News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Thread tips for new members

Started by Faust, May 22, 2013, 12:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on May 28, 2013, 01:01:21 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 26, 2013, 10:53:22 PM
Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on May 26, 2013, 10:23:33 PM

Dunno if this thought is polite or not, but I thought "I would totally date this guy."
...Why? Brainy. Sad, kind eyes. Lots of hair to run my hands through-I bet when he undoes it it's a huge cloud of hair.

Is Portland not terribly diverse?  THAT sucks.
Houston has a magnificently diverse population and I LOVE it.
...Texas cities can be cool, but drive 5 miles outside the cities and you can appropriately cue up "dueling banjos."

Diversity is in the eye of the beholder.

Portland is about 80% white. Most of the White people in Portland are not from Portland. They come from all over the country, and there's also a large Ukrainian population. So that's one kind of diversity.

There are neighborhoods, like mine, that are roughly 50% Black. There are others that are roughly 50% Hispanic, and some that are heavily Asian. This whole neighborhood was German before it was Black.

Albina used to be very much mostly black, but it got gentrified, and now on any given night you can go into any bar on Mississippi and listen to white hipsters complain about the lack of diversity while they look right through the Black and Hispanic patrons.

100% of the people I have heard complaining about the lack of diversity here have been White. Maybe they thought they were going to get brownie points or something.

A friend of mine has been repeating for a year or two about how he hates Portland and wants to move to Oakland because white guys will go out of their way to fuck with him here. As in, cross the street, purposefully walk into him, and spew racial epithets to start a fight—apparently because he's a huge black dude in a hoodie that just wants to mind his own goddamn business. He just wants to be ignored in public, he's a quiet, sensitive guy.

He used to live in NW, which is not only predominantly white, but full of rich douches, as I'm sure you're well aware. But even then, he shouldn't have to put up with that shit. I've never witnessed any of this, and being an arrogant white guy, obviously never had to deal with it either. I've told him he needs to come chill in NE where people wouldn't dare pull that racist shit, but he had to move to Tigard to take care of his mom so now he's stuck even deeper in an even more ghastly white neighborhood only they're fatter there too.

I just can't write that off as no big deal.

That really sucks ass. I don't doubt that he has had some shitty experiences, especially living on the "wrong" side of the river.

Portland has some weird entrenched racism. I can't remember, but I think I might have posted a link that talks about that?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."