News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Twid's spiritual exploration thingie.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 27, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Almost done with Christianity. Again. I'm going to nominally continue until October 31st, but I'm pretty much done. I might come back to it again, but I honestly can't even bring myself to go to confession, even now. Fucked if I'm sorry. I will have no absolution. I don't want it. I am answerable only unto myself. I don't need a morally ambiguous desert god to forgive me for things when he's guilty of crimes against humanity. If I can't forgive myself, then how do I expect mercy from a god who by his own sacred texts is more often an asshole than not, letting his only son die notwithstanding?

Suggestions for next religion, fake ones are in play, as long as they are developed enough to follow. Also, if you can, recommend a duration.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Try Rinzai Taoism. It's pretty awesome, because people just assume that you're coming from the high ground when actually you're just being an asshole.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 27, 2013, 07:06:45 AM
Try Rinzai Taoism. It's pretty awesome, because people just assume that you're coming from the high ground when actually you're just being an asshole.

I thought Rinzai was a school of thought within Zen Buddhism?

Though, I must admit, I'm feeling a simultaneous pull towards both Buddhism and Greco-Roman Stoicism. I'll have to reread both, but those are the two main draws right now.

Oh, also, as a reminder to both self and reader, I'm supposed to take something away from each religion.

What I take away from Christianity (Roman Catholicism, specifically) are the following:

1) God is fallible. This is easily demonstrated by planting a tree, telling his top work not to eat the fruit, and then being surprised when they do. He might know all, but he's apparently bumbling.
2) The idea that one man who never met me dying for my salvation is abhorrent to me. Not  because I don't appreciate the gesture, but the idea that someone is paying for my crimes against God 2000 years in advance seems more than a little unfair to him.
3) Said guy has yet to leave the Nashville bus station.
4) I respect Roman Catholicism insofar as it has been the religion of my ancestors for at least a millennium. I will continue to show a certain amount of respect for it, out of respect for my ancestors.
5) Fucking Vatican needs to shut the fuck up and keep its opinions in Rome and not weigh in on the policies of a secular republic on an entirely different continent. Fuck the Pope. Fuck Rome. You don't half ass separation of church and state, especially in a secular republic founded by nominally Protestant deists.

The Johnny

ive heard about this one religion where you can be the pope, actually, everyone is the pope...

its called protestantism
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Johnny on June 27, 2013, 07:20:46 AM

ive heard about this one religion where you can be the pope, actually, everyone is the pope...

its called protestantism

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

No.

Twid,
Southern Irish.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, one Jesus is bad enough. I'm not going to jump from Inquisition to heresy, especially where said heresy has 50,439 denominations.

And that's just in the South.

The Johnny

and how about agnosticism? it has all the benefits of atheism without the asshole parts
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on June 27, 2013, 07:18:13 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 27, 2013, 07:06:45 AM

I thought Rinzai was a school of thought within Zen Buddhism?

Though, I must admit, I'm feeling a simultaneous pull towards both Buddhism and Greco-Roman Stoicism. I'll have to reread both, but those are the two main draws right now.

Rinzai, AKA Linji Yixuan, was a major figure in Buddhism, but so the fuck what? He was a giant asshole who said some really cool stuff. Philosophically, I am FAR more of a Taoist than a Buddhist, as I am more interested in being at ease in my world than transcending it. I find that Rinzai said a lot of shit that rocks, therefore I can call myself a Rinzai Taoist.

JUST BECAUSE I MADE IT THE FUCK UP DON'T MEAN IT AIN'T A REAL RELIGION, MOTHERFUCKER.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Johnny on June 27, 2013, 07:31:05 AM

and how about agnosticism? it has all the benefits of atheism without the asshole parts

Asshole parts being lack of spiritual fulfillment and no promise of afterlife?

I was an agnostic Catholic for the past year. Agnosticism isn't a spiritual system, it's a stance on whether or not a spiritual system can be definitely known as true or untrue, the answer to which being, "don't know, dude."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on June 27, 2013, 06:58:24 AM
Almost done with Christianity. Again. I'm going to nominally continue until October 31st, but I'm pretty much done. I might come back to it again, but I honestly can't even bring myself to go to confession, even now. Fucked if I'm sorry. I will have no absolution. I don't want it. I am answerable only unto myself. I don't need a morally ambiguous desert god to forgive me for things when he's guilty of crimes against humanity. If I can't forgive myself, then how do I expect mercy from a god who by his own sacred texts is more often an asshole than not, letting his only son die notwithstanding?

Suggestions for next religion, fake ones are in play, as long as they are developed enough to follow. Also, if you can, recommend a duration.

Nigel, I will take it under advisement.

Perhaps you can be my Kumare.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on June 27, 2013, 07:38:02 AM

I was an agnostic Catholic for the past year. Agnosticism isn't a spiritual system, it's a stance on whether or not a spiritual system can be definitely known as true or untrue, the answer to which being, "don't know, dude."

I'm a hardcore agnostic. I don't know if there is a god, can't truly know and don't fucking care. All I care about is not being an asshole, and it works for me. Deeds, not words. :P non theistic spirituality totally interests me though. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't see that much of a point in being a follower in someone else's religion.

The Johnny

asshole part being a zealous Dawkins fangirl... also i tend to view them as Grudgy McHater positivists... yeah, long story.

true that, agnosticism aint really spiritual...

ever think of pantheism? not in the sense of everything being god, but rather in the sense of existance being sacred?

anyways, ill stop talking for now, im on the insomnia looney threshold

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Pixie on June 27, 2013, 07:43:39 AM

I'm a hardcore agnostic. I don't know if there is a god, can't truly know and don't fucking care. All I care about is not being an asshole, and it works for me. Deeds, not words. :P non theistic spirituality totally interests me though.

Rationally, if there is a Creator, he's the clockmaker, or perhaps more appropriately, research assistant with a petri dish or computer simulation, type of deity. We're a really interesting result of a controlled experiment with set parameters (like, light speed, water being an excellent solvent, and carbon having an almost limitless amount of compounds). Maybe even God noticed us as a whole, but probably not as individuals.

Many of my selections will be theistic by necessity, but I think I am more inclined to a deistic, semi-attached to the lab rats, type of god.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 27, 2013, 07:47:10 AM
I don't see that much of a point in being a follower in someone else's religion.

That's part of the beauty that was this fake guru, Kumare. He flat out told his followers that they were their own guru, and when he revealed that he was just some Indian-American from New Jersey, some of them walked out like they were decieved.