News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Nigel & Cain: Your thoughts on this?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 20, 2013, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/20/17384666-colorado-department-of-corrections-chief-shot-dead-in-home?lite

Note that Colorado has 4 private prisons out of a total of 25 prisons, so 16%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Department_of_Corrections

So, THIS becomes relevant:

http://www.chieftain.com/news/region/reduced-crime-means-less-need-for-state-prisons/article_87c11482-7315-11e1-a435-0019bb2963f4.html

The prison closed was public, BUT:

QuoteWhite said the result of recent prison closures will be that the Legislature, prison officials and the governor's office will have to initiate a study of prison trends and figure out what the future holds for both private and state prisons. She said the state's four private prisons have 1,600 empty beds.

And this is just weird:

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/funding-panel-oks-more-doc-funds/article_6dad66a4-4651-11e1-af12-001871e3ce6c.html

QuoteThe department's overestimate of the population decline accounted for about half of its request for additional funds. The accelerated drawdown of inmates as soon-to-close Fort Lyon Correctional Facility brought on by unexpected staff resignations and an increase in parole revocations were other factors, according to Sobanet.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Interesting:

QuoteHundreds of Idaho inmates were transfered to Colorado in 2012 under an agreement with the Corrections Corporation of America. While the inmates are not in any of Colorado's public institutions, they are being held at one of CCA's private facilities, Kit Carson Correctional Center in Burlington, Colo.

Something is squirrely, here.  CCA signs a deal with Clements, bringing in "hundreds" of out-of-state convicts.   Yet they have 1600 empty beds in the 4 private prisons.

Then a month later, there's talk of shutting down two PUBLIC prisons.

Then 9 months later, Clements is shot dead.  Doesn't add up.  Smells reeeeeally funny, though.

Prediction:  Some ex-con is going to get this hung around his neck, and he'll get conveniently shot while being arrested.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wow, I really have no idea what to make of it, but it is just plain weird. All of it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 20, 2013, 06:22:30 PM
Wow, I really have no idea what to make of it, but it is just plain weird. All of it.

Gets weirder:

QuoteThe remaining 399 prisoners likely will be transferred to the state's three private prisons or other open prison beds throughout the state. By the end of the year, DOC will have enough new bed space to take 122 private prison inmates back.

By spending $1.1 million in one-time capital costs to add beds at the Arrowhead and Four Mile prisons in Canon City as well as the Buena Vista, Delta, Rifle and Sterling prisons, the state says it can save an estimated $1.5 million a year in private prison costs.

According to Hickenlooper's report, estimated cost for the state to house a prisoner is $20.32 a day, while the cost to house an inmate at a private prison is $52.69 a day.

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/doc-cuts-could-save-million/article_64a1ad66-3a60-11e0-8ab0-001cc4c03286.html

Hickenlooper is the governor of CO.

I'm looking at Clement's relationship with CCA in Missouri right now.  He was their boy, and then he gets a hit put on him.  No corrections officers lost their jobs in the shutdowns, and ex-cons kill guards, not bureaucrats.

My gut tells me CCA did the deed, but my head says it doesn't make any sense.  He was turning the 4 private prisons in CO into out-of-state housing AND transfers of in-state prisons, making them revenue centers for CCA at more than twice the cost of housing the prisoners privately.

There's more. BRB.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, that's the sticky thing... he seemed to be in the CCA's pocket, so why would they clean him?

Unless there's something more going on, or perhaps they have a dirtier backup ready to take his place.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I will say that something in this situation smells like desperation.

The Good Reverend Roger

Just before he left MO, he was - alongside CCA - sued over shitty conditions in the prisons there:

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/circuit-courts/ca8/11-2617/

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 20, 2013, 06:29:50 PM
Yeah, that's the sticky thing... he seemed to be in the CCA's pocket, so why would they clean him?

Unless there's something more going on, or perhaps they have a dirtier backup ready to take his place.

Or unless he was being investigated, and they wanted him quiet.

This doesn't sound like a murder motivated by a grudge, it sounds like a hit.

The Good Reverend Roger

What's bugging me:  He proposes huge savings for the state by moving prisoners to a facility that costs more than double to house them (???), then asks for the money back, because suddenly there's this huge increase in parole violations, supposedly.  Then he gets shot.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 20, 2013, 06:33:06 PM

It does sound like a hit. Exactly like one.

The only thing I can come up with is pure speculation.

Cain

I've only got speculation so far, and my head is fuzzy due to lack of sleep.

Definitely interested though...might take me until tomorrow to do some digging, but I'm interested enough to give it a good, long look.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 20, 2013, 06:36:31 PM

Take a sniff of this:

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/scans/grassrootsleadership/cca.pdf

Especially the bottom of page 3.

Also, 1400+ inmates were released, rather than transferred to CCA's Kit Carson facility.

The Good Reverend Roger

CCA and the now-defunct Lehman Bros bank were damn near incestuous.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, CCA isn't a PATCH on Wackenhut Corrections.

WOW.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 20, 2013, 06:40:34 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 20, 2013, 06:36:31 PM

Take a sniff of this:

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/scans/grassrootsleadership/cca.pdf

Especially the bottom of page 3.

Also, 1400+ inmates were released, rather than transferred to CCA's Kit Carson facility.

This is very interesting, because it would seem to validate my impression that it reeks of desperation; that the CCA is foundering, and is resorting to desperate measures.

It still leaves me with nothing in the "Why?" department, though. Unless Clements was, as you mentioned, being investigated... or unless, to take it a step farther, he was distancing himself from the CCA because he was actively participating in an investigation.