rethinking their coupledom.

It's probably going to be fine, as they're both very intelligent, funny, and good communicators. Arguments amongst significant others are all part of the joy of intimate relationships, it's just the whole natural disaster thing that might be magnifying things just a wee bit.

In other news, I spent most of my day off yesterday meditating on those multistoried, tortuous arrays of overpasses that knot around major freeway junctions. I made an unsatisfying attempt to capture the idea with my camera, but wasn't able to find the original vantage point I noticed from the passengers seat of my coworker's car on the way to work.

170 some pictures later, the best shot (which I don't think is very good) happened to be one that came out pretty sharp even though I bumped the tripod halfway through the 20 second exposure:

While the mission was a failure, it was nice to get away from everyone for a while.

That's a good picture, I like it. Down by Liberty Glass, near the Alleyway of the Ozarks?

Juana

Yeah, I like it, too! The lighting is neat and the lines are nice.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

Also, urge to kick Romney repeatedly is rising. BINDERS FULL OF WOMEN.

ETA: I already had heard about it, of course, but hearing it out of the horse's mouth is another thing entirely.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Freeky

Nephew Twiddleton

It means that he intentionally hired females based on their gender because he knew his governorship was merely meant to be a stepping stone to pennsylvania ave
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS