News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Tennessee getting ready to throw poor students under the bus.

Started by Bruno, April 04, 2013, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Juana Go? on April 09, 2013, 12:39:04 AM
Quote from: V3X on April 08, 2013, 11:49:23 PM
What I want to know is -- again, as a spectator here -- at what point does one's privilege mark them for expanded scrutiny and skepticism when they renounce their entitlement to that privilege in favor of expanding the privilege to the status of a universal right for everyone? Is it when they have something to gain, personally, if the cause wins (other than the comforting knowledge that the cause won, that is)? If that's it, then why is it a problem if they do gain something if the cause wins? Is the cause mutually exclusive with every other kind of benefit to every other kind of person? At that point, is there perhaps a hint of entitlement associated with the cause itself, where a victory might not be considered "complete" if it becomes pinned to advancing some "lesser" goals for "lesser" people?
It's not an issue of special scrutiny. It's an issue of people not acting like cookie seekers*

*The cookie seeking behavior when a privileged person acts like the fact that they do not actively want to hurt/kill/oppress a group means they are ~brave~ and ~special~ instead of decent human beings. White people don't get cookies for being brave enough to think that PoC shouldn't have to deal with an inherently racist police and justice system. Cishets don't get cookies for thinking that queers deserve equal protection under the law, including access to domestic violence and homeless shelters. Sometimes - a lot of the time, even, depending on the issue - privileged people do act like that. It's very LOOK AT ME! LOOK HOW I'M DIFFERENT!

I feel like this thread should be re-named Summer of Feminism 2.0 or something.

Sooooooo

You SEEM to be saying that it's not ok for anyone to publicly identify themselves as being for equality for groups other than their own, because in expressing their belief they are asking for special treatment, and as such it is inherently an expression of privilege?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah, I got nothing to say to that. Other than the fact that it's completely, radically brain-dead and goes against the very concept of applying social pressure for advancing equality.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 01:26:16 AM
Let's just try that out, Sita:

Quote from: original statement
Hell hath no fury like a white cishet man with his feelings hurt. :lulz:

Quote from: variation 1
Hell hath no fury like a transgendered person with his feelings hurt. :lulz:

Quote from: variation 2
Hell hath no fury like a Black woman with her feelings hurt. :lulz:

Yep.  Nailed it one, Sita.

Well, except the last one. The last one is pretty much true. That's why everyone's afraid of you, because you're an Angry Black Woman.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 09, 2013, 02:42:44 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 01:26:16 AM
Let's just try that out, Sita:

Quote from: original statement

Quote from: variation 1
Hell hath no fury like a transgendered person with his feelings hurt. :lulz:

Quote from: variation 2
Hell hath no fury like a Black woman with her feelings hurt. :lulz:

Yep.  Nailed it one, Sita.

Well, except the last one. The last one is pretty much true. That's why everyone's afraid of you, because you're an Angry Black Woman.

Quite right, I had forgotten.

Wow.  Suddenly, I am frothing all over the place.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

navkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 02:30:16 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 09, 2013, 02:04:16 AM
Quote from: Juana Go? on April 08, 2013, 09:19:32 PM

Jesus fuck, really? Hell apparently also hath no sense of entitlement to bigotry like a privileged white college girl, either.

Way to be an astonishing hypocrite and undermine the whole position.

Thing is, this is one of those moments where a person (me) has to step back and say "this person does not represent the position".

I personally feel like your daughter won the thread by proxy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Jesus fuck, really? Hell apparently also hath no sense of entitlement to bigotry like a privileged white college girl, either.

Thing is, this is one of those moments where a person (me) has to step back and say "this person does not represent the position".

Yeah, YOU can. But you're over 40, very intelligent, and well-informed. What worries me is the people who don't know better, who might end up making the mistake of thinking that she and her statement DO represent the position and those who ally themselves with it, and then never give it a second thought.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on April 09, 2013, 02:46:07 AM

I personally feel like your daughter won the thread by proxy.

She has that effect.   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Johnny

Or if i said something like:

"I hate all Pinko 'Murricans"

Just because my fellow Mexicans get treated like shit by SOME white americans, doesn't mean im entitled to make sweeping generalizations.

EDIT: Or wait! Maybe I am entitled and i have been missing out all along!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

All I can hope is that Juana simply had a really shitty gender studies professor who indoctrinated her in some of these terrible ideas, and that they will shift over time as she is exposed to less... well, less completely shitty, unacceptable bullshit.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 09, 2013, 02:46:48 AM

Yeah, YOU can. But you're over 40, very intelligent, and well-informed. What worries me is the people who don't know better, who might end up making the mistake of thinking that she and her statement DO represent the position and those who ally themselves with it, and then never give it a second thought.

You don't even have to imagine it.  This is the sort of shit Limbaugh makes mad bank from.

"See, everyone?  They want special rights!  They're man haters!", etc, etc.

And guess who reaches more people?  Limbaugh or Garbo?

Shit, my sister just turned into a damn dittohead, from what I gather.  Fortunately for me, I haven't had any reason to speak to her since my grandfather died.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Damn, I kind of hate to leave now, because the board has been HOPPING today, apparently. But I have to go to my friend's birthday dinner.

I anticipate a lot of reading material when I get back.  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 09, 2013, 02:48:10 AM
All I can hope is that Juana simply had a really shitty gender studies professor who indoctrinated her in some of these terrible ideas, and that they will shift over time as she is exposed to less... well, less completely shitty, unacceptable bullshit.

Judging from the youtube link, I'd argue that it goes a bit farther than that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 09, 2013, 02:49:44 AM
Damn, I kind of hate to leave now, because the board has been HOPPING today, apparently. But I have to go to my friend's birthday dinner.

I anticipate a lot of reading material when I get back.  :lulz:

Go forth!  Have fun!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Johnny on April 09, 2013, 02:47:43 AM

Or if i said something like:

"I hate all Pinko 'Murricans"

Just because my fellow Mexicans get treated like shit by SOME white americans, doesn't mean im entitled to make sweeping generalizations.

Precisely.  Another person's privilege doesn't give license for bigotry on your own part.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 02:49:04 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 09, 2013, 02:46:48 AM

You don't even have to imagine it.  This is the sort of shit Limbaugh makes mad bank from.

"See, everyone?  They want special rights!  They're man haters!", etc, etc.

And guess who reaches more people?  Limbaugh or Garbo?

Shit, my sister just turned into a damn dittohead, from what I gather.  Fortunately for me, I haven't had any reason to speak to her since my grandfather died.

Yeah, it pretty much reinforces what they already have been told to expect, as well as serving to effectively "us" and "them" us.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 02:50:08 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 09, 2013, 02:48:10 AM

Judging from the youtube link, I'd argue that it goes a bit farther than that.

Yeah, there seems to be a whole subculture of it. And that's a shame, really, because I know a fuckton of nonwhite and/or nonmale and/or noncis and/or nonhetero people, including myself, who are not at all represented by that subculture and DO NOT LIKE the fact that the people in it seem to be presuming to speak for everyone.