News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

PICS VIII: 10% LARGER THAN PICS VII

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, April 12, 2013, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 03, 2014, 03:44:00 PM
Philip Seymore Hoffman OD'd last night in NYC.

I don't know why but I'm having a hard time being sympathetic about this whole thing like everyone else...  Maybe it's the meds fluctuating. 

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bu☆ns on February 03, 2014, 04:05:27 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 03, 2014, 03:44:00 PM
Philip Seymore Hoffman OD'd last night in NYC.

I don't know why but I'm having a hard time being sympathetic about this whole thing like everyone else...  Maybe it's the meds fluctuating.

46 years old is too old for an OD.  Christ, even Keith Richards knows that.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

A lot of people seem to be taking the "duh" approach to the fact that he died from heroin overdose. I don't even know who the guy was but a little bit of respect dies each time someone I think should know better expresses contempt rather than compassion for the death of a person who had to have been horribly emotionally tormented and/or psychologically damaged in order to succumb to such a nasty, dangerous drug. Heroin so often seems to be a form of self-punishment, the way heavy drinking is. If he had been a terrible person in his life I could understand the contempt a little better, but as it stands, I can only perceive it as insecurity and weak-mindedness on the part of those expressing it; a desire to elevate themselves over some poor dead junkie because they "know better" and he ostensibly didn't.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It feels pretty similar to expressing contempt for those who commit suicide. Suicide is a shitty shitty thing to do to the people you leave behind, but nobody in their wholly right mind does it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 03, 2014, 05:22:39 PM
A lot of people seem to be taking the "duh" approach to the fact that he died from heroin overdose. I don't even know who the guy was but a little bit of respect dies each time someone I think should know better expresses contempt rather than compassion for the death of a person who had to have been horribly emotionally tormented and/or psychologically damaged in order to succumb to such a nasty, dangerous drug. Heroin so often seems to be a form of self-punishment, the way heavy drinking is. If he had been a terrible person in his life I could understand the contempt a little better, but as it stands, I can only perceive it as insecurity and weak-mindedness on the part of those expressing it; a desire to elevate themselves over some poor dead junkie because they "know better" and he ostensibly didn't.

There's a certain level of venom on FB that reminds me of "I HOPE JUSTIN BEIBER GETS RAPED IN JAIL HURRR HURRR", but there's also a lot of :(

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 03, 2014, 05:23:37 PM
It feels pretty similar to expressing contempt for those who commit suicide. Suicide is a shitty shitty thing to do to the people you leave behind, but nobody in their wholly right mind does it.

It is by definition a mentally ill act, which should inspire some level of sympathy.  Unless you're bailing from a horrible terminal illness or something, in which case sympathy is still in order.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Over the last few days I've had quite a few acquaintances go out of their way to demonstrate to me that they aren't really people I want to know, actually, so I'm probably a little more touchy about this than usual.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 03, 2014, 05:24:05 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 03, 2014, 05:22:39 PM

There's a certain level of venom on FB that reminds me of "I HOPE JUSTIN BEIBER GETS RAPED IN JAIL HURRR HURRR", but there's also a lot of :(

Yeah I'm just going through and weeding out the people who are openly total monsters. I don't know if they think they're being "edgy" or what, I don't want to know them.

The people who are all sad and grieving a Hollywood celebrity I don't really get either, but I'll give them a pass because at least they're demonstrating some normal human attachment and compassion.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 03, 2014, 05:27:15 PM
Yeah I'm just going through and weeding out the people who are openly total monsters. I don't know if they think they're being "edgy" or what, I don't want to know them.

They remind me too much of Jonathan Bost.  When I see someone write something like that, I ask them to consider what they just said.  Invariably, they dig in their heels and I go to the control panel.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 03, 2014, 05:28:48 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 03, 2014, 05:27:15 PM

They remind me too much of Jonathan Bost.  When I see someone write something like that, I ask them to consider what they just said.  Invariably, they dig in their heels and I go to the control panel.

Yeah I just blocked one who felt for some reason the need to inform me via private message that he feels no compassion for Mia Farrow's kid because her letter "guilt-tripped" him about liking Woody Allen movies.

I don't know whether the whole thing is a lie and Farrow had her daughter brainwashed. Could be, sure. But why he decided that he needed to express that particular sentiment to me privately, I have no idea.  Patrick Livingston or somesuch name.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 03, 2014, 05:35:34 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 03, 2014, 05:28:48 PM

Yeah I just blocked one who felt for some reason the need to inform me via private message that he feels no compassion for Mia Farrow's kid because her letter "guilt-tripped" him about liking Woody Allen movies.

I don't know whether the whole thing is a lie and Farrow had her daughter brainwashed. Could be, sure. But why he decided that he needed to express that particular sentiment to me privately, I have no idea.  Patrick Livingston or somesuch name.

Oh, that nut?  Somehow, he's in my feed, too.

Cain

Suu

We got into a pretty in-depth discussion on addiction last night on my Facebook. My friend Kyle, who's mother and father have battled with heroin addiction his whole life, is devoting his career to helping others try to overcome it. While my typical reaction to ODs is me shaking my head and going, "I wish people would know better by now" I know it's not as easy as that. Then we had the diabetic come in and tell us that addiction isn't really a disease, because she has a really real for real disease. So I gave her some Professor Cramulus to watch and told her to fuck off.  When I was 16 years old, I had to "babysit" my neighbor's daughter as she was going through withdrawals. Holy. Fuck. NO. That is a goddamn sickness, and it scared the living shit out of me, but at the same time, I think that's why I may hold some contempt for those that will put themselves into that situation. There's a whole lot of "why?!" floating around in my head, but everybody has their own vices that even I cannot comprehend. I would be lying if I said I wasn't addicted to caffeine, so in a way, I'm a bit of a hypocrite.

Do I lose respect for people who willingly poison themselves in attempts to get high? Yes, but, I also gain a whole new level of respect for them if they can beat it. My friend John has been sober since 2003. It took him 2 years in prison and his wife leaving him, but it snapped him out of it, and now he's just stuck very hard on caffeine and nicotine, but is doing really well on the cigarette front.  Addiction is nasty, it's more than a disease, imo, it's beyond that. Personally, I am all for the decriminalization of small possessions, in hopes that it will have people openly seeking help instead of hiding it in fear of repercussions.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

For what it's worth, PS Hoffman was a pretty amazing actor. Won an oscar for Capote, and has been a staple in borderline-Hollywood movies that make you uncomfortable.