News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Things go boom

Started by LMNO, April 15, 2013, 08:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 20, 2013, 01:20:19 AM
The full extent of the United States seems to involve putting an entire city under effective martial law to catch two men.

It doesn't matter if he's caught alive or not.  He's won.

Somebody won.

There is now precedent for "locking down" a major city.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 20, 2013, 02:11:22 AM
The full extent of the United States seems to involve putting an entire city under effective martial law to catch two men.

Somebody won.

And The People are screaming for it. They're just going to be dissapointed the police didn't string him up then and there. They want the city to be locked down because JESUS there's terrorists out there!

Watch every debate about this event fail to recognize the needless security, and peoples reaction to it.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cain

As you know, I mostly believe the idea that the US state and international terrorism are opposed to each other is a laughable fiction.  No matter what each "side" claims, their activities sustain each other.  Symbiosis, not competition.

Suu

I'm also relieved. After they released the BOLO for CT and RI, I felt fucking paranoid walking around today. I thought a lot to myself, "If this happened here, could Providence handle it?" It always kept coming back to "No way." That's not a comforting thought.

This is going to cause a lot of issues. People are going to have conspiracy theories, people are going to have collective shitfits over the lockdown, and people are going to push more gun agendas, and probably pressure cooker agendas or some shit. But all I know is that for 3 hours yesterday, I stood with good people, people who dropped their issues for a short period of time to come together and protect and support a city in a time of crisis. I got sunburned and dehydrated waiting for a small group of pussies to show face, and I didn't care. It was a $20 roundtrip on the train well spent. I just wish that wouldn't be temporary.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Somebody won.

Yeah.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

But they took him alive and I admire that. And Boston's gonna rock all night long, even if it's mostly drunk monkeys screaming for all the wrong things.

The Future(TM) will get here soon enough.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 20, 2013, 02:14:45 AM
As you know, I mostly believe the idea that the US state and international terrorism are opposed to each other is a laughable fiction.  No matter what each "side" claims, their activities sustain each other.  Symbiosis, not competition.

Well, sure.

Who benefited from this?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on April 20, 2013, 02:16:41 AM
I'm also relieved. After they released the BOLO for CT and RI, I felt fucking paranoid walking around today. I thought a lot to myself, "If this happened here, could Providence handle it?" It always kept coming back to "No way." That's not a comforting thought.

This is going to cause a lot of issues. People are going to have conspiracy theories, people are going to have collective shitfits over the lockdown, and people are going to push more gun agendas, and probably pressure cooker agendas or some shit. But all I know is that for 3 hours yesterday, I stood with good people, people who dropped their issues for a short period of time to come together and protect and support a city in a time of crisis. I got sunburned and dehydrated waiting for a small group of pussies to show face, and I didn't care. It was a $20 roundtrip on the train well spent. I just wish that wouldn't be temporary.

The $20 was the cheap part of the fare, if you know what I mean.

Cain

Everyone except the people in Boston.

Obama's been angling for an indefinite detention law, has he not?  The FBI and CIA and NSA and DIA and all the other three letter agencies get continued funding.  America's oversea "allies" continue to get their cut of the pie, no matter their position on human rights.  The racists and religious bigots get to cry "the Green Peril!"  And on the other side, the Islamists* will claim, not unfairly, that they brought a major American city to a standstill by killing three people, that they bloodied the nose of the Great Satan yet again, that Americans are cowards and hypocrites who deserve to be punished.

*assuming this is the ideological inspiration

Nephew Twiddleton

There's no winners here. And it is a very bad precedent. I was not happy at all with the ENTIRE METROPOLITAN AREA being shut down over Watertown.

I really am not, it was unreasonable. Extremely unreasonable.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

Quote from: Alty on April 20, 2013, 02:14:19 AM

Somebody won.

And The People are screaming for it. They're just going to be dissapointed the police didn't string him up then and there. They want the city to be locked down because JESUS there's terrorists out there!

Watch every debate about this event fail to recognize the needless security, and peoples reaction to it.

I can assure you that everyone I know that posts here, and other friends I have in the Boston area did not "scream" for it. It fucked up the region from New York to Boston as far as commuting and business is concerned. We may be mostly liberal up here, but we're fucking assholes, and there's a lot of us.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Yeah. The aftermath and wake of this will be awful.

Salty

Quote from: Suu on April 20, 2013, 02:24:26 AM
Quote from: Alty on April 20, 2013, 02:14:19 AM

Somebody won.

I can assure you that everyone I know that posts here, and other friends I have in the Boston area did not "scream" for it. It fucked up the region from New York to Boston as far as commuting and business is concerned. We may be mostly liberal up here, but we're fucking assholes, and there's a lot of us.

:lol: I sensed you might take that that way. Sorry about that.

Not the people who were in the thick of it, the people who watched it on TV without registering the reality of it, the people on my FB page who "want answers" but live 5000 miles away.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Nephew Twiddleton

There's a small chance I might get fired over this lock down. We don't get snow days and I didn't make my hours, and I'm out of benefit time. This was one hell of a snow day. I emailed my supervisor. The response I got was "we'll see what we can do on Monday, but no promises."

So fuck this guy and fuck the precedent.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queef Erisson on April 20, 2013, 02:33:16 AM
There's a small chance I might get fired over this lock down. We don't get snow days and I didn't make my hours, and I'm out of benefit time. This was one hell of a snow day. I emailed my supervisor. The response I got was "we'll see what we can do on Monday, but no promises."

So fuck this guy and fuck the precedent.

Yeah, you've got one hell of a lawsuit sitting in front of you if they fire you.

Essentially, you will have been fired for not breaking the law.

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 20, 2013, 02:25:08 AM
Yeah. The aftermath and wake of this will be awful.

My friend Ned who's a commuter from Prov lost 3 days of work this week because of his office or the trains being shut down. He works IN Copley Place. He is not getting paid for missing this time, and, because of the nature of his job, he got screamed at on the phone all day Wednesday and Thursday by clients, ALL in Massachusetts, about not being there to take their calls.

Welcome to New England. Now shut the fuck up, hard-on, I want my medium iced regular and a real fuckin' person on the phone.