Principia Discordia > Principia Discussion

How best to describe Discordianism to the unaware?

(1/22) > >>

Patron Saint:
Being a devout discordian on days that end with q, I've found that from time to time I'm required to explain to the curious what discordianism is, which is like trying to tell an african child dealing with starvation what the internet is.

It usually doesn't go well.  I'll give my basic run through and see if anyone has a way to improve upon it because I've noticed some quirks.  I'm not trying to improve for the purposes of proselytizing, but just to satisfy those that are curious without them getting too quick an opinion and after that I'll explain the basic issues with this.

For starters though, I'll point out that it's not practical to just drop them the link since most people in the world have an attention span of squirrel! and can't be bothered to read words and stuff.  I'm trying to get a clear and concise message across with few words.

So here goes:

Prima: "Discordianism is an irreligion, which is to say it's not quite a religion at all in the usual sense."

Secunda: "So like flying spaghetti monster?" 

Prima:  "Sort of but not really.  Unlike FSM there is wisdom to be yielded one just needs to be insightful enough to separate the cream from the mixture."

Secunda:  "Like what?"

Prima:  "Well a lot of the teachings are rooted in Rinzai Zen, but I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as serious or drastic.  If anything it's a serious joke, jokingly serious... the concepts of paradox are kind of inherent in the teachings and one is instead encouraged to find their own way of being within the chaos of the world in a fashion that works for them."

This is usually where I run into problems, the term "joke" tends to automatically turn off the listener and they hear nothing else.  To some extent this can't be helped, some people won't think deeper than they are forced to, but I get the feeling it would be helpful I think to find a more eloquent way to explain that central concept without using a buzz word that will shut down their brains.

Thoughts?

McMegaDeff:
Sort of like proof of the pudding
====================================================================
exemplary status zod

Mesozoic Mister Nigel:
I tell people it's a philosophy related to Taoism, that encourages us to question everything and not take ourselves too seriously.

They seem to accept that pretty easily and it allows me to be honest with my co-workers without coming across as too much of a kook.

Patron Saint:

--- Quote from: hølist on December 17, 2012, 06:30:13 am ---I tell people it's a philosophy related to Taoism, that encourages us to question everything and not take ourselves too seriously.

They seem to accept that pretty easily and it allows me to be honest with my co-workers without coming across as too much of a kook.

--- End quote ---

fair enough.  Still looking to see more thoughts.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel:

--- Quote from: Patron Saint on December 17, 2012, 06:34:24 am ---
--- Quote from: hølist on December 17, 2012, 06:30:13 am ---I tell people it's a philosophy related to Taoism, that encourages us to question everything and not take ourselves too seriously.

--- End quote ---

fair enough.  Still looking to see more thoughts.

--- End quote ---

That was the only one I had

goodnight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version