News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Twid's spiritual exploration thingie.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 27, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

to be honest, i've always been jealous of guitarists who can be purposely sloppy and make the band sound "loose" and "free", but a single sixteenth note out of place and you're a "shit band".

Most of the bands I've loved (after the Art Rock phase) are exactly that.  completely fucked delivery, except for the rhythm section.  Bastards.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 04:22:56 AM
to be honest, i've always been jealous of guitarists who can be purposely sloppy and make the band sound "loose" and "free", but a single sixteenth note out of place and you're a "shit band".

Most of the bands I've loved (after the Art Rock phase) are exactly that.  completely fucked delivery, except for the rhythm section.  Bastards.

String players get a bit of slack because where they may lack on timing, they can make up for in dexterity. A nasty solo or intriguing bass line that is slightly offbeat is still respected because it is considered difficult and technical. Drums are no easier, but it's seen as being an interesting metronome, so the emphasis for a drummer is being tight. You even said it yourself with Pete and how he wasn't bringing it and how doing double bass might help that.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Let's think about that phrasing too. Offbeat. Offbeat is a euphemism for someone who's kinda weird but in a good way.

LMNO

oh, i know.  In a way, I'm more annoyed I can't get drunk before a show, but the singer is all, "let's see how much whiskey I can drink before the set!"

But if it was easy, anyone could do it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 04:34:52 AM
oh, i know.  In a way, I'm more annoyed I can't get drunk before a show, but the singer is all, "let's see how much whiskey I can drink before the set!"

But if it was easy, anyone could do it.

Well to be honest, it's not that hard to play stringed instruments while hammered. Singing on the other hand....

Twid,
had to do a gig a few hours after my uncle's funeral. Nailed guitar, but was swaying all over the fucking place and sang like shit on Stare At the Sun.

LMNO

You're not exactly changing my mind, here...

Nephew Twiddleton

Gig in question:

After that night I swore that buzzed was the most I would get before getting on stage. Hammered is for after.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 04:49:01 AM
You're not exactly changing my mind, here...

Well, your singer is also your bassist. It's not like you can miss those frets.

Twid,
Talking about bass.

LMNO

OSNAP.

True, though, both guitarists are the rythm section, with those dueling arpeggios.

Nephew Twiddleton

That may have come across as unintentionally harsh. Timing is essential for drums. Vocal cords are essential for singing. Alcohol directly impacts vocal performance, not out of just imprecision, but also because it dehydrates the vocal cords. High notes get difficult to hit.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 05:04:27 AM
OSNAP.

True, though, both guitarists are the rythm section, with those dueling arpeggios.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 23, 2013, 05:06:43 AM
That may have come across as unintentionally harsh. Timing is essential for drums. Vocal cords are essential for singing. Alcohol directly impacts vocal performance, not out of just imprecision, but also because it dehydrates the vocal cords. High notes get difficult to hit.

This explains Tom Waits.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

LMNO

All true.  No offense taken.

I've found myself from playing drums at 20, downing a six pack per practice, and getting so wasted at shows I'd take speed to be able to play a set, to keeping it sort of dry at shows so I could perform well, to not even drinking at practice, because the guys needed a solid beat.

Drumming as a path to sobriety -- who would have thought?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 05:20:11 AM
All true.  No offense taken.

I've found myself from playing drums at 20, downing a six pack per practice, and getting so wasted at shows I'd take speed to be able to play a set, to keeping it sort of dry at shows so I could perform well, to not even drinking at practice, because the guys needed a solid beat.

Drumming as a path to sobriety -- who would have thought?

Entire generations of rock n rollers are now bawling their crusty eyes out.   :cry:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.