News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Shooting at CT Elementary School. WTF AMERICA?!

Started by Suu, December 14, 2012, 05:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on December 16, 2012, 08:33:08 PM
Wait...mom was a gun nut with a house full of guns and it was her gun?

And the guy had a diagnosis?

So this was a case of mom dropping the ball a la Andrea Yates husband? "It'll be fine..."

And everybody's trying to use a bunch of dead kids as leverage to push legislation when what should have happened was SOMEBODY NOT BEING A FUCKING MORON?

Am I understanding this correctly?
A moron with her legally purchased guns let another moron have access to these guns go on a shooting spree yes, as long as it's legal morons will get guns. To Push legislation that separates morons from guns doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

There is also the argument that the proliferation of guns now makes that kind of legislation irrelevant, if so I would suggest the US military be used to carpet bomb the worst effected regions if they are such a lost cause that trying to reverse the problem is not an option.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Faust on December 16, 2012, 09:34:13 PM
To Push legislation that separates morons from guns doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

At a superficial level, it seems entirely rational and not a bad thing.

Think a little deeper (use your Thinking SpadeTM for this), and I think you'll realise that doing this makes you an active supporter of the notion that pushing for legislation (any legislation) is a viable way of improving the increasingly global, increasingly cancerous post-industrial society. It is not. This is sad and sometimes desperately depressing, hard to face, but it is a fact. In my opinion.  :)
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Faust

Quote from: holist on December 16, 2012, 09:42:41 PM
To Push legislation that separates morons from guns doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

At a superficial level, it seems entirely rational and not a bad thing.

Think a little deeper (use your Thinking SpadeTM for this), and I think you'll realise that doing this makes you an active supporter of the notion that pushing for legislation (any legislation) is a viable way of improving the increasingly global, increasingly cancerous post-industrial society. It is not. This is sad and sometimes desperately depressing, hard to face, but it is a fact. In my opinion.  :)
Ok holist. I'm currently pushing for abortion legislation to be brought into Ireland. I am an active support that legislation is a viable way of improving some aspects of society.
But I realise I have just wasted my time responding to you on this and I won't be making that mistake again.

Anna Mae Bollocks

So this was a case of mom dropping the ball a la Andrea Yates husband? "It'll be fine..."

And everybody's trying to use a bunch of dead kids as leverage to push legislation when what should have happened was SOMEBODY NOT BEING A FUCKING MORON?

A moron with her legally purchased guns let another moron have access to these guns go on a shooting spree yes, as long as it's legal morons will get guns. To Push legislation that separates morons from guns doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

A lot of morons get them illegally.
Maybe the legislation needs to target the moron side of this and not the gun side.  :lol:

I know, I know, not doable...

There is also the argument that the proliferation of guns now makes that kind of legislation irrelevant, if so I would suggest the US military be used to carpet bomb the worst effected regions if they are such a lost cause that trying to reverse the problem is not an option.

TEXAS!!!!! YEEEE HAWWWWWWW!  :fap:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Faust

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on December 16, 2012, 09:55:42 PM

A lot of morons get them illegally.
Maybe the legislation needs to target the moron side of this and not the gun side.  :lol:

I know, I know, not doable...

"The Gun side"
Why the fuck is there any kind of legitimate gun side? overthrown many tyrants lately, shot many redcoats lately? I agree though both the legal purchase of guns and the illegally acquired weapons should be dealt with equally in effort to stop each.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This was a really interesting post that I think cuts right to the heart of things: http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: hølist on December 16, 2012, 10:30:36 PM
This was a really interesting post that I think cuts right to the heart of things: http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother

And the comments are quite a look into the mental illness stigma.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Anna Mae Bollocks

And it takes us right back to the school to prison pipeline.
Whether their wiring is funny or not.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 16, 2012, 10:45:42 PM

I only read a few of them, and they all raised points that were valid in different ways... even the one that said (in less pretty terms) that if you have a child you believe is capable of mass murder, you should take any measure available to prevent it, however extreme. I don't think that's the solution; I think that a more supportive, less toxic culture is the solution. But until we live in such a culture, we only have the options that are available to us.

Which comments did you have in mind, specifically?

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on December 16, 2012, 10:51:32 PM

And it takes us right back to the school to prison pipeline.
Whether their wiring is funny or not.

Yep.

Using the legal system to punish people for being mentally ill is the exact opposite of a solution.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: hølist on December 16, 2012, 10:53:42 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 16, 2012, 10:45:42 PM

I only read a few of them, and they all raised points that were valid in different ways... even the one that said (in less pretty terms) that if you have a child you believe is capable of mass murder, you should take any measure available to prevent it, however extreme. I don't think that's the solution; I think that a more supportive, less toxic culture is the solution. But until we live in such a culture, we only have the options that are available to us.

Which comments did you have in mind, specifically?

Quote"You're a stupid bitch. I can wear whatever pants I want to. This is America. I have rights!"

Growing up, if those words had escaped my big mouth, I would be sore all over for a week. Back then, child services didn't scare anybody. The line was; "Spare the rod, spoil the kid".

Quite a few of them stemming from the conversation starting with that comment, the idea that an individual with mental illness is just a solid spanking away from perfectly good health and it's the parents, not society, that failed them.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Pæs

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Pæs

Mesozoic Mister Nigel