Shooting at CT Elementary School. WTF AMERICA?!

Started by Suu, December 14, 2012, 05:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Westboro announced they were going to picket the funerals, and Anonymous just went on the offensive against them.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Aidian

Quote from: Suu on December 17, 2012, 01:10:45 AM
Westboro announced they were going to picket the funerals, and Anonymous just went on the offensive against them.

From what I've seen on it, they're planning to protest at the school, not specifically the funerals. Why just traumatize the families, when you can make so many, many more innocent kids suffer past what they've already had to endure? The ongoing debate is to whether they'll follow through, or if this is finally the time that people snap and put a few in traction.
Slightly Diseased Pheromone Discharge of Saintly and Superhuman Proportions

Suu

Well I just saw on Facebook (though not yet confirmed) that Anon has successfully filed a death certficate for a woman with the WBC, and now her SSN is blocked, all of her credit, accounts, etc. POOF, frozen.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Suu on December 17, 2012, 01:10:45 AM

I played Phelps in a production of "The Laramie Project." I researched the fuck out of him. I have this stubborn streak that doesn't allow me to do caricatures of any character's I play, especially real ones. I developed this weird sort of empathy for him during that process...this, though...just...gah. 

It holds with the picture that I formed, with the added aspect now that I think he may be jealous when someone is seen as more of a monster than he is. I think he may have crossed the line of feeling significant by being hated for "righteousness" to feeling anything by simply being hated. I don't know. Speculation. Nauseating.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Pæs

Quote from: Suu on December 17, 2012, 02:13:48 AM
Well I just saw on Facebook (though not yet confirmed) that Anon has successfully filed a death certficate for a woman with the WBC, and now her SSN is blocked, all of her credit, accounts, etc. POOF, frozen.
https://twitter.com/YourAnonNews/status/280385713667710976

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on December 14, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
With assault rifles.

FUCKING ASSAULT RIFLES.

WHY ARE PEOPLE ALLOWED TO HAVE THOSE?! PISTOLS, OKAY, SHOTGUNS, SURE...BUT ASSAULT RIFLES?! COME ON.

There would have been no difference in the number of kids killed. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on December 16, 2012, 10:04:43 PM

Why the fuck is there any kind of legitimate gun side?

Because it's how we do things.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on December 16, 2012, 09:46:41 PM
Quote from: holist on December 16, 2012, 09:42:41 PM
Quote from: Faust on December 16, 2012, 09:34:13 PM
To Push legislation that separates morons from guns doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

At a superficial level, it seems entirely rational and not a bad thing.

Think a little deeper (use your Thinking SpadeTM for this), and I think you'll realise that doing this makes you an active supporter of the notion that pushing for legislation (any legislation) is a viable way of improving the increasingly global, increasingly cancerous post-industrial society. It is not. This is sad and sometimes desperately depressing, hard to face, but it is a fact. In my opinion.  :)
Ok holist. I'm currently pushing for abortion legislation to be brought into Ireland. I am an active support that legislation is a viable way of improving some aspects of society.
But I realise I have just wasted my time responding to you on this and I won't be making that mistake again.

I don't get how people don't understand holist.  It's a thread about dead kids.  He must attention-whore.

What's so fucking hard, here?

Patron Saint

Seek ye not enlightenment for the truth is the journey and the journey is the truth.

Dildo Argentino

To Push legislation that separates morons from guns doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Think a little deeper (use your Thinking SpadeTM for this), and I think you'll realise that doing this makes you an active supporter of the notion that pushing for legislation (any legislation) is a viable way of improving the increasingly global, increasingly cancerous post-industrial society. It is not. This is sad and sometimes desperately depressing, hard to face, but it is a fact. In my opinion.  :)
Ok holist. I'm currently pushing for abortion legislation to be brought into Ireland. I am an active support that legislation is a viable way of improving some aspects of society.
But I realise I have just wasted my time responding to you on this and I won't be making that mistake again.

You see, Faust, although time is essentially impossible to waste (human life is perfectly possible to waste, both one's own and, much more distressingly, that of others), your post, and forgive me for saying this, is rather pointless. The new syllogism recently introduced to PD ("If holist says I'm wrong, I am right") is actually false. Not because of silly old me: it would be wrong with any name substituted for mine. It would also be wrong with "right" substituted for "wrong".

The argument I made (obliquely, because I prefer oblique to rigorous) was that when one balances the benefit of achieving minor advantages by buying into the "political lobbying is a viable means of improving humanity's lot" (pushing for legislation) game against the detrimental effect that this has on having a realistic outlook (on life and human society in general), it is clear that it's not worth it. You stated that you disagree. Now state why you disagree!

Here's an example: my country has definitely the harshest drug laws in the EU. It may seem worthwhile to push for a change of legislation: it is heartbreaking to see teenagers go down for years and have their lives ruined for smoking or sharing a little dope. But what you end up doing is engage with the model that keeps most of our fellows in bondage: perverting your goodwill to grease the machine. So I think it is much better (qualitatively, and not simply be degree) to spread anonymous information among those kids about how to avoid contact with the law altogether.

How would this carry over to the guns and shootings scenario? Instead of pushing for legislation (i.e. engaging with people who are very clearly in the business of keeping the huddled masses down for their own personal benefit, and let's not forget that), produce viral propaganda to popularise the idea that isolated, depressed or antisocial kids are not nuisances but unfortunate and unavoidable products of our society and that talking to them, getting to know them, providing emotional support for them is a good thing.

Harder? Yes. Less glory in it? Yes. But still.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: holist on December 17, 2012, 05:31:58 AM

You see, Faust, although time is essentially impossible to waste (human life is perfectly possible to waste, both one's own and, much more distressingly, that of others), your post, and forgive me for saying this, is rather pointless. The new syllogism recently introduced to PD ("If holist says I'm wrong, I am right") is actually false.

How do you cope with the cognitive dissonance your belief in the existence of this syllogism generates when people agree with you?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: hølist on December 17, 2012, 06:49:59 AM
How do you cope with the cognitive dissonance your belief in the existence of this syllogism generates when people agree with you?

I don't have to, because there's no cognitive dissonance there. The new syllogism was introduced, but was not universally adopted. This is actually what usually happens. And rightly so.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: holist on December 17, 2012, 06:55:07 AM
Quote from: hølist on December 17, 2012, 06:49:59 AM

I don't have to, because there's no cognitive dissonance there. The new syllogism was introduced, but was not universally adopted. This is actually what usually happens. And rightly so.

Keep on telling yourself that, little champion.

Patron Saint

Seek ye not enlightenment for the truth is the journey and the journey is the truth.