News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Twid's spiritual exploration thingie.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 27, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

HE'S LIKE THE SAGAN OF PARTICLE PHYSICS.  BUT HE'S FUNNIER. AND COOLER. AND PLAYED THE DRUMS.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 03:48:09 AM
HE'S LIKE THE SAGAN OF PARTICLE PHYSICS.  BUT HE'S FUNNIER. AND COOLER. AND PLAYED THE DRUMS.

I SEE THE BIAS HERE. BUT IF HE'S A FUNNIER SAGAN I'LL TAKE IT.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 23, 2013, 03:49:46 AM

His lectures are WELL worth listening to. Even if you don't understand them, he's funny as hell.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Yeah, I have bias.  But the dude is legit.  and his QED lectures are the shit.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 23, 2013, 03:50:42 AM

His lectures are WELL worth listening to. Even if you don't understand them, he's funny as hell.

I like Sagan a lot, but funny is never something that I would think about him, except here and there, especially if it was a veiled reference to him being a pothead, or something or other. Sagan I get more of a sense of awe, which is probably why he resonates with me so much. Tyson I associate with humor. But I like the idea of a funny physicist.

LMNO

ok, I should set expectations.  He's funny for a physicist.  But he's a REALLY funny physicist.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 22, 2013, 05:32:09 AM
I haven't been ignoring this thread due to discomfort but rather due to academic obligations (for reasons that are about to be clear).

I've been expecting this, and, weird as it is, I've decided to be honest and give my interpretation of it.

God said, "You are God."

I interpret this to mean that the panentheist model is correct (or that I was just loudly talking to myself on a subconscious level), and that I, as an individual have a self-determined destiny to see about, and I'm not seeing about it, and God had to tell me flat out to stop worrying about me and start worrying about me. If that makes sense. I interpret it as "there is work to be done. You alone can determine what that work is." It was, however, a loud and clear voice that fell silent after is spoke.

It could also be interpreted to mean that the Buddhist model is correct, everything is one, separateness is an illusion and you don't have to do a damn thing.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 03:58:09 AM
ok, I should set expectations.  He's funny for a physicist.  But he's a REALLY funny physicist.

I'm liking him already from the clip Nigel provided. Science can be funny as hell. It's all about the delivery.

Also, as two musicians, we're doing applied physics, which is something I like. I might understand it less than you, but it's still fun.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on November 23, 2013, 03:59:36 AM
I haven't been ignoring this thread due to discomfort but rather due to academic obligations (for reasons that are about to be clear).

I've been expecting this, and, weird as it is, I've decided to be honest and give my interpretation of it.

God said, "You are God."

I interpret this to mean that the panentheist model is correct (or that I was just loudly talking to myself on a subconscious level), and that I, as an individual have a self-determined destiny to see about, and I'm not seeing about it, and God had to tell me flat out to stop worrying about me and start worrying about me. If that makes sense. I interpret it as "there is work to be done. You alone can determine what that work is." It was, however, a loud and clear voice that fell silent after is spoke.

It could also be interpreted to mean that the Buddhist model is correct, everything is one, separateness is an illusion and you don't have to do a damn thing.  :lol:

Both can be simultaneously correct. I'm not a Buddhist yet though.  :wink:

Anna Mae Bollocks

"DRUMMER" IS ALWAYS A RECOMMENDATION TOO.

LMNO

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 23, 2013, 04:01:39 AM

God said, "You are God."

Buddhism needs you.
I think the last one here was Hugh.  :x

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on November 23, 2013, 04:02:20 AM

"DRUMMER" IS ALWAYS A RECOMMENDATION TOO.

SOMEONE HAS TO KEEP ME IN TIME.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 04:03:00 AM
Aw.  Hearts.  Feels.

Drummers get made fun of but Rock and Metal would be very boring without the bombastic drive of the drums. Also, you're an awesome drummer and as someone who made a stab at playing them, I respect proficiency at that a lot.

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on November 23, 2013, 04:04:28 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 23, 2013, 04:01:39 AM

God said, "You are God."

Buddhism needs you.
I think the last one here was Hugh.  :x

Buddhism will have to wait, though that was a strong contender with Judaism this round.

Nephew Twiddleton

Actually, one of the best parts of listening to Rammstein is that their drummer is a strong drummer. His beats are pretty straightforward but it gives them that drive. And every so often he comes out with something interesting that grabs your attention more than the rest of the band, such as in Morgenstern, which has a bit of a Latin beat (mostly chorus).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LhmoZ_Q4ps

Or, taking Cradle of Filth's whole album Damnation and a Day where they hired, I think an orchestra and choir from Budapest, and when they heard it they were either freaked out or hated it, with one exception- the percussionist who was like, "Doze drums"