News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Effective martial law in Paragould, Arkansas

Started by Cain, January 31, 2013, 09:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

What is this I don't even

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/29/arkansas_town_enacts_martial_law/

QuoteFollowing a rise in violent crime in Paragould, an Arkansas town of around 26,000 residents, the mayor and police chief announced that starting this month police in SWAT gear carrying AR-15s would patrol the streets.

"If you're out walking, we're going to stop you, ask why you're out walking, and check for your ID," police chief Todd Stovall told a December town hall meeting. As if to render the implementation of a visible police state more palatable, Stovall assured residents that police stops would not be based on any profiling: "We're going to do it to everybody," he said.

QuoteAccording to local news reports, the police department canceled two subsequent town hall meetings to discuss the heavy handed policing plan. Following outrage from Paragould residents, the police cited "public safety concerns" to cancel the meetings. Meanwhile, Paragould's mayor has reportedly dialed back his rhetoric around the amped up policing proposal and, according to the Arkansas Times, the mayor said patrolling police would not "constantly" be carrying assault rifles. Although announced to begin in January, no SWAT patrols have begun in Paragould yet.

So, they won't be constantly carrying AR-15's.  They'll just be armed men in combat armour, asking for your papers, citizen.  Nothing to worry about.

MMIX

QuoteWhat seems to be missing from the corporate media reports, following Stovall's inflammatory remarks, is a recent article in a local newspaper about Stovall's use of volunteers to strengthen the number of "crime fighters" in Paragould.  Apparently, the Reserve Unit, includes Stovall's brother who is allegedly building a database on Paragould citizens who have NOT committed a crime.  Stovall has allegedly authorized his own brother to build the database on Paragould citizens, without direct oversight from a trained member of the Police Department and most importantly, without obtaining a warrant.

http://globalpoliticalawakening.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/fear-and-loathing-in-paragould-arkansas.html

Gotta love modern technology

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

And now, we observe the Law of Eristic Escalation.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Heavily armed police in a violent meth area?

Nothing can go wrong here. Taking all bets, who gets shot first, a "Crazy Junkie" or "Law enforcement officer"?

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Nephew Twiddleton

Ive never even heard of this place. Why do they need stormtroopers on every corner?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

Elder Iptuous

jesus.
i would think that state level police would intervene before municipal jurisdictions were allowed to go all the way to code FUBAR.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on January 31, 2013, 03:31:51 PM
jesus.
i would think that state level police would intervene before municipal jurisdictions were allowed to go all the way to code FUBAR.

That's because you don't live in Arizona, Arkansas, or Florida.

But I hear old Rick Perry has some ideas of his own.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

tyrannosaurus vex

jesus.

Yeah. No. See, in True Conservative enclaves, the closer you are to the situation, the more authority you have. This mayor and his SWAT thugs might be assholes, and the state troopers might even agree (probably not but maybe), but according to the Law of the Good Ol' Boys, that's their town and its their God-given right to govern it as they please.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on January 31, 2013, 03:44:45 PM
jesus.

Yeah. No. See, in True Conservative enclaves, the closer you are to the situation, the more authority you have. This mayor and his SWAT thugs might be assholes, and the state troopers might even agree (probably not but maybe), but according to the Law of the Good Ol' Boys, that's their town Fief and its their God-given right to govern it as they please.

Fixed that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, this isn't martial law.  It's worse.

Martial law is conducted by military rules, and those rules are communicated to the public.  The people enforcing the rules also know the rules, and exist under military discipline.

What you have here is an armed lynch mob.

Cainad (dec.)

Ho-ho-holy shit. I'm not even sure how to react to this; being shocked just makes me feel like I haven't been paying attention.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 31, 2013, 01:07:48 PM
And now, we observe the Law of Eristic Escalation.

:popcorn:

Here's hoping no poor souls get curbstomped in the process, though.

Juana

:vom: :horrormirth:

Quote from: Junkenstein on January 31, 2013, 02:28:41 PM
Heavily armed police in a violent meth area?

Nothing can go wrong here. Taking all bets, who gets shot first, a "Crazy Junkie" or "Law enforcement officer"?

Smudgy person, who will be filled with lead and it will be claimed they were threatening police/volunteers while on meth.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."