News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Honey Goes Good On Everything

Started by Doobie, March 13, 2013, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doobie

This is an absolute fact.

I especially love cooking my quasadillas in that sweet bee vomit.

So try some on something you've never had it before. Then tell me about the experience. It really, really works.

AFK

I tried some on the dessert of my dispassion and all I tasted was bitter disappointment.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

I know I shouldn't respond to this idiot, but I can't help myself.

Listen, dumbass, if you COOK honey, you're destroying all the compounds that make it honey. So you're really just cooking in sugary syrup at that point.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doobie

Which reminds me. Honey goes great on a chill pill, as well.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doobie on March 14, 2013, 07:44:44 AM
Which reminds me. Honey goes great on a chill pill, as well.

You're gonna go far, kid.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Balls Wellington on March 13, 2013, 03:24:44 AM
I know I shouldn't respond to this idiot, but I can't help myself.

Listen, dumbass, if you COOK honey, you're destroying all the compounds that make it honey. So you're really just cooking in sugary syrup at that point.

Even if it's just a glaze you put on towards the end? Like carrots or ham?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

East Coast Hustle

Depends on how long and how hot, and I don't actually know the exact time to temperature ratio at which it starts breaking down. For a quick glaze, you're probably just fine. I do that with mine and it still tastes like honey.

Of course, there's also the part where if you buy honey in a store in the US, there's literally about a 98% chance that it's already not actually honey.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

Quote from: Balls Wellington on March 14, 2013, 04:43:41 PM
Depends on how long and how hot, and I don't actually know the exact time to temperature ratio at which it starts breaking down. For a quick glaze, you're probably just fine. I do that with mine and it still tastes like honey.

Of course, there's also the part where if you buy honey in a store in the US, there's literally about a 98% chance that it's already not actually honey.

For real? :C

Well, there's always buying from people on the side of the road.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on March 14, 2013, 05:15:13 PM

For real? :C

Well, there's always buying from people on the side of the road.

Yeah, somebody or other tested a bunch recently and it was mostly not, legally speaking, honey.

I have a friend with a hive, and that's usually where I get mine. However, my former housemate, the psycho moron twat, used it all up BAKING. Like a total asshole.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Corn syrup?  :x :x :x
Can they label that as "pure honey" of sell it as "organic honey" or whatever?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

QuoteMore than three-fourths of the honey sold in U.S. grocery stores isn't exactly what the bees produce, according to testing done exclusively for Food Safety News.

The results show that the pollen frequently has been filtered out of products labeled "honey."

The removal of these microscopic particles from deep within a flower would make the nectar flunk the quality standards set by most of the world's food safety agencies.

In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration says that any product that's been ultra-filtered and no longer contains pollen isn't honey. However, the FDA isn't checking honey sold here to see if it contains pollen.

QuoteConcocting a sweet-tasting syrup out of cane, corn or beet sugar, rice syrup or any of more than a dozen sweetening agents is a great deal easier, quicker and far less expensive than dealing with the natural brew of bees.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on March 14, 2013, 06:05:08 PM

Corn syrup?  :x :x :x
Can they label that as "pure honey" of sell it as "organic honey" or whatever?

Not LEGALLY. But the FDA is understaffed and testing honey to make sure it's really honey is not high on their priority list.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-schiffman/most-store-bought-honey-i_b_1118564.html
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/#.UUIU3hlAtyA

But you can still buy real honey:

Quote•Bryant found that every one of the samples Food Safety News bought at farmers markets, co-ops and "natural" stores like PCC and Trader Joe's had the full, anticipated, amount of pollen.

And if you have to buy at major grocery chains, the analysis found that your odds are somewhat better of getting honey that wasn't ultra-filtered if you buy brands labeled as organic. Out of seven samples tested, five (71 percent) were heavy with pollen. All of the organic honey was produced in Brazil, according to the labels.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

On the other hand, NPR has a different take:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2011/11/25/142659547/relax-folks-it-really-is-honey-after-all

QuoteFirst of all, we learned that missing pollen actually is not evidence of "ultrapurification." We visited one of the country's top-tier honey packers, Dutch Gold, in Lancaster, Pa. We saw raw honey getting pumped through layers of white filters. Before the honey hit the filters, a powdered sedimentary rock called diatomaceous earth was added.

This is a standard, widely used process. It removes all the pollen, along with dust, bees' wings, and, of course, the diatomaceous earth. But it is not ultrafiltration, which filters out much more and produces a sweet substance that is no longer, in fact, honey.

The article goes on to say that DTE isn't allowed in organic honey, so that tends to indicate that the 25% or so labeled "organic" on grocery store shelves that doesn't contain pollen is not, in fact, organic.

LMNO

Question to myself: Do I really want to be eating stuff that's used to kill bedbugs?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 14, 2013, 07:06:37 PM
Question to myself: Do I really want to be eating stuff that's used to kill bedbugs?

Depends.  Do you have an exoskeleton?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.