News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

So, Uncle BadTouch's book

Started by East Coast Hustle, February 02, 2013, 06:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

I sure as hell don't want to actually READ the goddamned thing, but it's my understanding that he lifted content directly from this website.

It's also my understanding that, unless something has a previously existing intellectual property license, once it's posted here it is technically the intellectual property of the site owner.

If I'm correct, wouldn't that mean we could get Uncle BadTouch's book pulled from any sites or stores that are selling it? And we could even sue him if we wanted to, right?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Who's stuff, what, and when?  A lot of folks have declared their stuff Kopyleft.  I'm updating my own preferences on this from now forward.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,11808.0.html

If he violated any of these wishes the authors should take action.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on February 02, 2013, 06:02:09 PM
I sure as hell don't want to actually READ the goddamned thing, but it's my understanding that he lifted content directly from this website.

It's also my understanding that, unless something has a previously existing intellectual property license, once it's posted here it is technically the intellectual property of the site owner.

If I'm correct, wouldn't that mean we could get Uncle BadTouch's book pulled from any sites or stores that are selling it? And we could even sue him if we wanted to, right?

Naw.  It's the IP of the person who wrote it...Otherwise, YOU would be legally responsible for anything anyone wrote on PD.

However, people stealing content from a private board is usually a ISP issue, because this ISN'T a "public board".

Stella and I are looking into ways to make their lives difficult over this.  We may be able to have his book pulled from Amazon and one other distributor.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Indeed we may.

The publisher is VERY concerned.

QuoteWhat about this alternative solution - if you guys just don't want
Uncle BadTouch's name on it - why don't we publish the book with the other
names, transferring copyrights to the other authors - and removing
anything written by Uncle BadTouch? Do you know who exactly wouldn't give
permission, and how I can contact all of them to check? I would like
to either take the book out of print, or make 1 last edit that
everybody will be happy with - keeping only the people as authors who
give written permission. I did ask Uncle BadTouch if he had permission
before I published his book, and he said that he did.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Suu

I posted a comment to the publisher as well, as well as reviews on Amazon.

Start hitting the sites with reviews and emails. Get it pulled.

Even in the event of Kopyleft, taking sole credit for something not written by you is PLAGIARISM. Plain and simple.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Suu on February 03, 2013, 04:52:46 AM
I posted a comment to the publisher as well, as well as reviews on Amazon.

Start hitting the sites with reviews and emails. Get it pulled.

Even in the event of Kopyleft, taking sole credit for something not written by you is PLAGIARISM. Plain and simple.

Again:

http://www.amazon.com/Ek-sen-trik-kuh-Discordia-The-Tales-Shamlicht/dp/1937536181

http://anaphoraliterary.com/catalogue/new-age/reverend-Uncle BadTouch/

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

As far as I know, nothing of mine is in it. Gotta say, the sweetest finale to all this that I can imagine is if the real authors got credit and his name was removed from the book.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

I got an email from Anna, she's sent me a file of listed "contributors".  Unfortunately, windows 8 is being a pain, and I can neither respond to her nor download the attachment.  I'll get it on the other comp tomorrow, and put it up here and at facebook.  She is quite reasonably asking for everyone to respond once - I'll coordinate that - so she doesn't have to deal with 50 revisions.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

I don't think anything of mine is in there, either, but that's besides the point. Taking his name off the book would be a nasty blow. :)
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Be interesting to see the list of supposed contributors and who actually consented to their stuff being used.

I'm fairly certain none of my stuff is in there, given my own tone of Discordian clashes pretty strongly with Uncle BadTouch's, but at the same time, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see my name in the list.

Richter

No idea if anything has been re-titled, altered, etc. without access to the full text.  The only obvious PD bit in the table of contents was "Operation Mindfuck" IIRC.

I doubt I'm in it too, and never wrote anything here expecting profit beyond feedback or peer approval.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think it's revolting enough that he's using the names of people who never heard of him or his book project as "testimonials" with which to sell it. I wouldn't doubt, in light of that level of dishonesty, that he's also using uncredited work, but I'm reluctant to buy the book in order to find out, which is probably what he's counting on.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on February 04, 2013, 04:05:48 AM
I think it's revolting enough that he's using the names of people who never heard of him or his book project as "testimonials" with which to sell it. I wouldn't doubt, in light of that level of dishonesty, that he's also using uncredited work, but I'm reluctant to buy the book in order to find out, which is probably what he's counting on.

Anybody got contact info for R. Crumb?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Wuli Fufu on February 04, 2013, 04:24:55 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on February 04, 2013, 04:05:48 AM

Anybody got contact info for R. Crumb?

I already emailed the contact on his web page. Great minds!  :lol: