News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

So, we need a definition of beauty.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 21, 2012, 08:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on October 24, 2012, 07:08:48 PM
are you saying that beauty should not be a value judgement at all, or just that it's too heavily weighted?

Does this also extend to other virtues?  specifically thinking about intelligence.
"god, he's dumb"
"yeah, but he's got street-smarts/common sense" or "yeah, but he's really nice"

:? I think I was pretty clear that it shouldn't be a value judgement when it comes to fundamental human value. I am pretty sure I used those exact words.

It's appropriate as a value judgement if the value being judged is appearance. For instance, if you think your wife is beautiful, or in a beauty contest (which I think are fucking inane and moronic, but hey).
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 24, 2012, 07:47:06 PM
are you saying that beauty should not be a value judgement at all, or just that it's too heavily weighted?

Does this also extend to other virtues?  specifically thinking about intelligence.
"god, he's dumb"
I think she's saying it should not be the ultimate value judgement, which "everyone is beautiful" makes it.

Yes. This. Thank you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 24, 2012, 07:47:06 PM

"god, he's dumb"
I think she's saying it should not be the ultimate value judgement, which "everyone is beautiful" makes it.

More like "If we say everyone is beautiful, then we aren't required to learn anything else about the people around us, because we can just staple a meaningless platitude (Beautiful) to them and consider them properly classified."

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

PANGO!

HOW IS IT ENTIRE THREAD FOR "DEFINITION OF BEAUTY" TAKE 8 PAGES, AND NOT A SINGLE ONE OF YOU PATHETIC DOGS HAS MENTIONED BREASTS?

NOW, PANGO REALIZE THAT SOMETIMES THE BEAUTY IS NOT SO MUCH IN THE FACE. BUT GENTLEMEN, BEAUTY IS LOVE, NO? AND WHO MAKE THE LOVE TO A FACE? NOT PANGO.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Man Green on October 24, 2012, 07:49:01 PM

"god, he's dumb"

:? I think I was pretty clear that it shouldn't be a value judgement when it comes to fundamental human value. I am pretty sure I used those exact words.

It's appropriate as a value judgement if the value being judged is appearance. For instance, if you think your wife is beautiful, or in a beauty contest (which I think are fucking inane and moronic, but hey).

Beauty contests are the PINKEST THING EVER INVENTED.

Hey, check out our contestants!  Listen to them demonstrate some cutesy talent!  Listen to their lofty-sounding yet impractical/impossible ideas of what to do with their crown!

"I want to use my Ms America title to work toward world peace!"

Then watch them SHUT THE FUCK UP and climb into a bikini, so we can all get what we really came here for!  Ah, yes, NOW the product is PROPERLY PACKAGED.

Let's hear what the judges have to say!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Bikini and HEELS. Because EVERYBODY wears stillettos to the beach.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on October 24, 2012, 08:24:00 PM

It's a national fucking embarrassment.  Do they even put it on TV anymore?

The Good Reverend Roger

If they do, they need to dig up Bert Parks' festering corpse and prop him up behind the microphone.

You know, as a tradition thing.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 24, 2012, 08:31:09 PM
If they do, they need to dig up Bert Parks' festering corpse and prop him up behind the microphone.

You know, as a tradition thing.

I would actually WATCH that.  :lulz:

Anna Mae Bollocks

And I know what's going to happen when I start talking up this "physical beauty is a fucked up standard for judging the intrinsic worth of people":

"YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS!!!!!:x

Sita

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 24, 2012, 08:29:19 PM

They do. According to their site you'll be able to watch it in January on ABC.

In case you want to torture yourself or something.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on October 24, 2012, 08:44:40 PM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 24, 2012, 08:29:19 PM

They do. According to their site you'll be able to watch it in January on ABC.

In case you want to torture yourself or something.

I want to be Ms Arizona.  And if they say I can't because I'm a guy, I should sue the shit out of them.

TGRR,
Will do his little turn on the catwalk.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I'd watch THAT, too. On Pay-Per-View.  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on October 24, 2012, 08:54:29 PM
I'd watch THAT, too. On Pay-Per-View.  :lulz:

My talent is that I can play The Star-Spangled Banner on the harmonica...

...With my ass.