News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Upton Sinclair - Terrorist

Started by deadfong, April 07, 2013, 05:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadfong

Speaking of ALEC:

www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/us/taping-of-farm-cruelty-is-becoming-the-crime.html

QuoteThey proposed or enacted bills that would make it illegal to covertly videotape livestock farms, or apply for a job at one without disclosing ties to animal rights groups.

QuoteSome of the legislation appears inspired by the American Legislative Exchange Council, a business advocacy group with hundreds of state representatives from farm states as members.

QuoteOne of the group's model bills, "The Animal and Ecological Terrorism Act," prohibits filming or taking pictures on livestock farms to "defame the facility or its owner." Violators would be placed on a "terrorist registry."

What was it in that other thread?  Criminalize all the things?
:horrormirth:

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: deadfong on April 07, 2013, 05:03:44 PM
Speaking of ALEC:

QuoteThey proposed or enacted bills that would make it illegal to covertly videotape livestock farms, or apply for a job at one without disclosing ties to animal rights groups.

QuoteSome of the legislation appears inspired by the American Legislative Exchange Council, a business advocacy group with hundreds of state representatives from farm states as members.

QuoteOne of the group's model bills, "The Animal and Ecological Terrorism Act," prohibits filming or taking pictures on livestock farms to "defame the facility or its owner." Violators would be placed on a "terrorist registry."

Because factory farms shouldn't be interfered with when they beat cows with tire irons and keep them standing in poop knee deep.
FREE ENTERPRISE
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cainad (dec.)

There's no damn reason at all that anyone should need or even want to know where their meat comes from.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: deadfong on April 07, 2013, 05:03:44 PM
Speaking of ALEC:

Yep. Have any of you watched "Food, Inc"? It's... disturbing. People are afraid to say that they don't eat meat because they can get sued. Farmers losing their contracts because they let journalists into their farms.

This is a good topic and really deserves its own thread. I'll be writing about it a lot this term because it's the focus of my writing class.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Cainad on April 07, 2013, 05:18:29 PM
There's no damn reason at all that anyone should need or even want to know where their meat comes from.

IF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT E COLI TELL THEM TO PUT SOME CLOROX OR SOMETHING IN IT

And yeah. Food Inc. is an eye opener and a half.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hey, if you guys don't mind, I'm going to request a thread split because I actually really do think Deadfong's link and topic deserve a whole thread. I'd like to delve into it a little more deeply, because the food corporation issues are really, really fucked up.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Cain

Split.  Feel free to rename the thread - I gave it this one for reasons of personal amusement.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on April 07, 2013, 05:46:23 PM
Split.  Feel free to rename the thread - I gave it this one for reasons of personal amusement.

:lulz: I like it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Isn't it amusing that showing bad practices on a factory livestock farm could fall under the heading of "ecological terrorism", considering what those farms do to the ecology?

MOAR E-COLI ON MY SPINACH, PLEASE.

So, we have issues like highly virulent strains of e-coli emerging as a direct result of factory farming practices, and more people becoming ill or dying of food-borne illnesses every year, often as a result of spraying unprocessed animal waste on vegetable crops, plus we have contaminated water and, best of all, the emergence of FUCKING KILLER VIRUSES that breed in these environments like they were petri dishes, but if you try to call attention to this or show images of it, you're a goddamned terrorist.

Yay.

deadfong

"Terrorism" now equals non-violent action that threatens the status quo / bottom line.  I swear, no matter how pessimistic I was when I was younger, I never really believed we'd end up living in 1984.

The thread split is a good idea, by the way.  Though I had a moment of mild panic when I first saw it - I didn't remember posting a new thread with such an awesome title.  Was afraid maybe pd.com was doing things to me.

Pergamos

This seems like a really obvious freedom of the press issue.  I can't see this standing up in court at all.

The Good Reverend Roger

Missing the point, here.

Defamation now equals terrorism.

MORE TO THE POINT:

Terrorism is no longer "causing terror to achieve a political objective", and is now "anything we don't like."

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

It's terrorism if you're trying to scare people. Killing them is just fine.  :horrormirth:

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2013, 12:31:52 AM
Missing the point, here.

Defamation now equals terrorism.

MORE TO THE POINT:

Terrorism is no longer "causing terror to achieve a political objective", and is now "anything we don't like."

And cameras are the same as bombs.
Unless it's THEIR cameras.