News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Kentucky Legalizes weed (for Rastafarians)

Started by Pergamos, March 26, 2013, 08:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 26, 2013, 08:47:24 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on March 26, 2013, 08:46:28 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 26, 2013, 08:45:04 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on March 26, 2013, 08:44:22 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 26, 2013, 08:31:38 PM
Pergamos, the bill specifies "State laws and ordinances". That means it wouldn't take precedence over Federal laws like, say, those prohibiting polygamy or marijuana.

It would, however, allow religiously-run medical organizations to deny services that are against their religion's "deeply held beliefs".

It doesn't say anything about state laws and ordinances in the text of the bill.  I'd assume that arresting someone is "substantially burdening their exercise of religion"

Well, Permagos, you just keep on believing, in this best of all possible worlds.

I'm just hoping some litigation happy Rastafarian uses it to challenge an arrest.

I don't think I've ever heard of a litigation-happy Rastafarian.

Santo Daime succesfully got a religious exemption for ayahuasca, without a bill like this to lean on even, so I can certainly see it happening.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on March 26, 2013, 08:50:04 PM
Pergamos, the bill specifies "State laws and ordinances". That means it wouldn't take precedence over Federal laws like, say, those prohibiting polygamy or marijuana.

It would, however, allow religiously-run medical organizations to deny services that are against their religion's "deeply held beliefs".

It doesn't say anything about state laws and ordinances in the text of the bill.  I'd assume that arresting someone is "substantially burdening their exercise of religion"

Well, Permagos, you just keep on believing, in this best of all possible worlds.

I'm just hoping some litigation happy Rastafarian uses it to challenge an arrest.

Santo Daime succesfully got a religious exemption for ayahuasca, without a bill like this to lean on even, so I can certainly see it happening.

Excellent.  And in the meantime, all those homosexuals can GTFO and women can just SHUT THEIR LEGS if they don't want kids. 

Progress:  It's a wonderful thing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

I mean, sure, thousands of people will be shat on for being who they are, but there's a potential that maybe, possibly, some guy might challenge a weed bust based on this, and he has a realistically NONEXISTENT chance of winning it that state, but statistically, it's a greater-than-zero chance, so let's DO THIS THING.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pergamos on March 26, 2013, 08:50:04 PM

In Kentucky.

A Rastafarian.

And you still somehow seem to be assuming that this bill is intended to supercede Federal law. ALL Federal laws, because it doesn't specify any.

Pretty sure it's not.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 26, 2013, 09:00:58 PM

In Kentucky.

A Rastafarian.

See my sig for clarification.

TGRR,
Is reasonably certain they'd assume it was some form of Islam and go full potato.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 26, 2013, 09:06:05 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 26, 2013, 09:00:58 PM

In Kentucky.

A Rastafarian.

See my sig for clarification.

TGRR,
Is reasonably certain they'd assume it was some form of Islam and go full potato.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Pergamos, I have one very simple question for you.

Have you COMPLETELY lost the plot?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If ANYONE is likely to decide to use it to challenge the Federal government, it's a polygamist organization like the FLDS. Not a Kentucky Rastafarian.

Pergamos

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 27, 2013, 01:41:46 AM
If ANYONE is likely to decide to use it to challenge the Federal government, it's a polygamist organization like the FLDS. Not a Kentucky Rastafarian.

Also something that would be kind of awesome, because you know it wasn't what the Kentucky legislature intended.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pergamos on March 27, 2013, 02:26:44 AM

Also something that would be kind of awesome, because you know it wasn't what the Kentucky legislature intended.

Also probably won't happen, because the Feds (and most states) only give a fuck about polygamy if there are allegations of forced marriages and/or child abuse.

There is, however, a current Supreme-Court challenge of the anti-polygamy laws in Utah.

The Good Reverend Roger

I still think it's a great idea to throw the pill and Gays under the bus on the off chance that a Kentucky Rastafarian will take this to court.

Pergamos

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 27, 2013, 02:40:14 AM

I still think it's a great idea to throw the pill and Gays under the bus on the off chance that a Kentucky Rastafarian will take this to court.

Hey, I like it when stupid intolerant people do things that bite them in the ass.  Just let me laugh at all the misery will you?  It sucks for gays and women and other human beings in the state of Kentucky, but did anyone expect things there not to suck for them?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 27, 2013, 02:31:25 AM

Also probably won't happen, because the Feds (and most states) only give a fuck about polygamy if there are allegations of forced marriages and/or child abuse.

There is, however, a current Supreme-Court challenge of the anti-polygamy laws in Utah.

That came out wrong. I mean there's a challenge of the anti-polygamy laws that is on its way to the Supreme Court. Not that the Supreme Court is challenging anti-polygamy laws.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on March 27, 2013, 02:53:54 AM

Hey, I like it when stupid intolerant people do things that bite them in the ass.  Just let me laugh at all the misery will you?  It sucks for gays and women and other human beings in the state of Kentucky, but did anyone expect things there not to suck for them?

Well, that's one way of looking at things.

Martin Luther King, for example, should have SHUT UP and LIKED IT.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pergamos on March 27, 2013, 02:53:54 AM

Considering that a sizable proportion of the population in areas of Kentucky passed bills to make things suck less for gays and women and other human beings, it really is a step backward. However, hopefully it will be a step that dramatically backfires at the ones who want it.