News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Thread tips for new members

Started by Faust, May 22, 2013, 12:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Iiiiiiiiiiiieeee don't even know what to make of that image. What is it supposed to be representative of?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Golden Applesauce

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Left

Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 22, 2013, 07:18:04 PM
I am now shedding Angry Black Woman CIS Man Tears.  Jerks.   :cry:

:hustle:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypseâ„¢

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pixie on May 26, 2013, 05:30:46 PM
http://iliveinashed.tumblr.com/post/51396335576/privilege-theory-and-a-little-re-frame-of-the-shit-that

a blog I wrote that is maybe relevant

I liked it, I think that was some useful advice.

It kind of reminded me, on a semi-related topic, I had a slightly awkward conversation I had with a white friend yesterday morning.

It went like this.

White friend:
Quotehttp://theblackportlanders.com/

It is innocuous except I think it will mostly be used by white people for proving to each other that they live in a diverse city?

Me:
QuoteThey do that, and it's incredibly irritating when people go on about how "white" Portland is

I mean, it's nice to see a project that recognizes that black people exist here as something other than a statistical fraction.

Who cares what white people do with it? It's not about them.

White friend:
Quotei suppose

The thing that was odd about the conversation was that I got the sense that he was sending me the link because he found it amusing and ironic (I kind of loved it, in a completely non-ironic way) and then his mind went promptly to white people's response. It's not about white people. It's not for white people's benefit. It is about one of Portland's "invisible" (because "we don't see race", right?) populations and celebrating the fact that we DO live in this city alongside our white friends and neighbors.

Portlandia sort of shoved the invisibility of Portland's black and brown people to the forefront, because despite being filmed primarily in Portland neighborhoods that are historically black (and are still about 50/50, despite gentrification), the first couple of seasons didn't reflect the population of the neighborhoods at all. The show could have been renamed "White Portlandia". I don't think there was a single black face in the first season, even as a passer-by in the background.

So this photo project really resonates with me, and it seems like it resonates with a lot of Portland's hipsters of color. Maybe now people will stop saying "Portland is just so white" all the damn time.

I kind of doubt it though.

This photo project also inspired me to do one of my own, called "White Men". The reason I want to do this is because the white male is typically the presumed default, the eye behind the lens. You see photoessays of black women, indian women, hispanics, etc. all with an eye for their difference and supposed beauty (due to being different, outside the norm). I want to do a photoessay of white men through the lens of a non-white non-male, capturing their "differentness". I don't know if I can pull it off, but I'm going to try.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

If anybody can pull that off, it's you.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks! Time to bust out my old 35mm.

Faust

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on May 26, 2013, 04:05:04 AM
I don't even know the lingo for whatever I am. Y'all are oppressing me with your label privilegedness. CISHETEMOMOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

Fortunately for you there are overly specific flow charts and radial plots to help you find you exactly who you are.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Faust on May 26, 2013, 08:45:42 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on May 26, 2013, 04:05:04 AM
I don't even know the lingo for whatever I am. Y'all are oppressing me with your label privilegedness. CISHETEMOMOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

Fortunately for you there are overly specific flow charts and radial plots to help you find you exactly who you are.

And if that doesn't work, they're making up new shit daily!
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Don Coyote

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 26, 2013, 05:46:54 PM

This photo project also inspired me to do one of my own, called "White Men". The reason I want to do this is because the white male is typically the presumed default, the eye behind the lens. You see photoessays of black women, indian women, hispanics, etc. all with an eye for their difference and supposed beauty (due to being different, outside the norm). I want to do a photoessay of white men through the lens of a non-white non-male, capturing their "differentness". I don't know if I can pull it off, but I'm going to try.

YES

http://iliveinashed.tumblr.com/post/51396335576/privilege-theory-and-a-little-re-frame-of-the-shit-that

Imma forward this to one of my friends.

Left

At first I thought "Aw hell, pixie's getting seriousness in our goofy thread!"

Then I was like, "Oh hey, pix gets what it's like to be genderqueer, whether pix is or not."
SQUEE!  :banana:

...I really like getting called "sir" by clerks, although then they act all afraid I'm gonna complain or something...Not that I mean to scare them, or anything.

One guy who owned his own business did say (quietly) to his buddy standing next to him: "Hey, is that a woman or a man?  Whatever, man..." 
And when my ears aren't congested I have really good hearing  :lol:

I am worried I'm going to get yelled at in a public restroom.
...I go by genitalia, but I sort of feel like I'm lying when I use either the mens' or the ladies'.

Online I will answer to either male or female pronouns and wonder what it tells me about the person who is addressing me...
This brings up the question...am I situationally male or female???
I think that would be genderfluid, and I'm not sure I'm that changeable.

(Genderfluid...is that something you can use to get your rust-locked male and female connectors loose? kind of like WD-40?)

I used to get bugged by stupid rednecks: "Is that a man or a woman? hurhurhurrr..." 
Funny, since I accepted I was metaphorically "intersexed between the ears"  nobody fucks with me. 
You just have to carry yourself like you can and will fuck back, which I absolutely can and will do now.  :evil:

...Body language is really important, I think, to not getting fucked with.

My ex-wife is actually way more likely to go explodey than myself.  I'm pretty sure she's an Aspie, and one thing (of many) she fails to do is make eye contact. 
That's typical for Asperger's people.
The thing is, it signals to most people she'll back down, is submissive, therefore a good target.
Except it's a false signal.

She sends out FALSE body-language signals all the time, like getting physically tense when she's really interested in something. 
I was constantly freaking out with her b/c I thought she was pissed-off...and no, she was just interested in something or other.
I have PTSD, and she had a way of triggering me all the freaking time.
I also felt like I was constantly trying to convey to her who I was and what I was about for the last ten years...and failed to do so.
...Leaving me to believe none of us ever really understand one another.
:sad: It took me ten years to figure out that just because she's a moral and brilliant person, with gender issues of her own, we're still not ANY good for each other.  Divorce was final in April.

Pix said this:
Quote"hey, please don't discredit this experience I have on a regular basis just because you have never seen or experienced it, would be nice if you could listen and take my word for it."

I'm white, and I honestly think that is part of what kept me from being charged with something some "buddies" of mine did. 
Racism is real, sexism is real, gender roles ARE enforced (sometimes violently).
http://jezebel.com/5840016/woman-sentenced-to-prison-for-beating-transgender-woman-in-mcdonalds

Ok, enough.
[/serious shit]

Left

Dunno if this thought is polite or not, but I thought "I would totally date this guy."
...Why? Brainy. Sad, kind eyes. Lots of hair to run my hands through-I bet when he undoes it it's a huge cloud of hair.

Is Portland not terribly diverse?  THAT sucks.
Houston has a magnificently diverse population and I LOVE it.
...Texas cities can be cool, but drive 5 miles outside the cities and you can appropriately cue up "dueling banjos."

Faust

Please don't complain about using this thread for Serious discussion.

This can be a jovial thread as well.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Left

Quote from: Faust on May 26, 2013, 10:36:39 PM
Please don't complain about using this thread for Serious discussion.

This can be a jovial thread as well.

I just didn't planet to be a serious post, at first.