News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Cain and other UK spags! Tories trying to cripple the UK equality law.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, April 15, 2013, 11:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

QuoteUrgent call for action.

The coalition government plans to sneak through legislation to remove rights to equality tomorrow.

It is the repeal of part 1 s3 General Duty of the Equality Act 2006 and is worded as below:

3 General duty
The Commission shall exercise its functions under this Part with a view to encouraging and supporting the development of a society in which—
(a)people's ability to achieve their potential is not limited by prejudice or discrimination,
(b)there is respect for and protection of each individual's human rights,
(c)there is respect for the dignity and worth of each individual,
(d)each individual has an equal opportunity to participate in society, and
(e)there is mutual respect between groups based on understanding and valuing of diversity and on shared respect for equality and human rights.

If this goes through in laymans terms it will mean:

(1) people's ability to achieve their potential is limited by prejudice or discrimination.
(2) there is no respect for and protection of each individual's human rights.
(3) there is no respect for the dignity and worth of each individual.
(4) each individual does not have an equal opportunity to participate in society.
(5) there is no mutual respect between groups based on understanding and valuing of diversity and on shared respect for equality and human rights.

This is nothing more than an attempt to prevent legal challenges to their ill thought out and damaging policies.

Write to your MP now and ask them to vote against this travesty. PCS have a page which lets you email your MP, all you have to do is enter your postcode.

http://action.pcs.org.uk/page/speakout/save-section-3

This popped up on my FB feed today.

Thoughts? |My thought is while the working class are busy with the "ding dong, the Witch is Dead" they are burying this!

Cain

Well, as far as I can tell, this refers to the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill.  Among other things, the Bill repeals the third-party cover provisions of the 2010 Equality Act.

Link:

QuoteSection 40 of the Equality Act 2010 introduced the concept of third-party harassment, whereby an employer will, in certain circumstances, be liable for the harassment of an employee where it is carried out by a third party, for example a customer or supplier. Earlier this year, the Government launched a consultation on proposals to repeal these provisions on the basis that there is "no evidence to suggest that the third-party harassment provisions are serving a practical purpose or are an appropriate or proportionate manner of dealing with the type of conduct that they are intended to cover".

Somewhat questionable, but not as bad as the above article is making out.  There seems to be some chicanery regarding the Agricultural Wages Board and Defra, looking at the third reading, but eh.

I'm more worried about this:

QuoteA government-imposed cap on many benefit payments nationwide is beginning in four London boroughs.

Couples and lone parents in Haringey, Enfield, Croydon and Bromley will not receive more than £500 a week while a £350 limit applies to single people.

The cap is set to be imposed across England, Scotland and Wales between July and September.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pixie on April 15, 2013, 11:07:15 AM
QuoteUrgent call for action.

The coalition government plans to sneak through legislation to remove rights to equality tomorrow.

It is the repeal of part 1 s3 General Duty of the Equality Act 2006 and is worded as below:

3 General duty
The Commission shall exercise its functions under this Part with a view to encouraging and supporting the development of a society in which—
(a)people's ability to achieve their potential is not limited by prejudice or discrimination,
(b)there is respect for and protection of each individual's human rights,
(c)there is respect for the dignity and worth of each individual,
(d)each individual has an equal opportunity to participate in society, and
(e)there is mutual respect between groups based on understanding and valuing of diversity and on shared respect for equality and human rights.

If this goes through in laymans terms it will mean:

(1) people's ability to achieve their potential is limited by prejudice or discrimination.
(2) there is no respect for and protection of each individual's human rights.
(3) there is no respect for the dignity and worth of each individual.
(4) each individual does not have an equal opportunity to participate in society.
(5) there is no mutual respect between groups based on understanding and valuing of diversity and on shared respect for equality and human rights.

This is nothing more than an attempt to prevent legal challenges to their ill thought out and damaging policies.

Write to your MP now and ask them to vote against this travesty. PCS have a page which lets you email your MP, all you have to do is enter your postcode.

http://action.pcs.org.uk/page/speakout/save-section-3

This popped up on my FB feed today.

Thoughts? |My thought is while the working class are busy with the "ding dong, the Witch is Dead" they are burying this!

Toldja.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.