News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

On having a Muse.

Started by EK WAFFLR, May 29, 2013, 11:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

Lately I've been thinking about writing, and what makes people write in the first place.

I have come to the conclusion that I need a Muse.
Now, I've all my life thought that a Muse is a Significant other, A female person, perhaps, a lady, you know - an opposite person of the contradictory gender.
But I've changed my mind. A muse, for all intents and purposes, is someone that you NEED to understand what you're trying to say.

So, I've chosen a Muse. Be warned. It might be a crappy road ahead, because I really, REALLY need to get my writing skills in order.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

EK WAFFLR

And I know it is customary for the Muse to choose you, but I say FUCK the rules. STICK IT TO THE MAN
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Waffles, Viking Princess of Northern Belgium on May 29, 2013, 11:22:04 PM
Lately I've been thinking about writing, and what makes people write in the first place.

Actually, it mostly requires discipline.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

I do like this, though:

Quote from: Waffles, Viking Princess of Northern Belgium on May 29, 2013, 11:24:59 PM
And I know it is customary for the Muse to choose you, but I say FUCK the rules. STICK IT TO THE MAN
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 29, 2013, 11:45:45 PM
Quote from: Waffles, Viking Princess of Northern Belgium on May 29, 2013, 11:22:04 PM

That is the most important part, of course, but I think, or like to convince myself, that it is easier if you write to or for someone.

[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Waffles, Viking Princess of Northern Belgium on May 30, 2013, 12:08:03 AM

That is the most important part, of course, but I think, or like to convince myself, that it is easier if you write to or for someone.

Oh, yeah.  Damn near everything I write is done that way.  Even when it's work related.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2013, 12:08:45 AM
Quote from: Waffles, Viking Princess of Northern Belgium on May 30, 2013, 12:08:03 AM

Oh, yeah.  Damn near everything I write is done that way.  Even when it's work related.

I probably should have clarified that in the OP, but that is waht I mean by a Muse. (See, I need this!)

[/b]

EK WAFFLR

[/b]

The Johnny

On a serious note:

Sitting down in complete quiet for one minute, then make some introspection about your mood; let your mood guide you to pick a song to put on; start writing on a blank piece of paper (let it flow, you can edit it later).

I don't do it as often because it's not a matter of inspiration for me, it's a matter of effort and emotional costs; for it to be of any meaning what we actually write we have to be emotionally invested in it and it can easily be very dark and painful and i just dont have the emotional surplus to do it very often.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I definitely find that writing for or about someone is a huge factor for me. Even if I know they'll never read it, but especially when I know that eventually they will.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 30, 2013, 12:33:14 AM
I definitely find that writing for or about someone is a huge factor for me. Even if I know they'll never read it, but especially when I know that eventually they will.

This is what I've been lacking all these years.

Call it laziness, or a lame excuse, but I do firmly believe that that is the reason I haven't been able to write much, despite me having so much on my mind that needs to be said. I genuinely believe I cannot write for the sake of writing.

Quote from: The Johnny on May 30, 2013, 12:26:33 AM

On a serious note:

Sitting down in complete quiet for one minute, then make some introspection about your mood; let your mood guide you to pick a song to put on; start writing on a blank piece of paper (let it flow, you can edit it later).

I don't do it as often because it's not a matter of inspiration for me, it's a matter of effort and emotional costs; for it to be of any meaning what we actually write we have to be emotionally invested in it and it can easily be very dark and painful and i just dont have the emotional surplus to do it very often.

I will try that.

[/b]

Q. G. Pennyworth

Have you tried switching to pencil and paper instead of computer for your first drafts? I've had some good luck breaking up the writers block with that trick. That and moderate to severe sleep deprivation...

Richter

Even framework on "How to write" varies a lot with the individual.  I've never needed a muse so much as something under my skin enough.  Sort of the Spider Jerusalem method, I can't do shit when I'm not surrounded by things I loathe.

Why I won't say no to inspirational partners, I reject the idea that one is needed. 

That said, if one spurs you on, then work it dude. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Richter on May 30, 2013, 04:05:52 AM
Even framework on "How to write" varies a lot with the individual.  I've never needed a muse so much as something under my skin enough.  Sort of the Spider Jerusalem method, I can't do shit when I'm not surrounded by things I loathe.

Same here.  Fortunately, I live on Earth, so that is rarely a problem.
Molon Lube