News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Kentucky Legalizes weed (for Rastafarians)

Started by Pergamos, March 26, 2013, 08:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Pergamos on March 27, 2013, 02:53:54 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 27, 2013, 02:40:14 AM
Quote from: Pergamos on March 27, 2013, 02:26:44 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 27, 2013, 01:41:46 AM
If ANYONE is likely to decide to use it to challenge the Federal government, it's a polygamist organization like the FLDS. Not a Kentucky Rastafarian.

Also something that would be kind of awesome, because you know it wasn't what the Kentucky legislature intended.

I still think it's a great idea to throw the pill and Gays under the bus on the off chance that a Kentucky Rastafarian will take this to court.

Hey, I like it when stupid intolerant people do things that bite them in the ass.  Just let me laugh at all the misery will you?  It sucks for gays and women and other human beings in the state of Kentucky, but did anyone expect things there not to suck for them?

so it's worth women and queers getting thrown under the bus for yer theoretical lulz, is it?

(note, this is a rhetorical question, I have you down as having shifted 1 or more points towards fucking asshole)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pixie on March 27, 2013, 03:08:23 AM
If ANYONE is likely to decide to use it to challenge the Federal government, it's a polygamist organization like the FLDS. Not a Kentucky Rastafarian.

Also something that would be kind of awesome, because you know it wasn't what the Kentucky legislature intended.

I still think it's a great idea to throw the pill and Gays under the bus on the off chance that a Kentucky Rastafarian will take this to court.

Hey, I like it when stupid intolerant people do things that bite them in the ass.  Just let me laugh at all the misery will you?  It sucks for gays and women and other human beings in the state of Kentucky, but did anyone expect things there not to suck for them?

so it's worth women and queers getting thrown under the bus for yer theoretical lulz, is it?

(note, this is a rhetorical question, I have you down as having shifted 1 or more points towards fucking asshole)

I am thinking/guessing/hoping that what he means by it is along the lines of what I said above, about it backfiring on them horribly and resulting in net progress despite it being a clearly regressive law.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pergamos

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 27, 2013, 03:29:39 AM

I am thinking/guessing/hoping that what he means by it is along the lines of what I said above, about it backfiring on them horribly and resulting in net progress despite it being a clearly regressive law.

I did.  I don't know exactly what the possible ramifications of the law are, I was hoping that they include the legislature feeling like idiots because they seem to have made a law that supports weed smoking, polygamy, and other things that they did not intend.  I would be amused by that and I suspect that the women and gays who are the unfortunate actual target of the law would as well.  It would, hopefully, result in the law being revoked as completely unworkable, and then bigots couldn't hide behind the defense of religion.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on March 27, 2013, 03:32:52 AM

I did.  I don't know exactly what the possible ramifications of the law are, I was hoping that they include the legislature feeling like idiots because they seem to have made a law that supports weed smoking, polygamy, and other things that they did not intend.  I would be amused by that and I suspect that the women and gays who are the unfortunate actual target of the law would as well.  It would, hopefully, result in the law being revoked as completely unworkable, and then bigots couldn't hide behind the defense of religion.

You're sort of ignoring cognitive dissonance, here.  Today's argument is tomorrow's vilified social abortion.  And they don't even blink.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pergamos

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 27, 2013, 03:36:09 AM

You're sort of ignoring cognitive dissonance, here.  Today's argument is tomorrow's vilified social abortion.  And they don't even blink.

True.  I have to keep fighting to laugh at it though, otherwise I'll just start screaming.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The only problem with that hope is that as a State law that doesn't specifically contradict ANY Federal laws, it is unlikely to be construed to contradict ALL Federal laws that could be considered to restrict free expression of religion. It is limited to state laws and regulations, most of which, presumably, are things like age of consent, availability of reproductive medicine, taxes, and equal rights for gays.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The potential value of the law, however, is that if something like, say, job discrimination in Kentucky is challenged all the way up to the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court decides that it is unconstitutional to discriminate against someone because they're gay, then that becomes the law of the land and city or state regulations are no longer necessary. So, the backlash might ultimately be worth it.

Pergamos

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 27, 2013, 03:46:48 AM
The potential value of the law, however, is that if something like, say, job discrimination in Kentucky is challenged all the way up to the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court decides that it is unconstitutional to discriminate against someone because they're gay, then that becomes the law of the land and city or state regulations are no longer necessary. So, the backlash might ultimately be worth it.

ooh, I hadn't even thought of that potential silver lining.  That would be awesome.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pergamos on March 27, 2013, 03:48:10 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 27, 2013, 03:46:48 AM

ooh, I hadn't even thought of that potential silver lining.  That would be awesome.

It's kinda what's happening with Prop 8 today.

Bruno

That "Sincerely Held" clause is going to make abusing this law a little harder. I've never really liked the idea of the government being able to decide what is a "Legitimate" religion and what is not.

So, yeah. The Butt Nekkid Church of Gay Sex on Police Cars will probably be openly discriminated against on the grounds of not being sincere enough.

Still, there have to be ways to abuse this law that will make these assholes sorry they ever came up with it.
Formerly something else...

Pergamos

Quote from: Emo Howard on March 27, 2013, 10:19:31 AM
That "Sincerely Held" clause is going to make abusing this law a little harder. I've never really liked the idea of the government being able to decide what is a "Legitimate" religion and what is not.

So, yeah. The Butt Nekkid Church of Gay Sex on Police Cars will probably be openly discriminated against on the grounds of not being sincere enough.

Still, there have to be ways to abuse this law that will make these assholes sorry they ever came up with it.

Public nudity is a sincere religious belief for Wiccans...

Cain

Founded by two British perverts in the 1950s for the express purpose of doing drugs and seeing women dance naked.

Not a valid religion.

Pergamos

Quote from: Cain on March 27, 2013, 06:43:46 PM
Founded by two British perverts in the 1950s for the express purpose of doing drugs and seeing women dance naked.

Not a valid religion.

The military recognizes it.  Are you some sort of anti-patriotic Solder hater?

Cain

Yup.  Solders suck.  I've always hated soldering stuff.

And of course the military recognizes it.  They let gays in and everything.  More proof of Obama's anti-American, anti-Christian agenda.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.